1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quahoghammer. Show quahoghammer's posts

Re: The 100 essential New England books

Where's May Sarton? Plant Dreaming Deep is a quintessential New England book, as is The House By the Sea.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJimbo1. Show BigJimbo1's posts

how about:

Thornton Wilder's Theophilus North, set in Newport.  a great book, sadly out of print.

Van Reid's Moosepath League novels set in Maine. and

Kenneth Roberts' historical novels.  great stuff, set in colonial and revolutionary America, primarily Maine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomicrob. Show atomicrob's posts

A true raconteur, Brookfield Massachusetts resident John Jeppson spins a heartwarming, decades-long tale in Making Hay, the story of his family's generational voyage of the their farm's powerful influence on their lives. In a series of often funny, sometimes moving and always engaging anecdotes, the read is light but remains more than relevant to contemporary New England life. It's published by Tidepoolpress.com . . . 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpawgal. Show southpawgal's posts

[QUOTE]We've rounded up our list of the top books about New England or written by local authors .  Who'd we miss?  What's your favorite locally grown book?

"Tempus Fugit" and "Whispering Pines" from Salem author Mavis Applewater
    great reads

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from degrassi. Show degrassi's posts

How on Earth could Robert Cormier be left off this list? The Chocolate War is one of the best books ever written.Travesty!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

It might be helpful if readers became familiar with Samuel Eliot Morison.Not only did he make many pathfinding studies in early New England,the merchants,fisherman, and Harvard,he also presented  narratives in a striking fashion.
    He stands as a model for all historians.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from catzeb. Show catzeb's posts

Four Freedoms by John Crowley, an award winning writer who lives in Conway, MA.    He is also a part-time professor of writing at Yale University.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenSahn. Show BenSahn's posts

Some local books I have read that I think should be on the list:
    Walking Towards Walden, by John Hanson Mitchell (I would also recommend Looking for Mr. Gilbert, The Paradise of All These Parts, and Ceremonial Time, all by Mr. Mitchell)

The Death of an American Jewish Community, by Hillel Levine and Lawrence Harmon

Urban Exodus, by Gerald Gamm (A great counterpoint to the better known book by Levine and Harmon that I listed above.)

I would also recommend reading:
    The Stuff of Dreams, by Leah Hager Cohen

I am currently reading Gaining Ground, by Nancy Seasholes, and have some other Boston related books on my to read list.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougbrien. Show dougbrien's posts

My favorite as a young boy was Pirates and Buckeneers of the North Atlantic Coast by Edward Rowe Snow. This book brought out the history of our area in a time when the New england area was the home of Captain Kidd and so many others.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from minorityview. Show minorityview's posts

As a psychologist, I suggest Ronald Goldman's Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma. It is the first intensive exploration of the unrecognized psychological and social aspects of this harmful American cultural practice. The book is endorsed by professionals in the fields of psychology, psychiatry, child development, pediatrics, obstetrics, childbirth education, sociology, and anthropology. The text is supported with clinical reports, interviews, surveys, and thorough documentation. We learn that circumcision has potential adverse effects not only on men and sexuality, but also on mother-child relationships, male-female relationships, and societal traits and problems. This book identifies an important source of early pain and points us in the direction of both healing and preventing this pain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mskeillor. Show mskeillor's posts

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt.
    Dark Tide by Stephen Puleo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

In Response to Re: The 100 essential New England books:
    Some local books I have read that I think should be on the list: Walking Towards Walden, by John Hanson Mitchell (I would also recommend Looking for Mr. Gilbert , The Paradise of All These Parts, and Ceremonial Time, all by Mr. Mitchell) The Death of an American Jewish Community, by Hillel Levine and Lawrence Harmon Urban Exodus, by Gerald Gamm (A great counterpoint to the better known book by Levine and Harmon that I listed above.) I would also recommend reading: The Stuff of Dreams, by Leah Hager Cohen I am currently reading Gaining Ground, by Nancy Seasholes, and have some other Boston related books on my to read list.
    Posted by BenSahn

Have you read the Bread Givers by Yzerkska(sic)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

In Response to The 100 essential New England books:
    Who'd we miss?  What's your favorite locally grown book?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff

Who you missed is Henry Beston's The Outermost House, the quintessential book about Cape Cod.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezz945. Show mezz945's posts

In Response to The 100 essential New England books:
    We've rounded up our list of the top books about New England or written by local authors .  Who'd we miss?  What's your favorite locally grown book?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff

One of my favorite books set in New England is A Year in the Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeLady. Show YankeeLady's posts

Howard Frank Mosher:
      Waiting for Teddy Ballgame ***  Foreshadowed the Sox 2004 Series triumph by months
      Marie Blythe - my personal favorite of his
      Where the Rivers Flow North
    &                                       
       Disappearances 
    are both feature films by Jay Craven/Kingdom County productions

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebenedict. Show ebenedict's posts

A few others

Almost, by Elizabeth Benedict, a novel set on an island off the coast of MA that might suggest the Vineyard.  Globe bestseller.
    The novels of Stephen McCauley -- www.stephenmccauley.com
    The novels of Mameve Medwed.  -- www.mamevemedwed.com

write me for more! ebenedict@earthlink.net

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpub. Show cpub's posts

For a very funny, timely read, try "Master Spies Die Laughing" by Haverhill author, Dan Speers - www.danspeers.com

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capeannpatio. Show Capeannpatio's posts

Yes, I agree Miss Rumphius is wonderful, but what about  "A Mirror for Witches'  by Esther Forbes and "Johnny Tremain" by the same author?

n Response to Re: The 100 essential New England books:
    Also working with children, I was surprised Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney was not on there either. Great list though, I enjoyed it.
    Posted by orchidraven

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capeannpatio. Show Capeannpatio's posts

Yes, I second this suggestion-what a wonderful, heartfelt book.

Still Life with Chickens by Catherine Goldhammer  A contemporary memoir, poignant but not mawkish, funny, wise. Lovely read.
    Posted by KatesNonna

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capeannpatio. Show Capeannpatio's posts

yes, Last Night at the Lobster is such a poignant read-thanks for reminding us.
    I don't see any books by Tom Tryon (The Other and Harvest Home) both situated in Wethersfield and Cromwell, CT respectively.  I didn't see any books by the great writer Stewart O'Nan "Songs for the Missing" or "Last Night at the Lobster". Also don't see any mention of mystery writer Jack O'Connell whose latest book is "The Resurrectionist".  Check out this cool website:  http://www.enterlimbo.com/
    Posted by rosefitz

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capeannpatio. Show Capeannpatio's posts

Totally agree; this is a wonderful read in any season. It should definitely have been included in the top 100.
    In Response to The 100 essential New England books : Who you missed is Henry Beston's The Outermost House, the quintessential book about Cape Cod.
    Posted by Slack

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capeannpatio. Show Capeannpatio's posts

Another fabulous suggestion!
    The Given Day by Dennis Lehane is an absolutely mesmerizing book! It details so much of Boston's history, as well as others parts of the country briefly, woven around intertwining families and the how events affected them. I learned a lot more about Boston history that I did growing up in Southestern Massachusetts (in school). I love all of Dennis Lehane's books, whcih are so suspensful and yet funny. He does an amazing job of capturing the feel of the city, developing characters, and keeping you in suspense till the last possible minute. The movies never translate as well as I would like from the books but I still love them all! Can't wait for Shutter Island in October!
    Posted by meg02

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 128drivingteam. Show 128drivingteam's posts

The Orchard by Adele Crockett Robinson

This is a beautifully written memoir about a women who moves back to her family's home in Ipswich in an attempt to save their apple orchard during The Great Depression.

It was featured on Chronicle or one of those shoes almost 20 years ago. I bought the book for my mom in hard cover, and she was mesmorized by the whole thing. I picked it up, couldn't put it down, and have been buying used copies ever since to give as presents.

It is an unforgetable read approriate for those that were there, and those that think the Great Depression is something you treat with prozac:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WWD3. Show WWD3's posts

Elizabeth Bishop
    David Herbert Donald -- Charles Sumner
    Robert Frost
    Sarah Orne Jewett
    Fanny Farmer &/or Julia Child
    Jane Langton
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    Robert Lowell
    Francis Parkman
    Anne Sexton