New Slang | The Shins Listen Live

Jetta TDI Cup Edition for 2010

Posted by Clifford Atiyeh  July 15, 2009 05:11 PM

Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI-Cup-2010.jpg
(Volkswagen)

There's already plenty of Jetta special editions (Wolfsburg Edition, Loyal Edition, the old Trek — can anyone think of others?), but the 2010 model year will offer a welcome "track" model based off the TDI Cup racers. It's called, of course, the TDI Cup Edition.

Introduced as a concept at the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas, the production TDI Cup Edition features the "Thunderbunny" body kit originally designed for the Rabbit and currently on all TDI Cup racers: a wide-mouth front bumper with a more aggressive rear valence and bigger side skirts.

While the brakes and sway bars are upgraded to GLI status, the rest of the car is unchanged. What really would have made this Jetta special (and justifiably pricier) is the racer's modified diesel engine, tuned for 170 horsepower and Volkswagen's claimed "nearly" 300 foot-pounds of torque. But the regular engine is quite satisfying, save for that clunky DSG.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. Great another VW Jetta that will be riding our buns and swerving in and out of lanes on the Mass Pike.

Troopers take notice.

Posted by Archer July 16, 09 08:36 AM
  1. Archer, if you didn't cruise at 55 in the left lane you wouldn't have a problem.

Posted by Archer's an idiot July 16, 09 10:47 AM
  1. I miss my 89 GTi.

The repair shop misses my 2001 GLX. :( WORST CAR, EVER!!!

Posted by daviddancer July 16, 09 10:53 AM
  1. You forgot the Jetta K2 edition in the late 90's - came with a roof rack and K2 skis or snowboard!

Posted by Adam_J July 16, 09 11:16 AM
  1. What's the difference between a Golf and a Rabbit? Are they the same car?

Posted by who knows July 16, 09 11:36 AM
  1. Hey Archer....nice beige Camry...move over!

Posted by Pedmaster July 16, 09 01:31 PM
  1. Another hit perhaps, but no homerun. Lately, when it seems VW could launch a real European rocket, it backs off the throttle. Perhaps it's because Americans can't drive and for the most part, don't care (evidence all the SUVs).
    Personally, I love VW’s. My son drives a 5-speed manual, VR-6 Passat. I’ve got a GLI VR6 with a 6-speed manual. Except for the under-steer inherent in all front-wheel drive cars, it's the 2nd best car I've owned. (Somehow my wife got the best car in the family; an Audi A-3 Sport with a 3.2 and all-wheel-drive. Basically, it's a VW with a bored-out VR-6.)
    Anyway, economical turbo diesels are the future (they took the top three spots at
    Le Mans this year).
    Had VW dropped the modified engine into this car with a manual or tiptronic, I might consider it. Until then, I'll drive my 2003 GLI and wait for them to hit one out.

Posted by Rudderman July 16, 09 05:57 PM
  1. I have had my share of VWs including a 1986 GTI which I still own. However, I never felt the need to be patently aggressive and overtly rude on the highway as Archer noted above.

Yes, young male drivers are aggressive and dangerous as shown by the recent spate of accidents over the July 4 holiday. (Ski area statistics show this same group is a major cause of accidents on the slopes as well.) But VWs are not their only weapons, anything with four wheels, engine and transmission seems to suffice.

And I too have had my share of bumpers not more than 3 feet from my rear at Interstate speeds in any lane, never mind the left-most. The message is, of course, as Pedmaster notes, move over and get out of my way. You are slow. I am fast. I am young and important at 90 mph. You are old and doing 70. Insanity and testosterone do carnage make.

In any case, TDI Cup is interesting but I must say the front is better suited to track styling; it surely is not a graceful beast. But maybe best to buy now before the new Jettas are USA built and decontented to satisify American tastes. See http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2011-volkswagen-jetta.htm

Posted by TexLeeger July 16, 09 08:43 PM
  1. What's the difference between a Golf and a Rabbit? Are they the same car?
    Posted by who knows July 16, 09 11:36 AM'

They renamed the Golf the Rabbit. I think it is still called the Golf in Europe.

Posted by nah dude July 16, 09 09:29 PM
  1. What's the difference between a Golf and a Rabbit? Are they the same car?
    Posted by who knows July 16, 09 11:36 AM'

Posted by nah dude July 16, 09 09:29 PM
  1. Jettas are "daddy's girl" cars.

You only really do see girls driving these. Even the commercial has two sister bickering over one.

No thank you. There are plenty of cooler cars out there for the price.

As for Archer, who uses the word buns? LOL
    But I do agree with him. Jettas are for bad drivier. There are a few models out there that always seem to be in a rush and drive recklessly. Guess they don't care cause it's likely their parents bought the car for them.

The low end VW's are throwaway toys. Now if they could bring the new Scirocco over here they might brake their cutesy girlish figure. Right now it's the Rabbit, Bug, and Jetta.

I'd take a plane old Corolla before I looked at one of these. Special Edition or not.

Posted by Active-Omega July 17, 09 08:41 AM
  1. Worst car ever?

Try a 1988 Plymouth Reliant! It brings new profound meaning to the term "S**t Box"...

Posted by Michael July 17, 09 11:53 AM
  1. I drove the DSG. It is quite nice! However, there is nothing like rowing your own gears. 6 speed all the way!

Posted by aab July 17, 09 12:04 PM
  1. Did you hear that? I just heard what sounds like a loud, collective cheer coming from the direction of Philips Academy.

Posted by Michael July 17, 09 12:43 PM
  1. Archer, are you a woman? You drive like one!

