1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

What are you Reading? (2012 edition)

I'm working my way through Team of Rivals after having put it down for a long while.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Re: What are you Reading? (2012 edition)

I just finished Born Standing Up by Steve Martin, which he describes not as an autobiography, but as a "biography of someone I used to be".  It's the story of his standup career, and it's quite good.  I would have liked a little more detail of how he arrived at some of his routines, but on the whole it was a very good read.

I am also halfway through A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon and I am loving it!  The description of the book does not really capture it at all.  But that doesn't mean I have a better description!  Each character is very well drawn and so distinct.  It's a pleasure to read.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

Reading As I lay Dying by Faulkner

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I'm now reading Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold.  I am a huge fan of hers and this book is a return to her Vorkosigan saga.  It's very good (almost all of the Vorgosigan books are great, with the one exception, IMO, of A Civil Campaign, which is a decent romance novel, but is really not science fiction).

There are some interesting parallels in this book where a corporation is buying up voting shares on one world -- one person one vote, except.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

Recently finished The Hunger Games. I know I'll probably get grief, but after all the hype, I have to say I was a bit disappointed. There seemed to be very little action and the ending seemed quite predictable. Other than running through the woods toward different plumes of smoke, it seemed like there was little suspense. The best part was probably that with Rue, however the climactic scene was far-fetched at best.

I wouldn't recommend this to adult readers, although many of my adult friends enjoyed it. It is certainly an easy read....perhaps too easy. Let the teens keep this one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

A Chance In The World   An Orphan Boy, a Mysterious Past and How He found a Place Called Home  by Steve Pemberton ~~~   very inspiring

Both of Us: My Life with Farrah  by Ryan O'Neal ~~~  okay if you like celebrity memoirs,  I ended up feeling bad for Lee Majors

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

THE  ART OF FIELDING -  CHAD HARBACH

THE ROAD TO WIGAN PIER --- GEORGE ORWELL

A SPORT AND A PASTIME ---- JAMES SALTER

THE GREATER JOURNEY--- DAVID McCULLOUGH

CIDER WITH ROSIE ----- LAURIE LEE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOPE YOU ENJOY ...................

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I recently finished Heat Wave by Penelope Lively.  It took some getting used to, because it was all written in the present tense.  (She looks out the window and sees her daughter walk into the driveway....)  Eventually the subtle observations started to grow on me, enough that I am now reading another of her books, Passing On.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from testboston11. Show testboston11's posts

love in a nutshell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from melody135. Show melody135's posts

lady with a dragon tatoo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JSCAllen. Show JSCAllen's posts

Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore:

This is a phenomenally moving and enlightening book on the multifaceted world of the soul, and how it informs our outlook, behavior and connectedness. I can't recommend this book too much. It is that good. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Care-Soul-Cultivating-Sacredne-ebook/dp/B000FC10ZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349273860&sr=8-3&keywords=care+of+the+soul

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

After reading Heat Wave by Penelope Lively, I started to read Passing On by the same author, which I did not like as much.  I also started How It All Began, which I may return to and finish eventually.

Next I read And Then She Found Me, by Elinor Lipman, which I really liked, so much so that I then read The Pursuit of Alice Thrift by her, which I liked even better, and I'm now reading Isabel's Bed.

I also started to reread The Prisoner of Zenda, with the thought of getting my 13-year-old to read it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

'The Mote In God's Eye' by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

A Science Fiction classic, I read it in the 80's. I was about to begin reading the sequel 'The Gripping Hand' , but I thought I should refresh my memory and reread the first book before starting this sequel.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Just finished a novella by Gene Wolfe called Freefall. I'm looking forward to reading the new Iain Banks Culture series book as soon as I get around to downloading it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"My Mother Was Nuts" A Memoir by Penny Marshall

Amusing

"Cyndi Lauper" A Memoir

Interesting

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosie dsouza. Show rosie dsouza's posts

I have just finished reading a book named "Oh!!Shit not again" It is story of 5 friends and their relationship.. It is good book and nice story!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosie dsouza. Show rosie dsouza's posts

I have just finished reading a book named "Oh!!Shit not again" It is story of 5 friends and their relationship.. It is good book and nice story!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjray7. Show jjray7's posts

"Qumran In Context" By Yizhar Hirschfeld.  He is one of scholars against the Essene hypothesis.

I'll be reading James Tabor's, "Paul and Jesus" when it comes out soon.  I expect him to argue Jesus highjacked Christianity.  Tabor's work is tainted by his overblown claims about the Talpiot tomb (at least I view them as overblown).  Paul is a controversial figure ripe for a mainstream book.  Prof. Robert Eisenman has laid substantial on this front.  We'll see what Tabor is able to produce.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Hello Folks,

Try my friends book "Apron Anxiety." You'll love it!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Just finished, Coaching Confidential....Brilliant