How Much Do Americans Read?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

How Much Do Americans Read?

According to The Literacy Company:

- 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
    - 50 percent of American adults are unable to read an eighth grade level book.
    - 1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
    - 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
    - 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

Sad, isn't it....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrightLights. Show BrightLights's posts

Re: How Much Do Americans Read?

That's so sad!  I read all the time, everything from The NY Times to The Enquirer (yes, I admit it, I love their crosswords) and from You Are What You Think and anything by Dr. Oz to Nora Roberts and lots of magazines from Newsweek to the supermarket Women's magazines..  My daughter, a teacher, reads constantly and can speak on almost any topic. 
    What is the rest of this story?  Why don't students read after school days?  Is it the Hi-Tech gadgets or computer games which are capturing their time instead?

BrightLights

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pepirose. Show pepirose's posts

Our family seems to make up the entire reading population.  Between my husband, daughters, one son-in-law, and grandchildren we read approximately 15 books a week, if not more.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Where do those numbers come from?

If any of that is even remotely accurate, we as a society are doomed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Note the source above and a grain of salt - this company sells speed-reading software.

But the larger point is still valid, even accounting for a generous margin-of-error.  I would still be interested to know how much people read online and in periodicals, but those are not genuine measures of literacy, IMO.  There's simply no substitute for following an extended, well-considered narrative over the length of an entire book.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DPedroiski. Show DPedroiski's posts

In Response to How Much Do Americans Read?:
    According to The Literacy Company: - 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. - 50 percent of American adults are unable to read an eighth grade level book. - 1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. - 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college. - 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years. ****************** Sad, isn't it....
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Yes, it is called the Dumbing of America, and it's true.  That's why I am making a conscious effort to read more.  I personally like classic literature, short stories, and scientific journals. Thanks for your insight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ellenm123. Show ellenm123's posts

According to The Literacy Company: - 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. - 50 percent of American adults are unable to read an eighth grade level book. - 1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. - 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college. - 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years. ****************** Sad, isn't it....
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Who is "The Litercy Company" and how did they arrive at those stats? I read a lot and I know many people read little however I am sceptical that only 20% of "U.S. familes read a book last year" and 33% of high school grads never read another book. I would like to see how the Literacy Company arrived at these percentages.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miumiuhandbag. Show miumiuhandbag's posts

miumiu handbag

Miu Miu Paris Fashion Week and close the all autumn winter 2010 2011 fashion shows, does not seem true that ended to tell you the truth! Miu Miu As always gives us a really nice parade, as always, the Miu Miu woman, feminine and ultra chic, even in winter, flowers can not fail, applied on clothes, coats, bags and shoes. Miuccia Prada leads a parade on the catwalk-inspired interesting nineteenth-century Neo-Romanticism that has a good recovery is on the catwalk in life.

The parade is Miu Miu declined mostly in dark colors which are, however, interspersed by the occasional fluorescent orange and lavender, offered both in suits, coats, bags and even make-up is really well kept and very obvious integrand becomes part of the collection.

[url=http://www.Miu-miu-handbag.com/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=fanyangui&utm_campaign=fanyanguiforum]Miu Miu Handbags[/url] fall winter 2010 2011 collection are very nice, we have simple models in tumbled leather and patent leather, handbags monochrome black, orange and lavender multivitamin.

The decor is glam flower petals made of metal and illuminated by soft, rounded crystals that are present on the bags but as garlands to decorate clothing, coats and shoes.

A young and fresh collection that will surely be appreciated by young and not only!

Miu Miu is a trademark of Italian fashion's amazing, cutting edge and trendy knows how to make us women happy. Today I present you one of my favorite handbags spring summer 2010 Miu Miu is one of the great clutch Cruise made during 2010 that are becoming must-have for all purposes. The Crystal pouch is a really nice bag made of leather with a beautiful ivory handle with jewel precious stones.