Posted by Magnum July 17, 09 12:46 PM
  1. The Golf and Rabbit are the same car. It was always the Golf in Europe. The Rabbit was the USA model for Gen 1 through 1984. VW standardized on the Golf name in 1985, but recently went back to the US version being branded the Rabbit.

Posted by pete July 17, 09 03:37 PM
  1. Archer, you're just another lame Boston Brahmin.

Posted by greg July 17, 09 04:15 PM
  1. Why tell grand falsehoods? Jettas, while often considered stodgy in Germany (the reason they were called Boras for a few years - to juice up the brand) are certainly not driven only by girls. Why waste space with such foolishness?

Yes, the Golf name remains in Europe. They were recently re-badged as Rabbits here to evoke the iconic nameplate of the 1970s. However, critics point out that most current VW marketing prospects have never heard of those Rabbits of yore.

By the way, reports have it the new USA built Jettas (2011) will be decontented and geared more to USA driving tastes. This does not bode at all well for VW fans. Late 1970s Rabbits built in Pennsylvania went through the same downgrading the the bottom fell out. VW has seemingly lost its way of late - possibly due to the extremely bitter "war" with Porche over control of the corporation? (Latest photos of the 2010 Jetta show a simplified front end with heavy use of 1980s charcoal gray plastic on the entire large front bumper. Awful and ugly.) Buy those VWs now boys and girls.

Posted by TexLeeger July 19, 09 01:15 AM
  1. When will this be available ? Oct 09 ?

Posted by jettaboy July 19, 09 07:07 AM
  1. I'm from the south shore and have spent some time in europe. In europe if you stay in the left lane for anything other than a passing maneuver you will get pulled over and get a ticket. The police on european highways spend more time looking for discourteous and bad drivers than for speeders. Please people, get out of the left lane if you are not passing and stay off the mobile phones.

Posted by PDW1964 July 19, 09 03:57 PM
  1. Any comments on the 2007 Passat wagon? I have owned 4 Golfs, very happy with each, and now need more room for family.

Posted by Family Guy July 20, 09 08:35 AM
  1. VWs are weak. Weak motors. Weak suspensions. Weak. Weak. Weak.

I had a Jetta when I was a young pup that required the points be set every morning to get it to run.

Weak.

Posted by Anti VW July 20, 09 01:46 PM
  1. I wish I had my '94 Jetta. Fantastic car. Fun to drive. I would definitely get a TDI Jetta if I were in the market for a new car. Diesel price used to be .50cents over the price of regular, now it appears to .50cents under the price of regular. Hmm....Archer, get my car broker on the horn...

Posted by Archer's Boss July 20, 09 04:47 PM
  1. PDW1964 wrote "Please people, get out of the left lane if you are not passing and stay off the mobile phones."

So when did 90mph become slow? Its the MassPike not the Autobahn.

Some people don't even recognize lanes. BMW X5 black toward Springfield weaving from left lane to right in split second moves through traffic without turn signals.
    ^That Guy needs a Jetta.

I'm happy in my Mustang GT.
    Well, until some guy in an 1980's Oldsmobile 88 get on my tail going 100mpg. And yes I let him by. I'm not your usual Mustang owner.

Jetta's are OK but I want a Scirocco too. Old or new, those things are sweet!

Posted by GrabberOrange-1 July 21, 09 09:15 AM
  1. I drive an BMW M3 for those who assumed I owned a mundane Camry. I just freak out when people get too close for comfort and there is no opening the next lane to move over. I like to keep my cars dent free.

No matter which lane on the MassPike you are in at 5:00pm, people might not be able to go the speed limit or, *gasp* put on the brakes. And when things get going I'm no slug. But I shouldn't have to feel like I'm in the wrong when the guy behind me is accelerating up to speeds around 100mph. I usually, and cautiously travel around 85. And if the traffic slows, I do as well.

And I stick by my distain for the Jettas. I went to the showroom looking at the Phaeton and was weirded out that the 'showcars' for the entry level vehicles appeared cheap inside and out. I mean 1st gen Aveo-cheap.

Oh and Archer'sBoss; you couldn't afford me.

Posted by Archer July 21, 09 01:36 PM

About Boston Overdrive

Boston.com reports the latest trends, auto shows and wrings out the newest cars in our city's hellish maze — and across the great roads of New England.
Follow Boston.com Cars on Facebook

Video

Clifford Atiyeh is an automotive writer and car enthusiast . He has spent his entire life driving cars he doesn't own.
In the garage: 1995 21-speed Iron Horse, 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (by association)
Bill Griffith is a veteran Boston Globe reporter, having reviewed cars for more than 10 years and serving as assistant sports editor for 25 years. He was also the paper's sports media columnist.
In the garage: 2006 Subaru Baja
AAA's Car Doctor, John Paul John Paul is public affairs manager for AAA Southern New England, a certified mechanic, and a Globe columnist. He hosts a weekly radio show on WROL.
In the garage: Hyundai Sante Fe, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible
Craig Fitzgerald has been writing about cars, motorcycles, and the automotive industry since 1999. He is the former editor of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.
In the garage: 1968 Buick Riviera, 1996 Buick Roadmaster, 1974 Honda CB450
Keith Griffin is president of the New England Motor Press Association and edits the used car section on About.com. He also writes for the Hartford Business Journal and various weekly newspapers in Connecticut.
In the garage: Mazda 5, Dodge Neon
George Kennedy is a senior writer for WheelsTV in Acton, which produces video reviews for Yahoo, MSN, and other auto websites.
In the garage: Lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee