Business

Target taking actions on security, executive says

This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to BostonGlobe.com

WASHINGTON — An executive of Target Corp. said Tuesday the retailer has taken actions to shore up security following the massive breach of millions of consumers’ data during the holiday season.

But senators examining the issue at a hearing said even the most robust security systems can be vulnerable to cyberattack, and only the adoption by banks and retailers of more advanced technology for payment cards and processing systems will reduce fraud.

The Senate Judiciary Committee testimony by John Mulligan, executive vice president and chief financial officer at the number two US discounter, also revealed that Target discovered an additional 25 cash registers infected by malicious software on Dec. 18. The company had said earlier that it had removed all the malware from its system by Dec. 15.

Full story for BostonGlobe.com subscribers.

Get the full story with unlimited access to BostonGlobe.com.

Just 99 cents for four weeks.

Share