Technologic | Daft Punk Listen Live

Corvette concept armed for 'Transformers'

Posted by Clifford Atiyeh  February 11, 2009 02:50 PM

Transformers Corvette concept(GM)

This concept Corvette - just unwrapped at the Chicago Auto Show - will be a new character in the upcoming film "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Other Chevrolet "characters" include a purple Volt, two Beat subcompacts, and of course, the yellow "bumblebee" Camaro.

Sadly, the Corvette concept won't get on the Bowling Green line for production, though its silky surface, mixed with angled creases like on the Lamborghini Reventon, would translate well into future designs.

Chevrolet says the Transformer Vette is reminiscent of the 1959 Stingray roadster concept. If that doesn't ring a bell, remember the C4 with a marine V-12 engine? Or the mid-engine CERV III? Neither does anyone except Motor Trend, which reviewed the 1959 Stingray and other Corvette concepts that never went past the auto show floor.

For an overkill of photos, head over to Jalopnik.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. This is one concpet I hape gets toned down before production. Beside the obvious, the lineup of 4-exhaust tips, there is a lot not to like about this one. Though it's edgy appearance will work well into the Transformers movie. There will be fans, but I'm not one of them.

Chevy lost me when they went from the cool, sophisticated and exotic look of the C5 to a toy-ish looking C6 that can run and beat Europe's supercars but just doesn't comare in quality of materials. But when you buy a bargain basement Ferrari-fighter, there's not many who with complain. I'd rather go slower and get a much better expirience, in and out. All or nothing!

Posted by Andy February 11, 09 04:09 PM
  1. Are you kidding me? This is the coolest looking Vette since the classics. If the materials and build quality were there, this is a Chevy (other than my Chevy truck) that I would actually buy and be proud to own.

They should go into production with this show stopper ASAP.

Posted by JC February 11, 09 09:32 PM
  1. Purpose of Corvette: $150,000 worth of performance for a third of the price. The materials and build quality are getting MUCH better, as it is across the GM line, but still, sacrifices have to be made to maintain the performance aspect of the car. If you want luxury that screams, GM would be happy to sell you a CTS-V.

Posted by Dude February 12, 09 11:11 AM
  1. sideswipe

Posted by Anonymous February 12, 09 03:00 PM
  1. andy, are you serious? the C5 had nothing on the C6. the C6 is more refined and the headlights are finally integrated instead of pop-up. and with each passing year, chevy improves the interior ride. a relative of mine has a C6 removeable hardtop with navi and it's a joy to drive around in, and it looks 10x better than a C5.

Posted by FJ February 13, 09 08:13 AM
  1. The C6 Z06 and ZR1 are much better cars than the C5's. The build quality, performance and styling are light years ahead of the C5. Andy, you should take a test drive in a new C6 and I think you will change your mind.

Posted by BC February 13, 09 10:23 AM
  1. I know I'm in rare compnay with those who preffer the C5. But I do stand by my reasoning as the C5 looked more mysterious and stealthy while the C6 was a 'fun' representation of the Corvette image.

The exposed headlights are a benefit but I just don't see the point to covering them with a plastic cover. Why not rock'em out like an Integra. The body also went from a smooth and curvey car to a sharp angular abstract.

And I guess if you saw what I was seening you might agree. But I can admit, as a whole, the C6 is not bad. But it's not the one I grew up with either; we all have our favorites.

Posted by Andy February 13, 09 01:24 PM
  1. I saw it yesterday at the Chicago Auto Show and all I can say is COOL!!!! I am a traditionalist. I own a 67 Corvette coupe and love the C2 body style. Nonetheless, this car in person just blew me away.

Posted by Joe McMahon February 14, 09 08:59 AM
  1. I was doing a search 4 next transformers movie and seen this, bloody hell, forget astons and lambos, that corvette looks like its goin 150 mph backways,
    nice one. usa al the way

Posted by c liggett February 14, 09 08:38 PM
  1. I always thought a corvette was toyish and overrated. However, after seeing this one, I have to say they finally nailed the design. It really does have the look of Lambo, not to mention a robot as well.

Posted by Neo78 February 14, 09 10:14 PM
  1. I WANT ONE!!!! If they build it, I will order it....in advance!

Posted by relsauter February 15, 09 05:19 PM
  1. I'm surprised no one mentioned the headlights. I felt one of the most distinctive features of the corvette, the one that i can ALWAYS tell is a corvette, was the four headlights. I don't really like triangle headlights or the triangle mirrors, but i think it looks like a cool car, just not the right style in the back for a corvette. But just for the design, it looks pretty BA.

Posted by James February 15, 09 06:27 PM
  1. Chevy i would give you two thumbs up on this one but chevy this deserves two hands up, Touchdown, and field goal. "Yes its good"

Posted by Ervin Dantzler February 17, 09 06:08 PM
  1. andy honestly, i dont think you know what your talking about. i own 4 corvettes, and my C5 just doesnt compare to my C6 Z06. but my take on this one? ITS A FREAKING SPLIT WINDOW!!!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS CAR ALREADY?!! it looks amazing, and still retains some C6 body features.

