High-powered magnet balls recalled; Sold exclusively on Amazon.com
Date: Jan. 30, 2013
Units: About 106,000
When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child’s intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. No incidents or injuries have been reported to this product directly. However, there have been 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 reports seeking medical intervention. This recall involves all Magnet Balls “The Original and Rainbow Bright interactive magnet sets sold in a cylindrical silver tin. The products were sold on Amazon.com from August 2010 through May 2012 for about $20.