Two Massachusetts companies have been indicted for allegedly not paying unemployment insurance taxes, including one business that failed to fork over more than $805,000, authorities said.
John Harvey, 58, of Holden, and his Worcester-based general contractor business, Francis Harvey and Sons, Inc., each face six counts of non-payment of employer contributions, the state attorney general’s office announced today, citing a recently returned Suffolk County grand jury indictment.
From April 2011 through Oct. 2012, Harvey allegedly failed to pay more than $805,000 in unemployment tax to the state Department of Unemployment Assistance, the attorney general’s office said.
Ricardo Dopao, 45, of New Bedford, and his North Dartmouth-based business, Ricardo’s Towing Service, Inc., each face 23 counts of non-payment of employer contributions and failure to furnish information to the state unemployment department, according to the attorney general’s office.
From April 2008 through Oct. 2013, Dopao allegedly failed to pay more than $70,000 in state unemployment tax, officials said.
Dopao and his company are scheduled to be arraigned April 28 in Suffolk Superior Court, authorities said. Harvey and his company will be arraigned at a later day.
Private employers are required to pay unemployment tax quarterly to the state. The taxes go toward providing temporary assistance to unemployed workers in Massachusetts.
The attorney general office’s Insurance and Unemployment Fraud Division said it recovered more than $1.4 million in restitution last year.
“Through enforcement, we aim to level the playing field for those businesses that already follow the law and ensure that benefits are available for eligible workers,” Attorney General Martha Coakley said in a statement.