Budapest | George Ezra Listen Live

Volkswagen orders DSG recall

Posted by Clifford Atiyeh  August 20, 2009 12:15 PM

Volkswagen today said it was issuing a voluntary recall of 13,500 cars equipped with the company's dual-clutch automatic to inspect a possible faulty temperature sensor in the transmission. The affected models are the Jetta sedan and wagon, GTI, and Eos made between September 2008 through this month.

The company said that the sensor failure "could result in illuminated warning lamps in the dashboard, and in rare instances the transmission may shift into neutral."

The recall comes weeks after a July 17 investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into "loss of power" problems associated with the DSG transmission. The affected cars involved 2008 and 2009 Eos, GTI, Jetta, and R32 models.

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. WORST cars!

Posted by daviddancer August 20, 09 02:58 PM
  1. BEST cars!

Posted by luvVW August 20, 09 03:53 PM
  1. VW are so bad I would not take one even it were free.

Had a new 2001 Cabrio that had SO MANY problems that VW reimbursed me for my car payments for the the time it was at the dealership for aledged repairs, ($1000+), all the while giving me a low cost Enterprise rent a wreck.

never again!!!

Posted by tom dennen August 20, 09 04:47 PM
  1. Our 2006 DSG Jetta GLI has been near flawless (driver mirror heat element was replaced) and is still running great at an admitted young 55k+ miles.

Posted by julie August 20, 09 05:33 PM
  1. My 08 Wolfsburg Jetta is TERRIBLE! It was the first brand new car I ever bought at age 21. I HATE IT! I am so discouraged by this car and Volkswagen doesn't give a crap. They offered to make ONE monthly payment. It gets stuck in neutral and even shut off while I was driving one day. PIECE OF GARBAGE! DO NOT EVER BUY ONE!

Posted by SG August 20, 09 07:24 PM
  1. I drive a 09 Tiguan and my wife a 08 R32. We do not have any issues as of yet. Before we had a New Beetle, Golf TDI and earlier Polo's. Since we have a driver's license we are really happy with Volkswagen. I had in between a Mazda and a Nissan don't want to say i had issues with them but the quality of Volkswagen is much better .. German Engineering ! But i will check with VW the next week if our R32 is healthy :-) just to make sure. Compare the VW with Jeep , Chrysler or GM .. all are pieces of SH*** (build and make)

Posted by Marc & Saskia August 21, 09 07:40 AM
  1. I had my VW Jetta in the shop twice for this problem and the service manager looked at me like he never heard of this happening. I plan on sending him this article and tell him what I think about him and VW's claim to care about customer safety!

Posted by JIM August 21, 09 08:13 AM
  1. Absolutely LOVE my '07 GTI. Wonderful car, no problems whatsoever.

Posted by TJ August 21, 09 09:48 AM
  1. I love the comments about how VW's are crap. I'm sure if this were a post about a Honda, Toyota, KIA etc. re-call you would get the same comments about how the car in question is crap. Fact is any manufacture is bound to have problems even if they are minor. Google vehicle re-calls and one might be surprised about how many re-calls are out there.

A quick Google search brings up:
    Recalls Include BMW MotorcyclesRecalls Include VW Touareg, BMWs and Hondas
    Ford Expeditions and Saturn Vues Safety Investigations Stepped Up on Several Models Recalls Involve Kias, Volvos, Ducatis and Harleys...

Posted by RpH August 21, 09 12:10 PM
  1. This problem has been known about for a while. I purschased a '09 TDI Sportwagen in May of this year. In June I received a JD Power survey which had several questions about the reliabllity and function of the transmission. At the time I thought that was a little odd asking so many questions regarding the tansmission. Now I know why.

Posted by SS August 21, 09 01:59 PM
  1. I ve been a VW man ever I since I sold my high school hot rod in 1983. I can thrash them and they seem to like it. Maybe it s cuz my blood is German, but they feel better than Japanese/Asian cars, they hold value better than American cars and in my opinion
    German cars are simply the best. I d be driving an Audi if I could afford one. Maybe Audi will read this and give me one for free !

Posted by Andreas Haynes August 21, 09 04:24 PM
  1. you are all ignorant idiots. all cars suck. every car line has lemons. wah wah wah you got a bad one deal with it .... to your shitty experience 1000 others had an awesome one. VW is expanding their market every year. Notice they are still showing profits despite the horrible economy. Go keep crying while the rest of us enjoy our Volkswagen's.

