Where do you buy books?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarkTheH. Show HarkTheH's posts

Re: new england mobile bookfair!

[QUOTE]http://www.nebookfair.com the best book place in all of new england!

Posted by govntwrker[/QUOTE]

I AGREE, HANDS DOWN THE BEST BOOKSTORE IN NEW ENGLAND!!!! At 20% off all books you can't beat the price and a huge collection of books as well.  You definitely need to get used to the shelving scheme though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulMc1962. Show PaulMc1962's posts

Re: Where do you buy books?

The Hanover, Mass. public library has a used bookstore downstairs: $2.00 for Hardcover and $1.00 for paperbacks. I have read many books by buying them there and then I recycle by donating them back. There are some decent titles there as well.

I bought a paperback edition of "Predictably Irrational" from Tower.com but it took about 8 weeks to get it, the print was small, and it had a radically different cover than the US version since they bought a UK edition of the book. I would prefer to support the US economy myself. Maybe next time I will try Amazon.com.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichardFWright. Show RichardFWright's posts

Where do you buy books?

I live in a rural part of the state in a village called Jefferson. I prefer to visit rural bookstores such as The Book Bear in West Brookfield to find the Americana and History books I prefer. My favorite 25 bookstores are in my new book and on my website: http://www.GuideToNewEnglandBookstores.com. Unlike these great urban bookstores in the article, my preference is the rural bookstore. Try one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

The Book Rack in Arlington.

Friendly staff, good collection - will order books they do not have in inventory.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I get them from either my Mom, my MIL, or the library.  I used to go to a book swap, and essentially trade in my old books for "new" ones but the selection wasn't that great.  So now the books that I get from my Mom or my MIL, are passed on to friends and I tell them to pass them along or donate them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmocpi. Show mmocpi's posts

Completely agree!
    Diskovery (books and music) is at 569 Washington in Oak Square in the Brighton part of Boston (on the 57 bus). Yolanda runs a great store!! (which was for many years in Allston until high rents forced her out). Give Diskovery your business - you won't regret it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sharonshaloo. Show sharonshaloo's posts

In the Greater Boston area, you hit many of the high points -- but you also forgot Newtonville Bookshop -- a great place with a wonderful reading series, too.  And I wonder... did I see or not see the great Porter Square Bookshop in the pictures?  Hope so! 

Some of my favorite Mass stores outside of Metro Boston -- Edgartown Bookshop (a great supporter of the Martha's Vineyard Book Festival coming up on Aug 2), The Book Rack (in Newburyport ... unrelated to the Book Rack in Arlington -- also a great shop), Tatnuck Bookseller (formerly in Worcester, now in Westborough), Odyssey Bookshop in So Hadley, Broadside Bookshop in Northampton, The Book Store in Lenox, Water Street Books in Williamstown, The Book Mill in Montague, and specialty shops -- such as the great children's bookstores -- Eight Cousins, e.g., in Falmouth, and The Children's Bookshop in Brookline.

I'm leaving out many more of the great shops -- but if you visit http://www.newenglandbooks.org, the site of the New England Independent Booksellers Assn, you'll be able to find a great shop in nearly every community in Mass. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jandrma. Show jandrma's posts

I buy my books at our local Friends of the Franklin Library (FFL) May and October book sales.  I stock up on my favorite authors.  The FFL collects book donations from the library patrons all year and puts on a spectacular sale twice a year with thousands of books/VHS/DVDs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilMeagher. Show PhilMeagher's posts

Re: Where do you buy books? — TRIDENT BOOKSELLERS AND CAFE!

How did the Boston Globe forget Trident Booksellers and Cafe?  That's one of the best indie bookshops in town.  It's located on Newbury Street, has great coffee, and always has tons of new and old texts on sale for cheap cheap.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Luvbooks. Show Luvbooks's posts

I think my local library is my best connection. I buy books VERY Rarely. The library has what I want or they get it for me. Even old favorites that are out of print are no problem and NO COST!!!! Mostly I reserve my books online and I pick them I when I get an email that they are in. People are crazy to spend money on books except for the simply must haves or at gift time and even then I love library book sales. You can get lightly used almost new books for a buck-beat that!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

NEMB was a huge oversight by the Globe, indeed.  I don't know how they sell new, best selling hard covers for so little there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Alibris and abebooks are the finest collections of used books. Most searches should begin at these sites.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gf26. Show gf26's posts

For used books, I go to either Raven Books or downstairs at the Harvard Bookstore; both have a great selection!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Perceptivelistener. Show Perceptivelistener's posts

I don't buy books anymore, instead I trade what I have with what I want on paperbackswap.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradnealk. Show bradnealk's posts

This is an old thread, but let me tell you about a "new" used bookstore in West Roxbury, MA. specializing in sci-fi, fantasy, horror, with a special section on vampires. Also philosophy, comparative religion, psychology, poetry and rare, hard to find and out of print books in those genres.
    Graphic Novels, vintage comics, fantasy art trading cards.
    www.seekbooks.org
    Seek Books
    1747 Centre St.
    West Roxbury, Ma. 02132

617-327-SEEK

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lorinc. Show lorinc's posts

Grolier Poetry Book shop 6 Plympton St Cambridge, MA 02138  http://grolierpoetrybookshop.org/blog2/  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vjq. Show vjq's posts

I'm on both sides of this "fence". I borrow a bunch, I buy a bunch. My favorite place to do both these things is the Brookline Library (361 Washington St. Brookline). There, they have both a quality selection of books to borrow (http://library.minlib.net/search/) and buy (http://friendsofthebrooklinelibrary.org/).
    HARDCOVERS - $1, POCKET PAPERBACKS - 50 cents, CHILDRENS BOOKS - 75 cents, DISCOUNT CART - 25 cents, MAGAZINES - 15 cents/10 for $1.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from danspeers. Show danspeers's posts

Being a writer myself, I usually go the author's own website first to read more about both the author and the book, and to find out what else that particular author has written. Many authors also post their speaking calendars.

--Dan Speers
    www.danspeers.com

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatesNonna. Show KatesNonna's posts

If people don't patronize independent bookstores, they're going to go the way of the mastodon (or the newspaper!). On the South Shore, Buttonwood Books in Cohasset and Westwind Bookstore in Duxbury are independents that are warm and welcoming with terrific, knowledgeable staff. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfBob2. Show ProfBob2's posts

Lots of good free ebooks, from classics to new. Try http://getfreeebooks.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elaine-wong. Show elaine-wong's posts

Although buying from net is convinent, I still want to bookshop. I can enjoy that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiamem. Show kiamem's posts

Park Street Books in Medfield

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from veo. Show veo's posts

The Book Rack in Braintree. Great paperback selection -- great place to browse and buy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Junebuggery. Show Junebuggery's posts

I buy from Brookline Booksmith and Harvard Bookstore.  If I can't find them there, I check out powells.com because they have nearly everything, used and new, and they predate Amazon.com.

Plus it's an actual bookstore rather than a faceless warehouse.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chasmo2. Show Chasmo2's posts

Re: Where do you by books?

I vist Mansfield, Ma about three or four times a year. I'm into reading books on Buddhism, self knowledge, and how humans and other things actually exist. I'd like to find a book store within 20 miles of Mansfield with a good selection of books in the areas mentioned and a price range of $5 to $15.