1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

Re: What are you reading? 2013

http://www.amazon.com/The-Glory-Their-Times-Perennial/dp/0061994715

Lawrence Ritter loved old school baseball just as I always did. Great book.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notaliberal1. Show notaliberal1's posts

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

Thought I'd start the new thread a few days early.

I finally saw the film The Town (a year or two late), loved it in a way I thought I wouldn't (and man, how handsome Ben Affleck is in sunglasses and a police officer's uniform!). Two Saturdays ago, they were playing it all day, all night, on one of the cable stations, and, with the flu, it was good to see it, over and over.

Anyway, I liked it so much I turned to Chuck Hogan's Prince of Thieves, from which the film was adapted. This book will close out my reading for the 2012.

DD is taking me to see Life of Pi on New Year's Day, which gives me three days to read the thing while reading "Prince." "Pi" is how I will begin my 2013 reading, along with a few gifts I received:

A David Foster Wallace biography

A posthumous David Foster Wallace essay collection

Best American Short Stories 2012

Dave Eggars, A Hologram for the King

DD knows that a happy mommy is a reading mommy, and planned her gift-giving as such. :) (Actually, she didn't have to give me anything. Her presence on Christmas morning before goibg off with her father, and her own love of reading, was my Christmas present.)

For fun, I picked up Keith Richards's authobiograpy, Fun, and Ken Caillat's Fleetwood Mac memoir, Making Rumours.

So, that should hold me for January.

With what reading will you kick off the New Year?

i'm reading "A Clash of Kings"...nice light summer reading

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn. I was not prepared for the second half of the book- a good thing!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman.

Joyland - Stephen King.

And, to get away from mind candy - Stag Leap, Sharon Olds' poems on the end of her marriage.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Really didn't want to read Claire Messud's The Woman Upstairs. But I really wanted to know what happened at the end, to make our narrator so angry. So I looked for spoilers - couldn't find any, and no-one will tell me.

I'm only on chapter 2, and I couldn't be more bored. This "novel" reads like a thesis for a Gender Studies degree and the narrator (perhaps Messud herself) makes all kinds of assumptions about mid-life artistic women.

But I'll finish it, root-canal style, because I have to finish books, and because I really do want to know why the eponymous narrator is so p*ssed off.

After this, Alice Hoffmann's (sp?) Doves book; then, more Alice Munro - how I adore her!

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"Carrie and Me" A Mother-Daughter Love Story,   Carol Burnett

Easy read, a memoir

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Finished Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson last night..and then got up..checked all the locks on the doors again..and slept with the light on.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Finished Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson last night..and then got up..checked all the locks on the doors again..and slept with the light on.

Oh, I love books that make one double-check the locks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I prefer memoirs and biographies

Michael Bolton  "The Soul Of It All"  My Music, My Life

"As I Knew Him" My Dad, Rod Serling    by Anne Serling

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

Oh, I love books that make one double-check the locks!

Oh..me too....I can never resist a good suspense/thriller. I am not a big Steven King fan..but I do love Dean Koontz.

I am fast becoming a fan of Lisa Jackson. I read The Morning After a few weeks ago and it was pretty good..but not creepy like Lost Souls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Just started The Bad Place by Dean Koontz. I am sure this means I am not going to get a lot of sleep over the next few nights.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Right now I'm reading "The Quantum Thief" by Hannu Rajaniemi.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"Shirley Jones: A Memoir"           http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-shirley-jones-memoir-reportedly-dropping-sexy-joan-collins-scene-20130802,0,363898.story

I just ordered this the other day, sounds like a fun read!

ETA: Just finished it, if you must read it, get it from the library...

Kind of trashy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Martian Time-Slip: Philip K. Dick

Crazy From The Heat- Autobiography by David Lee Roth (vacation  material)

Something by Dennis Lehane.....soon...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Read a ton on vacation -- my two favorites were The Weird Sisters and Wally Lamb's Wishin' and Hopin'. 

Wally's was laugh-out-loud funny in spots, the way Dave Barry's wonderful column in the Sunday Globe Magazine used to be. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.  Karen Joy Fowler. 

Premise: Twin sisters, except for the fact that...

Probably the only contemporay novel I have ever read that I wish I could discuss with a group. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I recently made a decision to buy and re-read a bunch of the books that had the biggest impact on me when I was in biggest reading years, early twenties.

The first one I'm reading is Hermann Hesse's 'Steppenwolf', which is every bit as powerful as I remembered it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I've been reading alot this summer. Six Years by Harlan Corbin was good and I started reading Inferno by Dan Brown.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheWiredJournal. Show TheWiredJournal's posts

I'm currently reading Mark levin's newest Book "The Liberty Amendments" A must read by all. Inspired by Mark Levins book, the citizens for self governance has launched The Convention of States project, To find out more information on this project and how you can become involved; please vist the convention of states project at http://www.conventionofstates.com

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nikor1985. Show nikor1985's posts

ff test

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheWiredJournal. Show TheWiredJournal's posts

In response to nikor1985's comment:

ff test

ff Test???? I'm unclear of what that is nikor

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

After Hesse's Steppenwolf, I read Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, followed by Catcher in the Rye.

Now I'm reading John Barth's The Floating Opera. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Escaper. Show Escaper's posts

I've read Steven King's 'Under the Dome', even before the TV series started off. Like this author.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

" By Night in Chile",....................Roberto Bolano

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

The Eagle and the Raven  by James Michener

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fondle. Show Fondle's posts

I just fininshed Mary Ruefle's Seleted Poems and her book of "lectures," Madness, Rack, and Honey.  She's FUNNY, nothing mannered, nothing phony...the real thing, an honest writer with a wild imagination.  And clear!  So refreshing to have a unique, yet lucid poet.   

Sections
Shortcuts