Every Friday, I'll serve up a list of five things worth knowing about.
This week, it's the best forecasters and futurists in the Boston area. Want to know what's next? Add these folks to your bookmarks or RSS feeds.
1. From Cambridge-based Forrester Research, a collection of blogs on everything from data security to interactive marketing to consumer products. My two favorites are Forrester CEO George Colony's blog, and Josh Bernoff's blog on social technologies.
2. The analysts at the Yankee Group in Boston have been predicting the future since 1970. These days they're focused on what they call the Anywhere Network and the Anywhere Consumer -- essentially, the implications of pervasive connectivity using all sorts of devices, from PCs to cell phones to set-top TV boxes.
3. KurzweilAI.net was started by inventor and entrepreneur Ray Kurzweil. It tracks somewhat unnerving topics like the convergence of biology and technology (need a chip in your brain to assist your recall?) -- but also covers areas like cleantech and astronomy.
4. GreenTech Media in Cambridge follows the evolving energy space, from thin-film solar panels to the smart grid of the future.
5. Joost Bonsen is one of the few people I know at MIT with a really broad view of what goes on there, across schools and research groups. His blog, Maximizing Progress, covers everything from floating cities to robotic space explorers to smart materials to developmental entrepreneurship. And it's chock full of video and images, too.
about the blogger
About Scott Kirsner Scott Kirsner was part of the team that launched Boston.com in 1995, and has been writing a column for the Globe since 2000. His work has also appeared in Wired, Fast Company, The New York Times, BusinessWeek, Newsweek, and Variety. Scott is also the author of the books "Fans, Friends & Followers" and "Inventing the Movies," was the editor of "The Convergence Guide: Life Sciences in New England," and was a contributor to "The Good City: Writers Explore 21st Century Boston." Scott also helps organize several local events on entrepreneurship, including the Nantucket Conference and Future Forward. Here's some background on how Scott decides what to cover, and how to pitch him a story idea.
Subscribe via e-mail
More from Scott
December 9: Web Innovators Group
Demos of new mobile apps and web ventures at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge. Free admission; cash bar.
December 10: Fintech Demo Day
Short demos from startups in the financial technology realm.
December 11: Unpitch
Entrepreneurs and investors sit down for lunch, advice, and feedback. Entrepreneurs must apply to participate.