1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: What are you reading? (2010 edition)

Oh, I love that novel, EES. I'm so glad you're liking it.

I haven't read it in years, though. You've inspired me to add it to my stack of books, once again.

The fawn just finished The Lovely Bones. She's seen the film a few times. Now she's devouring the S.E. Hinton novels.

My ex loves histories. He's reading Adam Goodheart's The Civil War Awakening.

His middle sister refuses to read fiction. She feels it's beneath her.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

RDG:

Did you see that a few years ago Grass admitted that he'd been in the SS?  Maybe adds some back story to the undercurrent of guilt that haunts The Tin Drum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Yes, EES, I read about that. And such news by authors can't help but color my readings. As much as I love Pound and Rilke, and am able to separate their anti-Semitism from their poems, I still think about their other story. (Rilke's anti-Semitism is found in his short stories.) Grass was 17 when he was conscripted and 15 when he tried to volunteer on his own, old enough to know better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

This morning I purchased The Letters of Samuel Beckett: 1941 - 1956.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I'm reading The Diary of a Nobody by George and Wheedon Grossmith.  It's not bad, but I think I would find it funnier if I got more of the references.

The book is a diary written by someone who is rather pompous and misses a lot of cues.  The thing is, though, there are some parts of the book where I think I'm supposed to realize how ridiculous the narrator (Mr. Pooter) is, but since I don't know the context, I just feel badly for him.  For example, in one scene he and 3 friends go to a pub too early.  Apparently they can enter if they are travelers, and when asked where he's from, Pooter gives an answer that doesn't allow him to enter, but the other 3 do get in.  Pooter sits outside for an hour while the others hoist a few in the pub.  The thing is, his friend is annoyed at Pooter for this and I think the reader is supposed to see why, but I don't.  I am sure it has to do with what town Pooter said he was from, but it's a nuance I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm a bit of an anglophile, and I usually follow British literature with no problem, but these references are I think really of their time, rather than timeless.  RDG -- you'd probably pick up all the local references easily, I'd think.  I really didn't get the pub reference because I've been to England many times, and I couldn't get into pubs before 4 -- and I was definitely a traveler!  Laughing

Anyway, the book has gotten funnier as I've gotten further into it -- in that cringe-worthy way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TamaraLee. Show TamaraLee's posts

In Response to Re: What are you reading? (2010 edition):
    I had no idea Jaycee had written a book, thanks for the heads up! In Response to Re: What are you reading? (2010 edition) :
    Posted by BCTW

You're welcome, it was a great book.  She has so much strength it's amazing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Dr. Who?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: What are you reading? (2010 edition) : Was the most honest, and hilarious, autobiography I've ever read. Also quite interesting. Highly recommended for anyone who knows who Tom Baker is...  
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Thanks for the recommendation -- that will go on my holiday shopping list for Mr. Sandwich (who is a big Dr. Who fan).

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I started  reading" The Wanting Seed" by Anthony Burgess earlier this week for an ethical review I need to do for school. The good news is the review is likely going to almost write itself...the bad news is reading at night is giving me some bizarre dreams...Burgess is blowing me away..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Reading "The Religious Literacy", subtitled "What Every American Needs To Know-And Doesn't".

Written by Stephen Prothero, a professor at BU. Wrote it after he realized his students knew very little about religion.

Polls show only 10% of American teenagers can name the 5 major religions and 15% cannot name any.

Particularly interesting on a broader scale since despite this lack of basic knowledge, politicians and pundits continue to root public policy arguments in religious rhetoric whose meanings are missed, or misinterpreted, by the vast majority of Americans,

Because of this, the author promotes the idea that in addition to teaching the basic three Rs of education, religion should be added as a 4th R in public school education.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Reading "The Religious Literacy", subtitled "What Every American Needs To Know-And Doesn't". Written by Stephen Prothero, a professor at BU. Wrote it after he realized his students knew very little about religion. Polls show only 10% of American teenagers can name the 5 major religions and 15% cannot name any. Particularly interesting on a broader scale since despite this lack of basic knowledge, politicians and pundits continue to root public policy arguments in religious rhetoric whose meanings are missed, or misinterpreted, by the vast majority of Americans, Because of this, the author promotes the idea that in addition to teaching the basic three Rs of education, religion should be added as a 4th R in public school education.
    Posted by andiejen
    \
    Sounds like a really interesting book...I was having this discussion last week with a couple of classmates..the value of teaching some sort of religious history course at the high school level..like foreign language study..the US is woefully behind other countries in terms of educating on religion ( which is not the same as practicing).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: What are you reading? (2010 edition) : \ Sounds like a really interesting book...I was having this discussion last week with a couple of classmates..the value of teaching some sort of religious history course at the high school level..like foreign language study..the US is woefully behind other countries in terms of educating on religion ( which is not the same as practicing).
    Posted by miscricket

mscricket:

Thank you. You made a very good point. This book and what the author is advocating is teaching about religion....not practicing religion...in the public school system.

Halfway through. IMO he has done a great job with this book. A book I think everyone could appreciate. Written in 2007 so must be in paperback by now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanceWithMe71. Show DanceWithMe71's posts

You guys and gals should try reading something fun. Also if you want religion inschool then go to a catholic school.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

You guys and gals should try reading something fun. Also if you want religion inschool then go to a catholic school.
    Posted by DanceWithMe71

This is not about practicing religion, but about teaching religion from an intellectual viewpoint. If citizens do not understand the very basics of religion then they can hardly understand what is really benind much of the global strife in the world. If students at BU cannot name the 5 basic religions in the world and the basic tenets of each religion I find that a little bit scary. Esp. since these students signed up for a class on religion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Gee Dancewithme...are you reading anything at the moment..? What do you suggest as "fun" reading...?

Andiejen..I wouldn't pay too much attention to dancewithme...I put her on ignore..she is nothing but an internet troll..she is someone who has been following me around under various names..and whenever she is caught..she changes names again. Sorry that she interrupted a great thread.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: What are you reading? (2010 edition) : This is not about practicing religion, but about teaching religion from an intellectual viewpoint. If citizens do not understand the very basics of religion then they can hardly understand what is really benind much of the global strife in the world. If students at BU cannot name the 5 basic religions in the world and the basic tenets of each religion I find that a little bit scary. Esp. since these students signed up for a class on religion.
    Posted by andiejen

I took a religious history class last semester..and loved every second of it. I think it's important for people to be educated on topics such as these and to see the history behind commonly held beliefs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Sounds intriguing, andiejen. I'll pick it up.

Americans are woefully ignorant on comparative religion - and geography. I love 'em both, and the latter was my best and favorite subject growing up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Gee Dancewithme...are you reading anything at the moment..? What do you suggest as "fun" reading...? Andiejen..I wouldn't pay too much attention to dancewithme...I put her on ignore..she is nothing but an internet troll..she is someone who has been following me around under various names..and whenever she is caught..she changes names again. Sorry that she interrupted a great thread.
    Posted by miscricket

mscricket:

Thank you for sharing that. The funny thing is I joined this discussion group...and a movie group...in an attempt to have a couple of non-adversarial groups.

Yet, since I posted what I am reading...oops. 

I guess I should be happy by book provoked some discussion and maybe enough interest some may read it.

This came out of my attempt to keep posting while I am at home resting, as you know.

I do not believe in coincidences so I guess this was meant to be. Happy Thanksgiving! Again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Sounds intriguing, andiejen. I'll pick it up. Americans are woefully ignorant on comparative religion - and geography. I love 'em both, and the latter was my best and favorite subject growing up.
    Posted by reindeergirl

reindeergirl:

I agree that Americans are terribly ignorant on comparative religion. Glad you think it is interesting enough to pick up.

Also agree Americans are pretty ignorant on geography. I cannot say that was my best subject growing up. Math and the physical sciences as well as music were.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I prefer biographies   "Stories I Only Tell my Friends"  Rob Lowe.      I am waiting for  "The Other Side of Fame and Family"  Bill Hudson  to arrive.
    Posted by dog-lady

dog-lady:

I adore biographies.  Also love autobiographies. "Me" by Katherine Hepburn is very interesting, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I am re-reading Graham Greene's The End of the Affair. After that, it's on to Steven Pinker's new book, The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined. My book stack is ceiling-high, but in the winter/spring I'll be reading all modernist poetry, all the time (for a course). That, and the newspapers that I love (for me).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

All awespme, WhatDo!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

"Shockaholic"  by Carrie Fisher  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/carrie-fisher.html?ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=print

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Just beginning "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo".  The author, Stieg Larsson, who passed in 2004, has a very interesting background. Want to finish it before I see the movie.

Also on my night stand are two books by Christopher Hitchens, who of course died recently.

"god is not Great", subtitled "How Religion Poisons Everything". The other a 700 page collection of his essays called "Arguably". 

An atheist to the end, I assume he now knows if he was correct. Myself, not an atheist, am ready for what is billed as an all-out attack on all aspects of religion.

Sections
Shortcuts