1. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

What are you reading?(2008 edition)

I just finished reading "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks.� EXCELLENT!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from doglvr. Show doglvr's posts

My book club just finished her book Year of Wonder.  Couldn't put it down.  What is this book about?

I'm now reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaleo Hosseini, who wrote The Kite Runner.  This book is also excellent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

I'm currently reading 1215, the story of King John and England in the time of the Magna Carta. Very interesting view into the world as it was in Medieval times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver1. Show madriver1's posts

[Quote]

My book club just finished her book Year of Wonder.  Couldn't put it down.  What is this book about?

[/Quote]

People of the book traces the history of an ancient Hebrew text, from its creation centuries ago through everyone who possessed it, using clues found in the binding.  Fascinating!

Brooks also wrote MARCH, which tells the story of the father of Little Women and what he was doing while they were home in Concord during the time of their own story.  Year of Wonder was good also - - Geraldine Brooks is now one of my all-time favorite authors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from minirmc. Show minirmc's posts

This book is one of the most depressing I have ever encountered. I do not understand how a man who, as a child, was the victim of an alcoholic father could do the same thing to his own daughter. McCourt has no moral compass, and 'Tis was written to capitalize on the success of Angela's Ashes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilcrowe. Show wilcrowe's posts

I'm about halfway through Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families by J. Anthony Lukas.  Can't believe it has taken me so long to get around to reading this book.  Anyone who calls Boston and its environs home needs to read this book. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphk. Show ralphk's posts

War Against The Weak; America's Camapign TO Create A Master Race  Kinda says it all doesn't it?  The Eugenics movement that ultimately led to the crematoriums of Auschwitz started here in America with forced sterilizations of those considered "unfit".  It's a dark and fascinating chapter in our country's history.  Highly readable, well researched.  I've recommended it to everyone with a brain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff7971. Show jeff7971's posts

I'm reading OVER THE MOAT, by James Sullivan, it's a love story about a man from QUINCY, MASS that went to Vietnam in 1992 and fell in love with a woman from Hue, VN.  Quite an amazing story, but also, a wonderful tell all tale about a youth from the Suburbs of Boston. Lot's of emotion, well done. Got this off of Amazon, found it when researching for a trip to VN, author is Michener Fellow from U of Iowa and also wrote the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC book on VN.  Great read.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JunoRN. Show JunoRN's posts

I'm reading "The year of living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs. It's hilarious. Young secular New York Jew who wants to find some meaning in religion, so he tries to live one year as biblically as possible. I'm not not that interested in religion myself, but he discovers some very interesting tidbits about the Bible and religious people in general.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skier7303. Show skier7303's posts

I'm currently reading 'Dreams from my father' by Barack Obama.  So far, it's a great read.  Very interesting to read a politicians autobiography that was written long before he entered politics.  (For those who don't know, he wrote the book the year after he graduated from Harvard Law.)  Obama really has an unbelievable story to tell, and given the timing of the primary season and upcoming general election, it's very fitting. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HinkyDinksBoy. Show HinkyDinksBoy's posts

I'm finishing up 'Big Screen Boston: From Mystery Street to The Departed and Beyond.' Really comprehensive book about all the movies made in Boston. There are a lot more than I ever imagined, and many of the obscure ones sound really interesting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttercup2008. Show buttercup2008's posts

[Quote]I'm about halfway through Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families by J. Anthony Lukas.  Can't believe it has taken me so long to get around to reading this book.  Anyone who calls Boston and its environs home needs to read this book.  [/Quote]

Great book - that has heald up well with the passing of years

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from b0uncingtiggers. Show b0uncingtiggers's posts

Half way through Shakespeare's Macbeth. =) I'm trying to catch up on my classics.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luna1982. Show luna1982's posts

Currently, I am reading Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex,
    by Mary Roach.  Like all her books,  it is honest, insightful, startling and hilarious.  Who else could write about sexual mishaps, bodily fluids, and dildo-cameras in such an informativite and yet comical way? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joysea. Show joysea's posts

[Quote]I just finished reading "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks.� EXCELLENT![/Quote]

Try "March" by Geraldine Brooks.  Excellent character development.  The book is about the father of the March girls of "Little Women".

I thought it better than  "People of the Book".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joysea. Show joysea's posts

"Dear Hunting with Jesus:  Dispatches from America's Class War" by Joe Bageant

Native son goes back to his working class poor neighborhood in Virginia to explore why the people most victimized by Republican policies vote Republican.  A funnier and more personal "What's the Matter with Kansas".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IHateRonBorges. Show IHateRonBorges's posts

"Bias:  A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News"

Pretty interesting and compelling stuff...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomcat56. Show tomcat56's posts

Can someone explain to me what a 24 year old was doing behind the controls of that fateful train?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teaperson. Show teaperson's posts

[Quote]Try "March" by Geraldine Brooks.  [/Quote]
    I just finished "A Voyage Long and Strange" by her husband, Tony Horwitz.  It's a look at all the explorers and settlers in America before Plymouth Rock.  Not his best book, but interesting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from politicod. Show politicod's posts

I am reading John Quincy Adams by Paul C Nagel. I have been very involved in the campaign so I am catching up. I read John Adams and didn't want to leave the Adams family. They were such an interesting group. JQA was clearly a very bright fellow, and both parents identified him as such very early, but that didn't make life any easier. One of the most interesting things about this book is that it casts his parents in a somewhat different light that McCullough. You get his wife's comments on Abigail and John. Altogher I recomment it highly. JQA was a great public servant and a remarkable intellectual and Nagel sets out a number of intellectual accomplishments which stand to this day. The accomplishments of the Adamses, father and son, are staggering.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[Quote]hello, lookin to join a book club online. miami people seem to find reading boring(*gasp* big surprise *grumble* cant wait to get out of here) people my age, all they do is go clubbing[/Quote]

Have you found goodreads yet? www.goodreads.com

Not exactly a bookclub, but a really good source for finding stuff to read.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.
    Fascinating stuff!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirtywater2005. Show dirtywater2005's posts

I'm reading Too Fat to Fish, The Artie Lange Story. A gripping story of addicition, recovery and frequent lapses that include heroin, food and alcohol abuse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

After a very busy year filled with grad-school-level literature courses, I am now catching up on "my" reading. Shirley Jackson's Hangsaman. Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon (how much suffering do we have to keep hearing about heroine enduring? It's one thing after another. Reads like the author's freshman effort, not the work of an experienced writer.), not a fragment as good as The Lovely Bones. The Road for the umpteenth time (this time in anticipation of the film). Best American This/Best American That. Cormac McCarthy's 1970 Suttree (because I have to read everything by certain authors). Re-reading W.H. Auden, because I'm crushing on a professor who digs him (although my favorite modern poets are Mina Loy and H.D.). Finally got to Russell Banks's The Sweet Hereafter (those looking for clean resolution won't find it). Seamus Heaney's The Cure at Troy.

Those will get me through New Year's Day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from swehter1. Show swehter1's posts

The Kindling of Greenfyr... Fantastic first novel by Mark Freeman. Feed the Fyr... spread the word...