The pouch is part of Crystal Spring Summer 2010 collection and is made of soft calf leather ivory color, has closed on the front, in the flap, in which are embedded gemstones always tan, say a glamorous tone caramel.

The Miu Miu bag is pretty and elegant, with the metal handle on which are embedded with precious stones and beautiful light. The hardware is metal argendo color that matches very well with both the ivory skin with the color of the stones.

The [url=http://www.Miu-miu-handbag.com/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=fanyangui&utm_campaign=fanyanguiforum]Miu Miu Handbags[/url] has a chocolate brown lining and an internal pocket with zip, measurements are 27 x 13 x 4 cm and the handle measures 22 inches. The price is 610.00 euros.

Exotic luxury handbags are the ultimate choice to complete a perfect and exquisite style for any beautiful and elegant lady. Show your most refined taste and irresistible glamour by wearing a piece of croc kelly,ostrich kelly bags or hermes ostrich bag.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from doke. Show doke's posts

Disbelieving the above statistics, I decided to do a quick search of my own and found this at http://www.nea.gov/news/news07/trnr.html

...it's better, but still not pretty.

Americans are reading less - teens and young adults read less often and for shorter amounts of time compared with other age groups and with Americans of previous years.

• Less than one-third of 13-year-olds are daily readers, a 14 percent decline from 20 years earlier. Among 17-year-olds, the percentage of non-readers doubled over a 20-year period, from nine percent in 1984 to 19 percent in 2004.1
    • On average, Americans ages 15 to 24 spend almost two hours a day watching TV, and only seven minutes of their daily leisure time on reading.2

Americans are reading less well – reading scores continue to worsen, especially among teenagers and young males. By contrast, the average reading score of 9-year-olds has improved.

• Reading scores for 12th-grade readers fell significantly from 1992 to 2005, with the sharpest declines among lower-level readers.3
    • 2005 reading scores for male 12th-graders are 13 points lower than for female 12th-graders, and that gender gap has widened since 1992.4
    • Reading scores for American adults of almost all education levels have deteriorated, notably among the best-educated groups. From 1992 to 2003, the percentage of adults with graduate school experience who were rated proficient in prose reading dropped by 10 points, a 20 percent rate of decline.5

The declines in reading have civic, social, and economic implications – Advanced readers accrue personal, professional, and social advantages. Deficient readers run higher risks of failure in all three areas.

• Nearly two-thirds of employers ranked reading comprehension "very important" for high school graduates. Yet 38 percent consider most high school graduates deficient in this basic skill.6
    • American 15-year-olds ranked fifteenth in average reading scores for 31 industrialized nations, behind Poland, Korea, France, and Canada, among others.7
    • Literary readers are more likely than non-readers to engage in positive civic and individual activities – such as volunteering, attending sports or cultural events, and exercising.8
    Sources:
    1. U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
    2. U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, American Time Use Survey (2006)
    3. U.S. Department of Education, NCES, The Nation's Report Card: Reading 2005
    4. U.S. Department of Education, NCES, The Nation's Report Card: Reading 2005
    5. U.S Department of Education, NCES, National Assessment of Adult Literacy (2007)
    6. The Conference Board, Are They Really Ready to Work? (2006)
    7. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Learning for Tomorrow’s World: First Results from PISA 2003
    8. National Endowment for the Arts, The Arts and Civic Engagement: Involved in Arts, Involved in Life (2006)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]According to The Literacy Company: - 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. - 50 percent of American adults are unable to read an eighth grade level book. - 1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. - 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college. - 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years. ****************** Sad, isn't it....
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's awful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moncler2010. Show moncler2010's posts

look at your post and i do really confuse :How Much Do chinese Read?

-----------------------------
    there are some information you can take a glance:
    there are some information you can take a glance:
    <a href="http://www.gucci-online-shop.org" />gucci online shop</a><br />
    <a href="http://www.moncler2010.com" />moncler jackets</a><br />
    <a href="http://www.manoloblahnikschuhe.org" />manolo blahnik schuhe</a><br />

Sections
Shortcuts