A Praise Chorus | Jimmy Eat World Listen Live

Surprise, there's a $4m Bugatti in the family

Posted by Clifford Atiyeh  January 2, 2009 01:05 PM

bugatti57s-609.jpg(Bonhams)

Now may be the time to start picking all the locked cabinets and doors in your grandmother's house.

After discovering this extremely rare 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante hiding in their late relative's barn in 2007, an English family is putting the car up for sale next month, according to the BBC.

This Atalante, an exotic in its heyday and more exclusive than any modern Veyron, is only one of 17 made, unrestored with just over 26,000 miles. Expected initial bids are no less than $4.35 million.

More details and photos of this stunning car can be found on Bugatti's website and on this amateur classic car website.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. I'll take two!

Posted by I'm Rich! January 2, 09 05:56 PM
  1. Jay Leno will be showing up with his checkbook any moment now...

Posted by Jay January 2, 09 07:06 PM
  1. How is it on gas? LOL

Posted by Steve from NC January 2, 09 07:22 PM
  1. Its worth even more if it has the factory CD changer in the trunk.

Posted by Dave January 2, 09 08:39 PM
  1. My Bugatti was used mostly as a commuter. The A/C sucked and the suspension was rather inadequate. I went to Boch and traded it in. Sure, they gave me $400 dollars for it, and that lowered my payments from $540.00 to $533.00 but, at least I have good A/C now. ;)

Posted by who carese January 2, 09 09:44 PM
  1. I think it should be restored by "Pimp My Ride."

Posted by Medford Mickey January 2, 09 09:59 PM
  1. medford mickey you have got to be high or crazy.

Posted by josh greene January 2, 09 10:22 PM
  1. rare or not, I wouldn't pay more than 8k for it

Posted by kinda ugly January 2, 09 10:54 PM
  1. Pimp my ride? Those hacks!

Only thing nice that comes out of there are some of the paint jobs! Who really needs 6 monitors, speakers UNDER the car and all that other junk they stick in the trunk....

Posted by Unimpressed January 2, 09 11:13 PM
  1. talk about winning a lottery

Posted by Dave January 2, 09 11:29 PM
  1. how many barn finds like this can there be left? amazing.

Posted by joeblow January 3, 09 12:41 AM
  1. Hey; I had one just like it,but I made a fabulous deal when I traded it even-up for a 1974 Chevy Vega because I needed back seat room for the kids kids & groceries.

Posted by Rhide Island Rocket Scientist January 3, 09 10:05 AM
  1. Does anybody know where this auction is going to take place ? I would like to add this to my bugatti collection. From a collectors point of view, I would pay 5 million for it. I have a strong feeling it will finish at close to 7 or 8 million, which in that case is a little crazy.

Posted by Charles Thorn January 3, 09 02:22 PM
  1. It's beautiful......
    When you buy it, I'd love to go for a spin.
    Be Well.

Posted by Jen Maitland January 5, 09 11:39 AM
  1. Update!! - I made a few phone calls and got this info:

It is to be auctioned on 7 February 2009 at the Retromobile motor show in Paris,France. Experts stated that there was the possibility of it becoming the world's most expensive car ever bought at auction, due to its extremely low mileage, original condition and ownership pedigree.

1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe was the most at 17.8 million

Sultan of Brunei also this week stated he had high ideas for this car, and had no problem spending 25 million on this car as is, and not touch it.

Posted by Charles Thorn January 5, 09 04:22 PM
  1. I've got a nice rollback tow truck....I'll tow it for the winning bidder fo $2.00 a mile!

Posted by Tim O'Sullivan January 5, 09 11:10 PM

About Boston Overdrive

Boston.com reports the latest trends, auto shows and wrings out the newest cars in our city's hellish maze — and across the great roads of New England.
Follow Boston.com Cars on Facebook

Video

Clifford Atiyeh is an automotive writer and car enthusiast . He has spent his entire life driving cars he doesn't own.
In the garage: 1995 21-speed Iron Horse, 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (by association)
Bill Griffith is a veteran Boston Globe reporter, having reviewed cars for more than 10 years and serving as assistant sports editor for 25 years. He was also the paper's sports media columnist.
In the garage: 2006 Subaru Baja
AAA's Car Doctor, John Paul John Paul is public affairs manager for AAA Southern New England, a certified mechanic, and a Globe columnist. He hosts a weekly radio show on WROL.
In the garage: Hyundai Sante Fe, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible
Craig Fitzgerald has been writing about cars, motorcycles, and the automotive industry since 1999. He is the former editor of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.
In the garage: 1968 Buick Riviera, 1996 Buick Roadmaster, 1974 Honda CB450
Keith Griffin is president of the New England Motor Press Association and edits the used car section on About.com. He also writes for the Hartford Business Journal and various weekly newspapers in Connecticut.
In the garage: Mazda 5, Dodge Neon
George Kennedy is a senior writer for WheelsTV in Acton, which produces video reviews for Yahoo, MSN, and other auto websites.
In the garage: Lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee