< Back to front page Text size – +
Posted by Garrett Quinn, Less is More November 15, 2010 09:33 PM
As the Four Loko story continues to grow in Boston I decided to purchase and consume some tonight. I considered live blogging it but deep sixed that idea. Here's what I took away from the experience...
- The cans remind me of the old Arizona Iced Tea cans that were multicolored. They're too big to remind of your typical energy drinks Red Bull, etc. The "Four" is very imposing on the can and screams out at you.
- When you crack the can open the smell hits you immediately: A melted Jolly Rancher and cough syrup
- I poured some into a pint glass for observation and concluded that it has the appearance of watered down fruit punch.
- After the first few sips of the stuff it starts to hit you almost immediately but you get a more subdued feeling because of the caffeine. The taste does not make drinking a fun experience. It tastes pretty bad.
- I got a headache at one point while drinking it but man does it knock you off your socks pretty quick.
- Since I did not chug the drink it hit me in stages but it does pack quite a powerful kick. At one point my stomach felt horrible and at another as I noted I had an awful headache.
- I completely understand how throwing one of these back real fast can really mess you up.
- There is a sweet Gatorade like aftertaste. It doesn't taste like alcohol at all throughout the entire consumption.
- If you're not a responsible drinker you can get drunk really fast off just one can.
- I am not dead.
The author is solely responsible for the content.