Would You Fight For My Love | Jack White Listen Live

Bentley Supersports, the Congress-friendly supercar

Posted by Clifford Atiyeh  February 25, 2009 11:11 AM

BentleySupersports.jpg

Bentley has undone the Photoshop shadows on the ethanol-powered Continental shown last month, and - ta-da! - there's the usual and beautiful wheel, interior, and rear fascia upgrades. We predicted 650 horsepower and a 205-mile-per-hour top speed for the marque's fastest production car (it's actually 621 horsepower and 204 miles per hour).

Some 243 pounds have been cut, which means the Continental GT only weighs 5,000 pounds (about the same as a Hummer H3T or Lexus LS600hL). In place of the rear seat is a crossbar for added rigidity, and the interior also gets a mash of bright red leather, black Alcantara trim, and deeply-bolstered bucket seats.

The Supersports is part of Bentley's plan to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 15 percent across its entire lineup by 2012, the magic year when General Motors is profitable and the nation's fuel economy is so improved that daisies grow out of tailpipes. And like every cradle-to-grave estimate on alternative fuel, Bentley's claim that the Supersports cuts C02 emissions by 70 percent over the regular Continental is about as accurate as Timothy Geithner's tax returns.

But if Bentley must cite environmental numbers to keep Congress from outlawing their cars, we'll publish them no matter what. Zero to 60 miles per hour in 3.7 seconds, however, is nothing but the whole truth.

BentleySupersports-rear34.jpg

BentleySupersports-inside.jpg

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. If I was super rich, didn't already have one, and cared about the economy, I'd look into it.

I'm a sucker for diamon stitching in sports cars.

Posted by Andy February 25, 09 01:19 PM
  1. Sexy! I would leave my DNA all over this car!

Posted by CarEnthused February 25, 09 01:33 PM
  1. I'm really glad Bentley is so worried about the environment, and so so thrilled that the US Government is pumping money into Tesla to develop a car that most people can't afford.
    What about normal cars for the everyday driver? Does anyone think that the US Automaker Bailout will result in development of better built US cars? I doubt it.
    In a few years, when Chrysler and GM are busted, auto buyers will be stuck with the same damn crappy US car, broken down, poor efficiency and a crappy loan they can't get out of. I wish Congress would open thier eyes a little more and go after what US people really need. Until then, I hope my Ford truck keeps running.

Posted by matt February 25, 09 02:47 PM
  1. Comparing a "GT" car with two doors to a rolling brick and a four door executive barge ... oink oink oink

The 911 Turbo gets pretty much the same job done with 1500 lbs less fat. I know which one will get through the curves more quickly.

Posted by J February 25, 09 04:25 PM
  1. This car is worthless. It's not "green" at all. There are so few of these produced that using E-85 has very little effect on the environment. Also, E-85 is 25% less efficient than gasoline, so you are not saving any money by using E-85 (if you can even find it). Sure, the type of person who can afford this car doesn't care, but it might be an issue for GM flex fuel car owners. With corn being diverted to E-85 production, it is driving up the price of corn for food. I'm sure it would be more cost effective to reduce the carbon emissions while using gas. Better yet, make a hybrid version. No emissions while the car is sitting because the engine isn't running.
    That said, screw the environment...if I had the money, I would buy this car. Also, comparing this to a 911 Turbo is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Porche is about sport. Bentley is about luxury. That's a key distinction since Porche owns VW which own Bentley.

Posted by Seamus February 25, 09 05:58 PM
  1. Send me one of these cars, free of charge. I will review it for a couple of years and get back with you. Thanks.

Posted by Frank Koski February 26, 09 05:56 AM
  1. Love it, If I had a few mil in the bank, or this year, under the mattress, i would get one. NIIIIICE, still love my aston martins though.

Posted by Matt February 26, 09 01:34 PM
  1. If I had this car, I would have daisies growing out of MY tailpipe!

Posted by M February 28, 09 07:17 PM
  1. With time the technology of these uber-machines will trickle down to the rest of us...unfortunately time is of the essence for US carmakers and I think The US needs to reclaim its leadership role as we did in the 60's with "the Race To The Moon"...we can do it...let's look at this Bentley as a call to 'arms' and get cracking at developing better (more efficient and more athletic) cars that more of us can drive

Posted by Robert March 2, 09 07:35 AM

About Boston Overdrive

Boston.com reports the latest trends, auto shows and wrings out the newest cars in our city's hellish maze — and across the great roads of New England.
Follow Boston.com Cars on Facebook

Video

Clifford Atiyeh is an automotive writer and car enthusiast . He has spent his entire life driving cars he doesn't own.
In the garage: 1995 21-speed Iron Horse, 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (by association)
Bill Griffith is a veteran Boston Globe reporter, having reviewed cars for more than 10 years and serving as assistant sports editor for 25 years. He was also the paper's sports media columnist.
In the garage: 2006 Subaru Baja
AAA's Car Doctor, John Paul John Paul is public affairs manager for AAA Southern New England, a certified mechanic, and a Globe columnist. He hosts a weekly radio show on WROL.
In the garage: Hyundai Sante Fe, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible
Craig Fitzgerald has been writing about cars, motorcycles, and the automotive industry since 1999. He is the former editor of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.
In the garage: 1968 Buick Riviera, 1996 Buick Roadmaster, 1974 Honda CB450
Keith Griffin is president of the New England Motor Press Association and edits the used car section on About.com. He also writes for the Hartford Business Journal and various weekly newspapers in Connecticut.
In the garage: Mazda 5, Dodge Neon
George Kennedy is a senior writer for WheelsTV in Acton, which produces video reviews for Yahoo, MSN, and other auto websites.
In the garage: Lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee