Self-install Internet and cable TV service from Comcast Corp.
$9.95 at Comcast walk-in service centers.
When it comes to electronic gadgets, Iím an instinctive do-it-yourselfer. Iíll set up my own personal computers and cell phones, thank you very much. No surprise, then, that Iím annoyed at the thought of waiting around the house for a cable TV installer to hook up a new set-top box or Internet modem. Shouldnít there be a simple, plug-and-play proposition that anybody can handle?
Comcast feels exactly the same, so itís pushing do-it-yourself installation kits for its TV, telephone, and Internet services. Consumers save a lot of tedious wait time; Comcast saves the expense of rolling a truck to your house.
You just pop into the nearest Comcast service center, place an order for service, and pick up the necessary hardware. You can also have it delivered to your home for the same $9.95 service charge.
I tried the self-install kit for broadband Internet and cable TV service. I stumbled through the Internet setup, having failed to follow the instructions properly. But I soon got straightened out. Installing the TV set-top box was even simpler.
Comcast tells me that about 20 percent of their customers now choose to self-install. Whatís up with the other 80 percent? Unless you enjoy the occasional visit from the cable guy, self-install is the way to go.
The author is solely responsible for the content.