Posted by Jareth May 8, 09 01:50 PM
  1. this car is so ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Posted by mr.wheelman May 14, 09 02:43 PM
  1. I have a C5 and I love corvettes. That is the coolest car I have ever seen. I would order one today.

Posted by Anonymous May 24, 09 04:23 PM
  1. that is my favorite car in the universe i mean who would let such a good car not go into production?

Posted by Sideswipe June 2, 09 02:28 PM
  1. there is a GOD........ jesus I finally fell in love for the first time in my life....... I would sell my lungs and kidneys for that car...... imagine driving that car, it would be better than sex, Im not kidding.

Posted by Jimmy Dionicio June 6, 09 10:56 PM
  1. Im already a huge fan of corvettes, but i have to say that this one simply blew me away! Its the slick look of the future and the classic look of the past all blended into one. I have no clue how GM managed to pull this one off, but Im glad they did. All GM has to do now is change their mind about production. I just dont understand how people could NOT like this work of art (ANDY), but were entitled to our opinions.

Posted by Calikid June 24, 09 05:15 PM
  1. A vette is a vette, there is no questioning the tradition and prestige of one. This new protoype rewrites the vette name and moves it way above the mustangs and vipers. I dont really know what there is to dislike about this machine, its is breathtaking to say the least. The lines are unique and fluid but there is no mistaking it screams corvette and demands attention.

Posted by Anonymous June 25, 09 12:58 AM
  1. Omigod! M-U-S-T have Chevy.

Posted by Dr. Johnny June 25, 09 02:05 PM
  1. I've been a German-car guy all my life... Audi makes the best cars in the world... My current dream car WAS an Audi R8, but after seeing this car in Transformers, I think the R8 might be getting demoted. If this makes it to production, I'll be first in line!!

Posted by Pdub June 25, 09 05:59 PM
  1. 2 quick things. 1. Andy, learn to spell. You're posting a comment on a fricking computer. It's called 'spell check' or 'dictionary.com'. 2. You obviously didn't do any research before posting your 'vast knowledge'. Dude said it best. $150k worth of performance in a fraction of the cost. If it looks sick and can hang with the big dogs, why pay more?

Posted by a big deal June 29, 09 09:01 AM
  1. if they build it I will buy it !!!!!!

Posted by jim June 29, 09 06:42 PM
  1. cant u just order one from gm specially made for urself or is it that they r just lazy and dont want to build one cause it would be awesome if GM can make special ones for special single orders..... I say we make a petition to put that car into production or maybe we just pitch the idea to GM of making the cars for single orders, it might cost a little more but it would be totally worth it!!!!!! dont u guys think so?????

Posted by Mark June 30, 09 10:06 PM
  1. Im gonna have to go completely against comment number one!
    You have to be Richard Lubbock to say GM has to tone down this particular model and the C6! I think the media and you wanting to be socially accepted has gotten to you! If this car had Lamborghini or Ferrari written on it i am pretty dam sure you wouldn't be complaining. I think the ideas that inspired this design and the C6 will take Chevy way up the top of the list where it belongs. Even though this car has been disguised with deep, jagged and enriched edges you can still see that behind this mask there's a heart that beats of an American Icon which nothing can ever come close to. Keep it up GM let the haters keep running thier mouth!

Posted by Fearless July 17, 09 09:21 PM

About Boston Overdrive

Boston.com reports the latest trends, auto shows and wrings out the newest cars in our city's hellish maze — and across the great roads of New England.
Follow Boston.com Cars on Facebook

Video

Clifford Atiyeh is an automotive writer and car enthusiast . He has spent his entire life driving cars he doesn't own.
In the garage: 1995 21-speed Iron Horse, 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (by association)
Bill Griffith is a veteran Boston Globe reporter, having reviewed cars for more than 10 years and serving as assistant sports editor for 25 years. He was also the paper's sports media columnist.
In the garage: 2006 Subaru Baja
AAA's Car Doctor, John Paul John Paul is public affairs manager for AAA Southern New England, a certified mechanic, and a Globe columnist. He hosts a weekly radio show on WROL.
In the garage: Hyundai Sante Fe, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible
Craig Fitzgerald has been writing about cars, motorcycles, and the automotive industry since 1999. He is the former editor of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.
In the garage: 1968 Buick Riviera, 1996 Buick Roadmaster, 1974 Honda CB450
Keith Griffin is president of the New England Motor Press Association and edits the used car section on About.com. He also writes for the Hartford Business Journal and various weekly newspapers in Connecticut.
In the garage: Mazda 5, Dodge Neon
George Kennedy is a senior writer for WheelsTV in Acton, which produces video reviews for Yahoo, MSN, and other auto websites.
In the garage: Lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee