1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

What are you reading? (2009 edition)

At the moment I am in the middle of Barbara Tuchman's Middle Ages Epic  "A Distant Mirror" about the incredibly eventful 14th century

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Re: What are you reading? (2009 edition)

[QUOTE]At the moment I am in the middle of Barbara Tuchman's Middle Ages Epic  "A Distant Mirror" about the incredibly eventful 14th century
    Posted by jusdefax[/QUOTE]
    Barbara Tuchman remains one of the great writers of history. The Guns of August is one of the finest accounts of the beginning of World War I.
    Individuals  living in the first half of the Twentieth Century felt they had been born at the wrong time.Yet, after you read the Distant Mirror it's crystal clear other centuries have endured far worse problems.
    It's too bad students do not get a chance to glimpse other dark centuries like the 5th Century of the Barbarian Invasions,the 9th,10th,and 11th Centuries of the Magyar and Viking invasions.

Too often other cultures believe Europeans are arrogant and smug about their cultures. It's a shame they do not know about these centuries when civilization disappeared in Europe.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

"A Distant Mirror" is an incredible read. If you can take a little speculation with your history, there is much to be learned. But to answer the question, right now I'm reading "Generation Me," by Jean M. Twenge.

My kids claim it's nonsense.

I see it as wisdom.

Perspective is a funny thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

I have read or it is on my book shelf to read

The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters - Elizabeth Robinson
    Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs
    The Rage and the Pride - Oriana Fallaci
    The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk
    Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Alli
    Amazing Grace - Danielle Steel

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bikejanitor. Show bikejanitor's posts

You can't go wrong w/Neville Shute....great author.

Currently reading Peter Robinson's English mystery series w/Chief Inspector Alan Banks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[QUOTE]Pride and Prejudice and Zombies! It's hilarious. If you like Jane Austen, you'll love this book.  On Amazon! http://tinyurl.com/rb2lo3
    Posted by jeanine554[/QUOTE]

No, if you really like Jane Austen, you should hate the cheapening of her work that is evident from the title.  All this zombie and vampire schlock is sickmaking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobek. Show Sobek's posts

[QUOTE]No, if you really like Jane Austen, you should hate the cheapening of her work that is evident from the title.  All this zombie and vampire schlock is sickmaking.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

No, actually this zombie infused book is awesome. Cheapening her work? Are you kidding me? This is all in fun. Lighten up Francis....sheesh.

Bring on Darcy of the Dead! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joysea. Show joysea's posts

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Look it up on amazon.com.

It's a wonderful read.  Not too ponderous.  If you have a dog that is smarter than most people you know, you'll especially love this book.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gloomy1597. Show gloomy1597's posts

[QUOTE]The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein Look it up on amazon.com. It's a wonderful read.  Not too ponderous.  If you have a dog that is smarter than most people you know, you'll especially love this book.
    Posted by joysea[/QUOTE]

Great book!  If you liked this book, try Dog On It by Spencer Quinn.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Shooter, great book.

Next will be Mark Levin's book, and people should read The Great Influenza, by John Barry, (about the flu pandemic of 1918) that was a great book too.  Most people have no idea of why the CDC and WHO are all up in arms about the swine flu....read this book and you'll understand.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from QMLB. Show QMLB's posts

I am finishing Son of a Witch (The Wicked years book 2) and then I will move on to A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years book 3) by Gregory Maguire.  This is the trilogy that the musical Wicked is based on.  You will never look at The Wizard of Oz story the same way again.  Gregory Maguire has also turned other famous fairytales on their heads.  Try Confession of an Ugly Stepsister--it's Cinderella from the stepsister's point of view.  FABULOUS!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zack182. Show Zack182's posts

One If By Heaven, Two If By Hell.  I was given an advance copy by the author. It comes out Friday, May 29th by Leucrota Press. Author is Rick Maydak.  Available on Barnesandnoble.com, amazon.com.  Great, gritty horror story that takes place in Boston. 

Synopsis:

Boston bartender Ethan Reyes has the haunting ability to read minds.

He cannot control it. It plagues his daily life as unwanted thoughts assault him on all sides at all times. Absorbing a million lifetimes of pain and joy—none of them his own—has left Ethan confused, alone, and questioning his own past. The only way to numb the pain, to drown it out, is to drink himself into a stupor each night to squeeze in a few hours of sleep.

Strange, horrific things begin occurring at the bar, and the patrons are being tormented and slowly killed off. When the source of the suffering makes itself known—a demon of the vilest order—Ethan is thrown into a world of deception and sin, and must overcome his misgivings of using his ‘gift’ if he is to overpower the creature after his very soul.

