I've been talking to female founders this week, preparing a column that will run on Sunday. Here are the five networking groups and resources that have been mentioned most often as helpful by the women I've interviewed.
Know of others? Please add them in the comments...
- Boston Women's Network. Regular monthly meetings with speakers, focused on helping members achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Center for Women & Enterprise. Helps women start and grow businesses, with courses on QuickBooks, obtaining bank financing, and selecting a legal entity for the business. Serves Boston, Providence, and Worcester.
- Commonwealth Institute. Career development and support for female CEOs and executives. Upcoming events include a session with Rosabeth Moss Kanter of Harvard Business School, and the annual "Top 100 Women-Led Businesses" reception.
- Golden Seeds Boston. A group of female "angel" investors who take pitches and consider funding new start-ups, and also encourage women to become angel investors themselves. "Angel Investing 101" course coming up on November 10th.
- Ladies Who Launch Boston. Creates groups of 10 women "who each help one another take their projects, businesses, or ideas to a new place." Also, regular networking events. Another chapter serves Worcester.
about the blogger
About Scott Kirsner Scott Kirsner was part of the team that launched Boston.com in 1995, and has been writing a column for the Globe since 2000. His work has also appeared in Wired, Fast Company, The New York Times, BusinessWeek, Newsweek, and Variety. Scott is also the author of the books "Fans, Friends & Followers" and "Inventing the Movies," was the editor of "The Convergence Guide: Life Sciences in New England," and was a contributor to "The Good City: Writers Explore 21st Century Boston." Scott also helps organize several local events on entrepreneurship, including the Nantucket Conference and Future Forward. Here's some background on how Scott decides what to cover, and how to pitch him a story idea.
Subscribe via e-mail
More from Scott
December 9: Web Innovators Group
Demos of new mobile apps and web ventures at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge. Free admission; cash bar.
December 10: Fintech Demo Day
Short demos from startups in the financial technology realm.
December 11: Unpitch
Entrepreneurs and investors sit down for lunch, advice, and feedback. Entrepreneurs must apply to participate.