Habits (Stay High) | Tove Lo Listen Live

Brookline's Italian car fest this Sunday

Posted by Bill Griffith  July 31, 2009 05:23 PM

The good people at Larz Anderson Auto Museum call it Tutto Italiano (Everything Italian). The event happens this Sunday (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) when the museum's lawn fills with the likes of Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Lamborghini, and De Tomaso.

In addition to the park and show, the museum will be selling raffle tickets for a chance to win a new Ducati 1198 motorcycle.

One vehicle that won't be there is Ferrari's latest model, the 458 Italiano, which was given a sneak preview this week and will be formally introduced at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September.

(Image from Larz Anderson Auto Museum.)

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. This was by far the most disappointing show this year in all the years I have gone! The organizers should be strait out shot! Parking was a DISASTER! No one had a clue what they were doing. Vendor management was piss poor at best. Yes, many of the cars are absolutely breathtaking, but nothing I have yet to see. If any of the event organizers should be reading this now, your head is actually probably better off buried in sand and you are probably better suited planning 5 year old birthday parties instead. Out right SHAMEFUL!!!!

Posted by Kevin August 2, 09 10:24 PM
  1. Wow. That's unfortunate. I showed my FIAT Spider there yesterday (been going, on and off, for 11 years) and didn't have that experience – though I was a little thrown when the show-car entrance ended up being where the exit used to be. (Turned out to be an advantage when it was time to leave the front lawn and there were still crowds on the hill.)

If you go often you're rarely going to see an Italian thoroughbred you've never seen before. What about that red Alfa supercar, the 8C Competizione, in the museum? Not many of those in my neighborhood (or in the US, for that matter).

Posted by Anonymous August 3, 09 10:44 AM
  1. I agree with Kevin! There were only three food stands that I could find, and all the servers were handling food - hamburgers, cheese, hot dogs, grilled chicken - with bare hands. There were almost no waste cans. The hot dogs were luke warm at best. Condiment spilled all over the tables. There were only a few rest rooms, and the lines were huge. Loud music was blaring all the time.

Yes the cars were gorgeous, but the organizers need to get their act together. I doubt they could plan a birthday party for a five year old.

Posted by Sweepie-pie August 3, 09 11:29 AM
  1. Agreed. The cars within the museum were quite amazing and certainly not something you see everyday. I definitely made sure to take some time to take a look inside and sure glad I did. But here is the key part .... those cars were independent of the event itself and can be viewed at the MOT any day this week!
    I also got to agree with Sweepie-pie on the food servers. The handling of food was out right scary. I think my favorite part of the show was leaving to have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory with my friend. And how about this for an observation ... you had three vendors at the event serving hamburgers and hot dogs. Let's see ... hamburgers and hot dogs at Tutto Italiano!!! Here is this for a thought for the organizers .... I hear there is quite a few excellent Italian Ristorantes in the North End (yes, the sarcasm is getting quite thick now). Is it a ridiculous idea for the event organizers to place a few calls to see if by chance they might like to take part?
    Also, the MOT website specifically said there would be $5 parking. Yet when you asked anyone working the event where to go you witnessed the most confused deer in the head lights looks followed by 3 seperate people pointing in complete different directions.
    I do think the car owners that registered for the event were great and I thank them for sharing their fine autos for the event. They did an excellent job in preparing their cars for the event and were quite gracious. I'm not afraid of saying when credit is due, but credit was not due for the event organizers. There were I believe 3 Lambourgini's this year and recall at least a dozen in the show of 2007. There were none of the big 3 for Ferrari with the Enzo, F-50 or F-40 like years past. This show had a much better showing in years past, but now its just getting old and tired like the show's promoters. Its time for them to step aside and retire and focus on little Billy's 5th birthday party if they can even get that right like Sweepie pie was so kindly to point out. Let's get this event back to the glory years!

Posted by Kevin August 3, 09 05:24 PM
  1. oh god forbid you wait in line or the food handlers use their bare hands! i guess that's expected when you go into snootville. grow a set, car shows don't make you manly.

