A Cival Actiin, by Jonathan Harr.
    movie good ,but book better .!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandygal. Show sandygal's posts

Re: The 100 essential New England books

Sorry,  [ spelling .]

A Civil Action, Jonathan Harr.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrim. Show scrim's posts

Curious George by Hans and Margaret Rey

Hans and Margaret spent many years in Cambridge, MA and summered in Waterville (now Waterville Valley), NH

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ericapaige. Show ericapaige's posts

We've rounded up our list of the top books about New England or written by local authors .  Who'd we miss?  What's your favorite locally grown book?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff

what about all souls?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkain88. Show jkain88's posts

How about Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Jeff Kinney?

It has been on the NYT Best Seller list for over a year. The companion books always sell tremendously well. Mr. Kinney has inspired a new generation of readers. Just one title would have been fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgsboro. Show dgsboro's posts

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes of Westbourgh, MA.  The novel is about the life of a young apprentice in Boston in the early 1770's is one of the most highly acclaimed books for young readers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADFarman. Show ADFarman's posts

The creators of this list need to go back and read their Stephen King. The inclusion of Carrie on this list is only a nod to the fact that it is his first novel while it is nowhere near his finest. I would suggest 'Salem's Lot, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (the inspiration for one of the best films ever made), or Any of the books in or associated with the Dark Tower Series. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from meg02. Show meg02's posts

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane is an absolutely mesmerizing book! It details so much of Boston's history, as well as others parts of the country briefly, woven around intertwining families and the how events affected them. I learned a lot more about Boston history that I did growing up in Southestern Massachusetts (in school). I love all of Dennis Lehane's books, whcih are so suspensful and yet funny. He does an amazing job of capturing the feel of the city, developing characters, and keeping you in suspense till the last possible minute. The movies never translate as well as I would like from the books but I still love them all! Can't wait for Shutter Island in October!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HinkyDinksBoy. Show HinkyDinksBoy's posts

Big Screen Boston: From Mystery Street to The Departed and Beyond. Fun look at all the movies made in these parts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from katzkatz. Show katzkatz's posts

There are so many many great books by New Englanders. A few of the latest and greatest that I would like to mention are:

FICTION: Milkweed by Deahn Berrini
    This is a really amazing book that takes place in a New England coastal town. It's a coming of age story that also deals with the post-traumatic stress disorder of her boyfriend, who is returning from war. Unfortunately, it's a very timely novel, as a lot of people will be able to relate to this.

NON-FICTION: When Your Parent Moves In by Shira Block and David Horgan. This is a new book. While it's not something that we all love to think about, this is a reality of our times, that we may have to take our parents into our homes to care for them. This is a very easy-to-read book that is full of useful information about how to make important decision regarding the well-being of our elderly parents. It's a book that truly fills a niche about helping people with this. It's written by two long-time New England authors! Hope these books are interesting to folks. What a neat survey this is. I'm enjoying reading what people are posting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blavasky. Show blavasky's posts

Housekeeping; The Handmaid's Tale; Breath, Eyes, Memory; and The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao belong on any number of top 100 (or top 20 or 10) lists, but New England books?

How about Carolyn Chute or Emily Dickinson or Phyllis Wheatley?  Or the books of David Gessner?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SamM-M. Show SamM-M's posts

Love the kids books that were included, but you might want to throw in some Dr. Seuss.  

The combination of histories and novels opens up the question of whether you might want to throw in some poetry as well... though that could be a separate 100.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from darl. Show darl's posts

"Conversations with Tom" Written by a North Andover Woman who had conversations with her husband after his death..excellent read...gives the reader lots to think about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcurrieus. Show dcurrieus's posts

I'd include:
    Tip O'Neill and the Democratic Century by John Farrell
    Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy by the Team at the Globe
    Death at an Early Age by Jonathan Kozol
    Sailing Alone Around the World by Captain Joshua Slocum
    Anne Sexton, a biography by Diane Wood Middlebrook
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles, and
    The Outermost House by Henry Beston

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3302338. Show user_3302338's posts

We've rounded up our list of the top books about New England or written by local authors .  Who'd we miss?  What's your favorite locally grown book?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff

You missed Johnny Tremain

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sara84. Show sara84's posts

You missed a lot.  How about Dark Tide by Puleo(?), 1776 by McCulough (?) (the first part is all Boston), Cider House Rules among a few., The Proper Bostonian just to name a few.Yell

Your list seems to leave out the whole immigrant experience.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChryslerCub. Show ChryslerCub's posts

One of my favorite books as a young teenager was left off of the list - Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes.  A great story about a young man in Boston at the time of the start of the Revolution.  The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys by Doris Kearns Goodwin is another Boston-flavored favorite.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redhead7. Show redhead7's posts

Dedham based author and illustrator Peter H. Reynolds surely was missed from this top 100 list.  His books, The Dot, Ish and The North Star are hugely popular worldwide and have won numerous awards for excellence, animation, and storytelling.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cagey66. Show cagey66's posts

I would add Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham. It's a little book, a fictionalized biography of Nathaniel Bowditch, the Salem born sailor who taught himself advanced mathematics and revolutionized the way that latitude and longitude are calculated. His reference book is still used by sailors today. It's full of Yankee know-how and American stick-to-it-iveness as well as Ivy League education longing. Bowditch always wanted to go to Harvard. It's a shame that MIT didn't exist back then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinovr. Show tinovr's posts

I enjoyed

Missing Links by Rick Reilly... Caddyshack, New England Style.

and of course

The Brothers Bulger: How They Terrorized and Corrupted Boston for a Quarter Century by Howie Carr

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hhiscpatsfan. Show hhiscpatsfan's posts

What about The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - awesome book by a Boston based author and also William Martin's Back Bay is an awesome summer beach read!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEKEXPAT. Show NEKEXPAT's posts

Great concept and an interesting start, though heavily weighted to southern New England and recent books that may not stand the test of time. Northern New England could be better represented with books like Howard Mosher's Disappearances and Where the Rivers Flow North, Ernest Hebert's The Dogs of March, David Budbill's The Chainsaw Dance and Carolyn Chute's The Beans of Egypt Maine.  Van Wyck Brooks' New England Indian Summer is an overlooked classic. And what about the foundations: Mary Rowlandson's captivity narrative and John Winthrop's journals -- great stuff in both.  On the children's literature front, McCloskey's One Morning in Maine and Blueberries for Sal also deserve mention, as do Mary Azarian's wonderful illustrated offerings like A Farmer's Alphabet, Here Comes Darryl, and A Christmas Like Helen's; Natalie Kinsey-Warneck's A Farm of Her Own is another understated treasure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cupcakejam. Show cupcakejam's posts

Conspicuously missing:

Our Bodies, Ourselves by the Boston Womens Health Book Collective

Wicked by Gregory Macguire, who lives in Brookline or something and whose book was turned into the hugely successful broadway play of the same name

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney should have been on there

and a personal favorite, "sing a song of people" illustrated by giles laroche, which depicts a boy looking for his dog in boston. there are others. I forgive you johnny tremain because I never liked the book when I read it in school, anyway.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cupcakejam. Show cupcakejam's posts

Also, thank you for including Bill Bryson's a Walk In The Woods. His slightly less popular book "i'm a stranger here myself" would also have been good, as it also takes place in Hanover NH, and is absolutely hilarious!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourthestate. Show fourthestate's posts

Missed The Outermost House by Henry Beston. New England author, New England subject. 

Sections
Shortcuts