RadioBDC Logo
Beggin For Thread | BANKS Listen Live
 
 
< Back to front page Text size +

Blizzard, generators and carbon monoxide

Posted by Mitch Lipka  February 7, 2013 11:00 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

With the blizzard upon us and memories of power outages from other storms not too distant, many thousands of New England residents are readying their generators.

While it's a great advantage to have power - any power - when the rest of us are sitting in the dark, safety officials are urging those using portable generators to use caution. An improperly placed generator can produce enough carbon monoxide to kill a family in the home it is powering.

Robert Adler, a commissioner on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, wrote the following to educate those of us facing this storm in the hope of avoiding any more carbon monoxide deaths caused by generators:


As I read the weather reports about the immense snowstorm approaching Boston and New England, I have developed the sick feeling that one gets watching a movie or news story in which an inevitable tragedy will occur, and the viewer is unable to stop it. The tragedy that I envision is completely avoidable, yet still likely to occur.
I’m not thinking of the deaths from snow-covered trees falling on houses, or from cars sliding on ice-slicked roads. These may occur, but they involve some elements beyond human control. No, my worry is that well-intentioned, even careful, families throughout the region will crank up portable generators after losing power and will succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning without realizing the risks associated with these machines.
Hurricane Sandy provides the tragic model. Here’s a headline from a New Jersey newspaper carrying a story sadly repeated in New York, Delaware and Pennsylvania papers: “Sandy’s Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide Deaths Spring Up After Storm.” Five citizens died in New Jersey alone. And according to statistics compiled by staff at the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Sandy resulted in at least 17 fatalities from CO poisonings attributed to portable generators.
So, how do even careful consumers become victims of portable generators? Alas, they place their generators in their garages, partially-enclosed spaces, or directly next to their house that they think will provide sufficient ventilation to remove the carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, generators emit large amounts of carbon monoxide – much more than idling cars. Many consumers do not realize this and do not understand that simply opening windows or leaving garage doors open will not necessarily protect them.
Unfortunately, carbon monoxide cannot be seen, tasted, or smelled. And gauging the amount of CO by the amount of exhaust fumes that one can smell is an unreliable guide. CO can kill within minutes.
So, here is my plea to those in the path of the approaching snowstorm that I’ve heard referred to as Nemo.
• Never use a generator indoors or in a garage or room next door. Place them outdoors, away from the house.
• Read the instructions and warnings carefully about where to place your generator.
• Place carbon monoxide detectors on all floors of your house.
• And be alert for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches and dizziness.
Any death caused by nature run amok is regrettable, and, unfortunately, a storm the size of Nemo seems likely to produce fatalities. But, deaths that are avoidable with proper cautions can only be described as pure tragedy. It is my deepest hope that Boston and beyond can avoid such a fate.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

 

About the author

Mitch Lipka is one of America's leading consumer journalists and advocates. He is an expert in product safety, recalls, scams, and helping consumers get out of jams. He is a nationally known consumer columnist and runs TheConsumerChronicle.com. He lives in Worcester. You can find him on Facebook or reach him at ConsumerNews@Aol.com

archives

Browse this blog

by category