Posted by clean hands August 3, 09 07:15 PM
  1. Whoever the food vendors were...now's the time for damage control...

Posted by Jonathan Hill August 3, 09 09:02 PM
  1. I got there early to show my exotic and had the "breakfast" it was cold and nasty. I returned it and got my $ back. A few hours later a got two hamburgers, They were like cardboard!! $8.00 each. I just threw them out. When you go to an event like this in europe the food is excellent. I mean realy, an Italian car show with no pastries?? Beer or wine??? Next year I bring my own!!!!!!!!

Posted by Logan August 4, 09 07:38 PM
  1. Wow!!! I didn't go to Tutto Italiano for the food; instead, I was there to see some of the most spectacular cars in the world, along with knowledgable owners and enthusiasts. My experience was great - many interesting conversations incredible cars to view - an overall delight to the senses. I arrived late morning and parked easily on the lower lawn.

There were spectacular and rare Italian cars, along with extremely interesting other displays, such as the rare 1980 BMW M1 featured in this month's Hemmings. I was lucky enough to meet the owner, his wife, and their adorable 4-year-old daughter. The highlight is that I was there when he started the car and headed home.

Don't forget that 1972 Alfa Romero Montreal (only a handful in this country). I didn't care that it was not entirely original or that it wasn't red. The owner was interesting, knowledgable, and enthusiastic.

Except that none of my 5 raffle tickets won that cool Ducati 1198, I went home happy and satisfied. For those who were upset about the food, bring a nice theme-oriented wine and cheese snack for yourself next time. Dianne

Posted by Dianne Isaacson August 6, 09 08:12 AM
  1. As an addendum to my earlier comments: The Larz Anderson Auto Museum is a wonderful resource for auto and moto enthusiasts. We, in the northeast, are lucky to have it so accessible. The management, employees, and the huge corp of volunteers work hard and thoughtfully to ensure we have the best possible experience. There's an amazing amount of generosity built in there.

The Alfa 8C, in the great hall, was an added bonus. Only 500 built; 80 destined for the USA; and, marketed by a mere 8 dealers (the closest to us being in Greenwich CT). That same Italian beauty, removing her top, while the world sighs - the 8C Spider (featured in last week's auto week), will thrill us with (again) only 500 being manufactured and only 30 destined for this country, will cause disappointment in some of the 2000 people who have already ordered one. $292,000 and $299,000, respectively, seems to be no obstacle for some. Dianne

Posted by Anonymous August 6, 09 08:45 AM

About Boston Overdrive

Boston.com reports the latest trends, auto shows and wrings out the newest cars in our city's hellish maze — and across the great roads of New England.
Follow Boston.com Cars on Facebook

Video

Clifford Atiyeh is an automotive writer and car enthusiast . He has spent his entire life driving cars he doesn't own.
In the garage: 1995 21-speed Iron Horse, 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (by association)
Bill Griffith is a veteran Boston Globe reporter, having reviewed cars for more than 10 years and serving as assistant sports editor for 25 years. He was also the paper's sports media columnist.
In the garage: 2006 Subaru Baja
AAA's Car Doctor, John Paul John Paul is public affairs manager for AAA Southern New England, a certified mechanic, and a Globe columnist. He hosts a weekly radio show on WROL.
In the garage: Hyundai Sante Fe, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible
Craig Fitzgerald has been writing about cars, motorcycles, and the automotive industry since 1999. He is the former editor of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.
In the garage: 1968 Buick Riviera, 1996 Buick Roadmaster, 1974 Honda CB450
Keith Griffin is president of the New England Motor Press Association and edits the used car section on About.com. He also writes for the Hartford Business Journal and various weekly newspapers in Connecticut.
In the garage: Mazda 5, Dodge Neon
George Kennedy is a senior writer for WheelsTV in Acton, which produces video reviews for Yahoo, MSN, and other auto websites.
In the garage: Lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee