1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebor33. Show trebor33's posts

Re: Send us your suggestions

"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak

This is truly one of the most moving novels I have ever read. Full of characters which continually surprise you with their heart, decency, and small kindneses. The writing is so beautiful it would often literally stop me in my tracks, individual phrases so striking I would have to put the book down for a minute to take them in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastGull. Show EastCoastGull's posts

I just finished Run, by Ann Patchett. It's set in Boston and well written - with a great family/plot twist.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastGull. Show EastCoastGull's posts

In Response to Re: Send us your suggestions:
    "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. It's a classic and the most important book of American history ever, written by a local author.
    Posted by roweswharf

Great suggestion. People's History of the United States should be required reading.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmfrye. Show kmfrye's posts

"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace.  Most of the narrative is set in the Boston area and the author began writing it while living in Boston.  Exploring themes of art, addiction, and tennis--this heavily end-noted tome is not for everyone.  But if you look it up on amazon.com...and it seems like it could work for you...please pick it up and give it a try. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liners. Show Liners's posts

TigerB had the right author: Ayn Rand.  But I think the better book is "The Fountainhead". As I too tired at the moment to wax eloquent, the following is clipped straight from Wikipedia. But kudos to TigerB. Either book would be fine with me.

The Fountainhead's protagonist, Howard Roark, is an individualistic young architect who chooses to struggle in obscurity rather than compromise his artistic and personal vision. The book follows his battle to practice what the public sees as modern architecture, which he believes to be superior, despite an establishment centered on tradition-worship. How others in the novel relate to Roark demonstrates Rand's various archetypes of human character, all of which are variants between Roark, the author's ideal man of independent-mindedness and integrity, and what she described as the "second-handers." The complex relationships between Roark and the various kinds of individuals who assist or hinder his progress, or both, allow the novel to be at once a romantic drama and a philosophical work. By Rand's own admission, Roark is the embodiment of the human spirit and his struggle represents the triumph of individualism over collectivism.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmmsmc. Show cmmsmc's posts

In Response to Send us your suggestions:
    What book would you want to read for a city-wide book club?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff

Any Given Day by Dennis Lehane, Bad Economy, Terrorists, Union issues,Social Class issues, Race relations, family issues, Immigration, Baseball
    It Illustrates that we are not the only generation dealing with these issues and that right now things are not as bad as they had been in the past

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

It's interesting that the clear majority of the posts so far recommend fiction, when book sales data show that non-fiction is more popular in the US.

The best book I've ever read on human society and psychology is "Our Inner Ape" by Frans De Waal. This famous primatologist describes 3 closely related species of apes: chimpanzees, bonobos, and humans.

Also, "The Underground Economist", an excellent introduction into a subject that most Americans, esp. politicians, know little about. Well written and balanced. It takes an objective approach that avoids the dogmatism of both left and right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elizabethtrose. Show elizabethtrose's posts

Check out A New Odyssey by Frank Hughes Jr.  I love this book.  A real coming of age story in the same vein as A Separate Peace and The Catcher in the Rye.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbeAnderson. Show BobbeAnderson's posts

[QUOTE]It's interesting that the clear majority of the posts so far recommend fiction, when book sales data show that non-fiction is more popular in the US. 

I'm very surprised at that statistic.  Curious, where did you find your information?

My suggestion would be either of Greg Mortenson's Books, Stones into Schools, or 3 Cups of Tea, or Marion Nestle's "What to Eat"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fra3pro9. Show fra3pro9's posts

Posted by BDCAEStaff

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fra3pro9. Show fra3pro9's posts

LEXINGTON AND CONCORD: THE BEGINNING OF THE WAR OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION written by Arthur B. Tourtellot in 1959 under the title "William Diamond's Drum" takes us back in time,and while reminding us that we still freely walk on the ground of Revere, Hancock, Adams and Prescott we can be both educated and entertained by Tourtellot's remarkable book. Learn that when Paul Revere arrived at Lexington Common it was 4:30 in the morning and the handful of militiamen had no idea who he was. Learn that a 12-rear-old girl watched everything that morning in awe from a second story home. She returned 66 years later in 1841 to peer again from the same window to see, in her mind's eye the Regulars marching off the green toward Concord and the war with Great Britain begin. Open a book and travel in time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jcon. Show Jcon's posts