With the help of Father Ryan, whose own faith is wavering, Ethan begins to unravel the demon’s motive of surfacing on earth, as well as secrets to his own hazy past.

Time is running out, and Ethan needs to find the demon before the monster’s hellish plan can come to pass, and the world Ethan knows as home is changed forever.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bluedem. Show Bluedem's posts

I just finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.  It's a tale of 1947 small town British life, involving the village doctor, an upper class family falling on hard-times and mysterious happenings at a decaying manor house.  Incredibly well-written and a terrific summer page turner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Now: "A Supposedly Fun thing I'll Never Do Again" by David Foster Wallace  [you don't read Wallace so much as chew on it - talk about some meaty prose...]

Before: "Out Of Vienna" by Ernie Weiss and "The Girl in the Italian Bakery" by Kenneth Tingle

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_52526. Show user_52526's posts

What a huge coincidence that people have read or are reading "A Distant Mirror".  It was a gift from my grandparents years ago, started it, put it down, and on a whim picked it back up and just finished.  Not a century I would like to visit.  Have you also read her "March of Folly"?  Also very well done.  Recently recommended to a friend "Carnage and Culture" (or is it the reverse?), can't recall the author at the moment.  If your interested in another book about France in the Middle Ages read "The Last Duel" by Eric Jager.

Anyway, right now I'm reading Patrick O'Brien's "HMS Surprise".  In-between heavier more thoughtful books I like to read O'Brien or Cornwell or military sci-fi like "Old Man's War" by Scalzi.

If you ever want to get really paranoid about swine flu or the like read "The Hot Zone".  Scary stuff!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JakeB66. Show JakeB66's posts

I on the last chapter of this book that I found unbelievable for non-fiction.  It's called "Return to Smuttynose Island and other Maine Axe Murders" by Emeric Spooner.  Sure, the title is off-puting enough, but since its non-fiction and a famous murder case from Maine, I can't imagine another more fitting title.  The true account of the 1873 double axe murder committed by Louis Wagner is told in realistic detail, that puts the reader almost on the island on that fateful March night.  The Trial, jailbreak, double execution on the gallows of Thomaston Prison, later deathbed confession, all are told from the original newspaper accounts and trial transcripts of the day.  I saw the book on the local news and was lucky to find it on Amazon. 
    http://www.amazon.com/Return-Smuttynose-Island-Other-Murders/dp/1441485872/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_52526. Show user_52526's posts

[QUOTE]I on the last chapter of this book that I found unbelievable for non-fiction.  It's called "Return to Smuttynose Island and other Maine Axe Murders" by Emeric Spooner.  Sure, the title is off-puting enough, but since its non-fiction and a famous murder case from Maine, I can't imagine another more fitting title.  The true account of the 1873 double axe murder committed by Louis Wagner is told in realistic detail, that puts the reader almost on the island on that fateful March night.  The Trial, jailbreak, double execution on the gallows of Thomaston Prison, later deathbed confession, all are told from the original newspaper accounts and trial transcripts of the day.  I saw the book on the local news and was lucky to find it on Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Return-Smuttynose-Island-Other-Murders/dp/1441485872/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
    Posted by JakeB66[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_52526. Show user_52526's posts

Wasn't this story the basis for a movie with Sean Penn a few years back?  The movie went back and forth in time between the actual event and the present, where a woman was researching the case.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMonaLisa. Show IrishMonaLisa's posts

I just read The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I read it in a span of a few days and loved it.  Even though it's been a week since I finished it, the characters still haven't left my mind. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Wasn't this story the basis for a movie with Sean Penn a few years back?  The movie went back and forth in time between the actual event and the present, where a woman was researching the case.   
    Posted by sssandd[/QUOTE]

Technically the movie was based on The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve, but the flashbacks definitely could have been based on that case.

"In 1873, two women living on the Isles of Shoals, a lonely, windswept group of islands off the coast of New Hampshire, were brutally murdered. A third woman survived, cowering in a sea cave until dawn. More than a century later, Jean, a magazine photographer working on a photoessay about the murders, returns to the Isles with her husband..."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

Still reading "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman!

Grad school got in the way.

I did manage to read "Pillars of the Earth", "World Without End", and "Hamilton".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from diva886. Show diva886's posts

I'm currently reading Tom Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons on my Kindle. So far it's pretty good.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmlaw. Show gmlaw's posts

Shadow of the Wind is one of my all-time favorites.  The next book in the series, The Angel's Game, which I read this summer, is very good but not great.  I've also been plowing through a handful of Dennis Lehane books.  Good summer reads.

Sections
Shortcuts