Red Sox owner John Henry launches solo bid to buy the Boston Globe
Red Sox owner John Henry has decided to make a bid to buy the Boston Globe on his own, after his group dropped out of the process more than a week ago, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.
Henry previously submitted a bid for the Globe through New England Sports Network, which is 80 percent owned by his Fenway Sports Group. The other 20 percent is controlled by Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. But that group recently dropped out, people close to the highly secretive bidding process said.
Henry, now bidding as an individual, is one of several pursuing purchase of the Globe and the rest of the New England Media Group, which the New York Times Co. is selling. Others who have submitted offers include local investors and some from the west coast.
One local group is led by former Time Inc. chief executive Jack Griffin and Ben and Steve Taylor, whose family formerly owned the newspaper. Robert Loring of Revolution Capital in Los Angeles, which owns the Tampa Tribune, also is among the bidders. In addition, Douglas Manchester, owner of the U-T San Diego newspaper appears to be in the running.
Springfield television station owner John Gormally remains interested. And it is possible Boston businessmen Jack Connors, John Fish and Steve Weiner -- who previously had been negotiating with the Taylor group -- have now joined forces with another group trying to buy the newspaper and its related properties.
Potential buyers have been barred by the Times Co. and its investment bankers from publicly discussing their bids. The Times Co. declined to comment on when the winning bid might be selected.Beth Healy can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.