Run by Ann Patchett

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane

Boston Noir - a collection of short stories about B-Town edited by Lehane

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from furvest. Show furvest's posts

The Ranks of Jody Brae by Jonathan Cullen

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezrobian. Show mezrobian's posts

Posted by BDCAEStaff

I went to a book reading on Long Island with my aunt on Monday for "Graciela, No One's Child" by Grace Banta. The event was really interesting and the book itself is a page turner, I started reading it on Monday night and finished this morning. Its very uplifting without being too flowery.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marysue13. Show Marysue13's posts

New book out this week     Somwomana     by Victoria Lane (local author) on Amazon.com  Category Fiction humous  Very funny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjcsd. Show jjcsd's posts

I think you should try The Kindness of Strangers by J. A. Titus.  It's available online at amazon.com either via Kindle (for .99) or by paperback (though that's more pricey).  It even takes place in Massachusetts and the author is from Massachusetts.

Product Description

What happens when a child's innocence and trust gets taken away by someone they love? How do they function? How do they cope? Would they ever learn to love or trust anyone again? After several years of abuse, sixteen-year-old Sydney Venery finally escapes. With no one else offering to help, she accepts the assistance from a kind stranger.It is this stranger that ultimately helps Sydney realize there really are good people in the world. She slowly begins the healing process and moves forward with her life, accepting that what has happened to her isn't her fault. Learning to love and trust again isn't easy, but it is with The Kindness of Strangers that she gets by

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miumiuhandbag. Show miumiuhandbag's posts

miumiu handbag

Miu Miu Paris Fashion Week and close the all autumn winter 2010 2011 fashion shows, does not seem true that ended to tell you the truth! Miu Miu As always gives us a really nice parade, as always, the Miu Miu woman, feminine and ultra chic, even in winter, flowers can not fail, applied on clothes, coats, bags and shoes. Miuccia Prada leads a parade on the catwalk-inspired interesting nineteenth-century Neo-Romanticism that has a good recovery is on the catwalk in life.

The parade is Miu Miu declined mostly in dark colors which are, however, interspersed by the occasional fluorescent orange and lavender, offered both in suits, coats, bags and even make-up is really well kept and very obvious integrand becomes part of the collection.

http://www.Miu-miu-handbag.com/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=fanyangui&utm_campaign=fanyanguiforum Miu Miu Handbags fall winter 2010 2011 collection are very nice, we have simple models in tumbled leather and patent leather, handbags monochrome black, orange and lavender multivitamin.

The decor is glam flower petals made of metal and illuminated by soft, rounded crystals that are present on the bags but as garlands to decorate clothing, coats and shoes.

A young and fresh collection that will surely be appreciated by young and not only!

Miu Miu is a trademark of Italian fashion's amazing, cutting edge and trendy knows how to make us women happy. Today I present you one of my favorite handbags spring summer 2010 Miu Miu is one of the great clutch Cruise made during 2010 that are becoming must-have for all purposes. The Crystal pouch is a really nice bag made of leather with a beautiful ivory handle with jewel precious stones.

The pouch is part of Crystal Spring Summer 2010 collection and is made of soft calf leather ivory color, has closed on the front, in the flap, in which are embedded gemstones always tan, say a glamorous tone caramel.

The Miu Miu bag is pretty and elegant, with the metal handle on which are embedded with precious stones and beautiful light. The hardware is metal argendo color that matches very well with both the ivory skin with the color of the stones.

The http://www.Miu-miu-handbag.com/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=fanyangui&utm_campaign=fanyanguiforum Miu Miu Handbags has a chocolate brown lining and an internal pocket with zip, measurements are 27 x 13 x 4 cm and the handle measures 22 inches. The price is 610.00 euros.

Exotic luxury handbags are the ultimate choice to complete a perfect and exquisite style for any beautiful and elegant lady. Show your most refined taste and irresistible glamour by wearing a piece of croc kelly,ostrich kelly bags or hermes ostrich bag.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moncler2010. Show moncler2010's posts

A City So Grand

http://www.gucci-online-shop.org