Posted by Mark August 25, 09 05:12 AM
  1. THANK YOU MARK!!! i AGREE WITH YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL car lines HAVE LEMONS. AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL car lines go through glitches. Deal with it people and move on! It's not like they're not whiling to fix your car. GEEZ!
    Allow me to quote Drama Mama JIM "I plan on sending him this article and tell him what I think about him and VW's claim to care about customer safety!" It's not the Joe Shmoe's fault your car isn't working...
    Dude... Really? Let's leave the drama to the soaps...

Posted by Rosa August 26, 09 07:56 AM
  1. Hahaha!!!! gotta LOVE ROSA!! I drive a vw Jetta. I experience problems here and there but it's not like I didn't have any other option before buying it. Deal with it people

Posted by Kalu August 27, 09 04:31 PM
  1. I'll tell you something! I have a well maintained and loved 03 VW GTI 1.8T that has never given me any major issues and continues to perform like a champion despite the endless tourture I have put it through since day one. For an almost seven year old car with 90K miles it is still tighter and smoother than most rides less then half its age. If you drive a VDUB you know what I refer to. If you don't, then stop slandering one of the most consistently successful car manufacturers in history.

Posted by Paolo August 31, 09 06:34 PM
  1. Well, I have 2006 VW Jetta TDI. No problems at all with it. It is equipped with the Dsg tranny. No problem. I love it. The world is full of DRAMA. There is always going to be people who hate something. And others who totally love that same thing. In this case realize this fact people. Volkswagen is the LARGEST auto manufacturer in Europe. And if you don't think that in this huge numbers of world wide automaking there are not going to be faults from here and there then you are totally ignorant. Even the best manmade things tend to fail. Deal with it. Save the DRAMA for you MAMMA, I work for a VW dealer.

Posted by Ricky V. September 2, 09 07:03 PM
  1. I have a 2002 VW GTI 1.8T Manual and a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line.

What I like about them is that they both feel solid, are well engineered, and look better than most tin can Asian/American cars out there.

Anyway. I've had no problems with the GTI, asides from various interior plastics falling apart, but we are kind of hard on it with 2 kids and car seats and what not. These defects are mainly cosmetic...big deal.

BUT now here comes my Audi... purchased in late 2005 and within less than 4 years and at 50k miles, the transmission has failed twice. Now that I'm a little over 50k miles, I have to spend $6k on repair.

Trust me, I really want to say I love these brand of cars--but I'm afraid after I get the b7 fixed, I'll be trading it in for a non-VW/Audi vehicle. I can't risk getting another one when there are rampant problems with DSG transmission and faulty gearboxes. Just imagine the engine losing powr and not accelerating all of a sudden on a freeway--it happened to me, with kids in the car.

Posted by dee September 25, 09 04:55 AM

About Boston Overdrive

Boston.com reports the latest trends, auto shows and wrings out the newest cars in our city's hellish maze — and across the great roads of New England.
Follow Boston.com Cars on Facebook

Video

Clifford Atiyeh is an automotive writer and car enthusiast . He has spent his entire life driving cars he doesn't own.
In the garage: 1995 21-speed Iron Horse, 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (by association)
Bill Griffith is a veteran Boston Globe reporter, having reviewed cars for more than 10 years and serving as assistant sports editor for 25 years. He was also the paper's sports media columnist.
In the garage: 2006 Subaru Baja
AAA's Car Doctor, John Paul John Paul is public affairs manager for AAA Southern New England, a certified mechanic, and a Globe columnist. He hosts a weekly radio show on WROL.
In the garage: Hyundai Sante Fe, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible
Craig Fitzgerald has been writing about cars, motorcycles, and the automotive industry since 1999. He is the former editor of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.
In the garage: 1968 Buick Riviera, 1996 Buick Roadmaster, 1974 Honda CB450
Keith Griffin is president of the New England Motor Press Association and edits the used car section on About.com. He also writes for the Hartford Business Journal and various weekly newspapers in Connecticut.
In the garage: Mazda 5, Dodge Neon
George Kennedy is a senior writer for WheelsTV in Acton, which produces video reviews for Yahoo, MSN, and other auto websites.
In the garage: Lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee