1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thygraveerror. Show Thygraveerror's posts

Re: The 100 essential New England books

Well, the funniest book I've read in a long time by a local author was Don't Mind Me, a Tennessean Lost in Connecticut, by Terry Hargrove. He wrote a column for the shoreline papers here in Connecticut. What a funny guy! He now posts on Scholars and Rogues. (Now, how can I post this anonymously? Hmmm)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whydoihaftareregister. Show whydoihaftareregister's posts

The Orchard by Adele Crockett Robertson and Fig Pudding by Ralph Fletcher are excellent books.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartiepants. Show tartiepants's posts

As an elementary school teacher I was happy to see Eric Carle, Mike Mulligan and of course Make Way for Ducklings, but you certainly missed And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry St. 

Also, no Stephen King??? Really?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamDeC. Show TeamDeC's posts

What you missed: New England books are sold at New England bookstores which pay New England taxes and keep New England people employed. Sending shoppers to amazon.com alone is shortsighted (unless of course Amazon is buying the NYT share in your paper).

How about indiebound.org. Would be pretty simple for you to set them up as an affliate (http://www.indiebound.org/affiliate) and you'd be supporting the businesses who already support you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatvoodoo. Show fatvoodoo's posts

A must read is "A Tiger's Heart" which is written by a local (Boston) author, Aisling Shen.  A brutally honest description of her life growing up dirt poor and overcoming the odds against her.  She lays bare her most intimate thoughts in a way few authors are able to do.  An amazing story, wonderfully written.   http://www.amazon.com/Tigers-Heart-Story-Modern-Chinese/dp/1569475865/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243523962&sr=1-1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kedelin. Show kedelin's posts

How about "Broken Justice. A True Story of Race, Sex and Revenge in a Boston Courtroom" It captures a national cautionary tale in a local setting written by a local author. Reproductive rights, civil rights and privacy rights.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joekleine. Show joekleine's posts

Why is "The Scarlet Letter," one of the perhaps five canonical New England novels, at #19? Is "All Souls" really a better book than Hawthorne's? "The Scarlet Letter" is a top-three book, and perhaps the most authentically New English on the list. The grading criteria is baffling. By New Englanders or about New England: ok. "The top," I assume, means "most meritorious" and "most influential." So "Self-Reliance" is only a slightly better and more important book than "The Secret Life of Lobsters"? I agree with the presence of most of the books, but not the placement, which seems slapdash.

And what, no "Johnny Tremain"? Come aaaaahn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thayer. Show thayer's posts

Impossible, by Nancy Werlin - elegantly written novel

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from readergirl23. Show readergirl23's posts

Sigh. These top-whatever lists are designed to irritate, aren't they? Basically a round-up of whoever the Globe writers happen to be familiar with: always a limited group.

Many issues, but here's just one: how about some books by writers of color who actually live (or lived) in New England, instead of Famous Black Writers I've Heard Of Who Went To School Here For A Year?

So, for instance, the great Frederick Douglass, David Walker, Harriet Jacobs or, coming to the present, Henry Louis Gates, Stephen Carter (Emperor of Ocean Park), Kim McLarin (Jump At The Sun) ......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobnyc. Show tomobnyc's posts

Bobby Orr and the Big,Bad Bruins, by Stan Fischler. It beats Moby Dick any day of the week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jefferson20. Show jefferson20's posts

I'd add "The Story of a Bad Boy," by Thomas Bailey Aldrich.

Also, note with this type of reader rating scheme, the results tend to be mush, i.e., everything gets 3 stars to just more than 3 stars, even though the 100 books very greatly in quality and how they stand the test of time.  I've seen the same thing on movie rating sites, where everything levels out to a mush rating.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from littledirt. Show littledirt's posts

How about Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moliphant. Show moliphant's posts

Missing Linda Greenlaw's "The Hungry Ocean." Picked it up because of her association with Gloucester fishing and the crew from "A Perfect Storm." Quite the interesting look at a fisherman's life. Her later books are good too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from littledirt. Show littledirt's posts

[QUOTE]As an elementary school teacher I was happy to see Eric Carle, Mike Mulligan and of course Make Way for Ducklings, but you certainly missed And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry St.  Also, no Stephen King??? Really?
    Posted by tartiepants[/QUOTE]

tartiepants,

I'm afraid you missed Stephen King at # 20 (Carrie). It's easy to do (missed a few myself the first time through) Wink...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from orchidraven. Show orchidraven's posts

[QUOTE]As an elementary school teacher I was happy to see Eric Carle, Mike Mulligan and of course Make Way for Ducklings, but you certainly missed And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry St.  Also, no Stephen King??? Really?
    Posted by tartiepants[/QUOTE]

Also working with children, I was surprised Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney was not on there either. Great list though, I enjoyed it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from palm90. Show palm90's posts

Two other books should be included on this list:

1. Urban Villagers by Herbert Gans
    2. Streetcar Suburbs by Sam Bass Warner

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joekleine. Show joekleine's posts

"What? No John Updike?"

#60. Can people please check to make sure their authors aren't on the list before they ask, "whuffo you no..."

But yeah, hah, "Uncle Tom's Cabin." Pretty important book. Written in Maine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

I think because New England has always produced notable writers, it's impossible to form a list of "top anything" because there are so many of them.  Because there are a gazillion out there, you could have the top 100 Red Sox books, or the top 100 mysteries, or the top 100 novels. My personal favorite: The Boston Driver's Handbook.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

[QUOTE]"What? No John Updike?" #60. Can people please check to make sure their authors aren't on the list before they ask, "whuffo you no..." But yeah, hah, "Uncle Tom's Cabin." Pretty important book. Written in Maine.
    Posted by joekleine[/QUOTE]
    I DID scan the list and missed it the first time. When I noticed, I deleted the post. So there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tux611. Show Tux611's posts

Intriguing list..I would recommend 11 Seconds by Travis Roy, BU hockey player who suffered a life-threatening (and life altering) accident 7 seconds into his first shift.  Amazing story by a remarkable young man.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyHR. Show BobbyHR's posts

Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan. Marvellous, you'll love it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenWhite. Show BenWhite's posts

"Johnny Tremain", a children's revolutionary classic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Surly143. Show Surly143's posts

How about Joseph F. Dinneen??? 

He wrote "The Purple Shamrock" about James Michael Curely and "The Kennedy Family", the first ever biography on the Kennedy family.  Both of which, have become standards for research of all books written on these subjects since his first publications.

In his day, he was not only a standout in the Globe newsroom, but nationally recognized as a top notch crime reporter and political writer.  His book "Ward 8" was required reading for students at Yale and Harvard for generations.

Mr. Dinneen's theories on the Brink's Robbery were some of the most sought after true crime reads of its day through various publications and books.

His writings were also good enough for the big screen in "Murder in Massachusetts", starring Henry Fonda, and "Six Bridges to Cross" starring Tony Curtis.

Next time, before taking on a task such as this, ask the loyal Globe reporters, editors and employees who helped build the paper into national prominence rather than rely on the current leadership that is driving the paper into the ground.  Certainly a good debate, but I argue the books listed here are the most recognizable 100....not the best 100.  Where is Black Mass?  And was Howie Carr even considered or did he lose by default because he writes for the wrong paper?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seamuscarney. Show seamuscarney's posts

How is it that Vonnegut, Salinger and Kerouac can not crack the top 45 in this list?
    On Beauty by Zadie Smith is number 18!?!?!  Great list.

Sections
Shortcuts