1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tictoc02026. Show tictoc02026's posts

Re: Which were the best books of the decade?

Going Rogue... by Sarah Palin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelenNM. Show HelenNM's posts

This list is incomplete without including the entirely remarkable ( and deliciously readable) "1491; New revelations of the Americas Before Columbus", by Charles C. Mann.

I have given away more copies of this book than any other, and it has a permanent spot in my library.

If you have not read it...do so, please. You will be the richer for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sm1231. Show sm1231's posts

Snapyernek  wrote : Anything by Lee Child.

Are you talking about the Jack Reacher novels???? Because I could not agree more!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides is one of the best books I've ever read.  It's beautifully written, includes interesting bits of history, and tells a story that is different from anything I've ever read.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DisgustedGuy. Show DisgustedGuy's posts

Not including Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" invalidates the entire list.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sosho. Show sosho's posts

A lot of good books mentioned here.
    A couple good ones from David Mitchell.
    Cloud Atlas
    Black Swan Green

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dnbarbour. Show dnbarbour's posts

In my opinion, the very best novel to come out of the last decade was "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy - so I agree with many of you who also share the same feelings towards this book.  I proudly read it before Oprah "told us to", and found it to be a riveting journey that was part action/adventure, but more fascinating for it's portrayal of a relationship between a father and a son.

I also liked "The Ruins" by Scott Smith, and was completely into the ending (which, as usual, they ruined with the movie.)

My guilty pleasure book was "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown - it did for adult readers what Stephanie Meyer is doing for teen readers with the Twilight Saga.

The one book I could not finish as I found just horrible was "The Resort" by Bentley Little.  The editor(s) who greenlit this piece of trash should have been fired.  There is such a thing as a dumb-fun read (i.e. DaVinci Code), but this was just dumb.  I felt like I was reading a script to a bad horror movie of the week.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult was my favorite book of the decade.  It was my first Picoult and definitely her best. 

I also enjoyed the Phillipa Gregory historical novels. 

I am going to print out the suggestions above and head to the library. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Not sure if the Harry Potter books even belong in this discussion; why not then include comic books and graphic novels?  Popularity does not equal quality.

What a sad attitude.  Just because you didn't like them doesn't mean other people didn't enjoy them.  And frankly, if they got millions of kids to pick up a book instead of a video game controller, then they must have some redeeming qualities. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriendofHoratio. Show FriendofHoratio's posts

In the order they came to mind:

1) Runaway- Alice Munro
    2) White Teeth- Zadie Smith
    3) Anna Karenina- Pevear/Volokhonsky trans.
    4) Old School- Tobias Wolff
    5) The Plot Against America- Philip Roth
    6) Youth- J. M. Coetzee
    7) Atonement- Ian McEwan
    8) The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini
    9) The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century- Alex Ross
    10) Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer- James L. Swanson

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bluedem. Show Bluedem's posts

The one that has stayed with me recently is Sarah Waters' "The Little Stranger."  She perfectly captured post-war England and the story has an intriguing supernatural twist.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elbyw. Show elbyw's posts

the story of lucy gault, william trevor

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ark. Show ark's posts

"Kavalier & Clay" and "Interpreter of Maladies" are two of my favorites as well. However, I would add "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon, "What is the What" by Dave Eggers, and "The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

me talk pretty one day - david sedaris

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Here's my list of ten, inpo:

(Agreed on Eggers' "AHWOSG" and Chabon's "...Kavalier & Clay")
    "The Road" - Cormac McCarthy
    "Consider the Lobster" - David Foster Wallace
    "Outliers" - Malcolm Gladwell
    "The Amber Spyglass" - Philip Pullman
    "Lullaby" - Chuck Palahniuk
    "The Plot Against America" - Philip Roth
    "Empire Falls" - Richard Russo
    The Dark Side" - Jane Mayer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Both my kids and I love the Harry Potter series. I know, a little juvienile, but still, great writing here!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ifeelamazing. Show Ifeelamazing's posts

The Art of Racing in The Rain
    The Kite Runner
    Da Vinci Code
    And all of Jen Lancaster's Books

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series personally, but I have seen more than a few of my friends actually discussing (this) literature with their children as a result of these books. To me, that is nothing short of astounding, no matter what you may think of the stories themselves.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Zaitoun, by Dave Eggers. A heartbreaking look at one N.O. resident's odyssey during Katrina.

The Road, Cormac McCarthy. No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy.

Persepolis. Marjane Satrapi.

Anancy Boys. Neil Gaiman.

Blackbird House, Alice Hoffman.

Too Much Happiness, Alice Munro.

This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War, Drew Faust Gilpin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miumiuhandbag. Show miumiuhandbag's posts

Miumiu handbag

Miu Miu Paris Fashion Week and close the all autumn winter 2010 2011 fashion shows, does not seem true that ended to tell you the truth! Miu Miu As always gives us a really nice parade, as always, the Miu Miu woman, feminine and ultra chic, even in winter, flowers can not fail, applied on clothes, coats, bags and shoes. Miuccia Prada leads a parade on the catwalk-inspired interesting nineteenth-century Neo-Romanticism that has a good recovery is on the catwalk in life.

The parade is Miu Miu declined mostly in dark colors which are, however, interspersed by the occasional fluorescent orange and lavender, offered both in suits, coats, bags and even make-up is really well kept and very obvious integrand becomes part of the collection.

Miu Miu handbags fall winter 2010 2011 collection are very nice, we have simple models in tumbled leather and patent leather, handbags monochrome black, orange and lavender multivitamin.

The decor is glam flower petals made of metal and illuminated by soft, rounded crystals that are present on the bags but as garlands to decorate clothing, coats and shoes.

A young and fresh collection that will surely be appreciated by young and not only!

Miu Miu is a trademark of Italian fashion's amazing, cutting edge and trendy knows how to make us women happy. Today I present you one of my favorite handbags spring summer 2010 Miu Miu is one of the great clutch Cruise made during 2010 that are becoming must-have for all purposes. The Crystal pouch is a really nice bag made of leather with a beautiful ivory handle with jewel precious stones.

The pouch is part of Crystal Spring Summer 2010 collection and is made of soft calf leather ivory color, has closed on the front, in the flap, in which are embedded gemstones always tan, say a glamorous tone caramel.

The Miu Miu bag is pretty and elegant, with the metal handle on which are embedded with precious stones and beautiful light. The hardware is metal argendo color that matches very well with both the ivory skin with the color of the stones.

The Miu Miu handbag has a chocolate brown lining and an internal pocket with zip, measurements are 27 x 13 x 4 cm and the handle measures 22 inches. The price is 610.00 euros.

Exotic luxury handbags are the ultimate choice to complete a perfect and exquisite style for any beautiful and elegant lady. Show your most refined taste and irresistible glamour by wearing a piece of croc kelly,ostrich kelly bags or hermes ostrich bag.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moncler2010. Show moncler2010's posts

-Angels & Demons -

http://www.gucci-online-shop.org

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IngridCa. Show IngridCa's posts

Well honestaly, probaly it's not a popular list right? hihi

Everybody Knows that Mr. Potter has changed this decade ...

Anyway my vote goes to 
    A thousand splendid suns
    After Potter, is my favorite!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

Best books of the decade???....that's easy...."Breakout" by Sgt Martin Russ-USMC

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I saw this post.
    I thought it was a really silly question asked by the BDCAE staff.
    "What are the best books of the decade?" Doesn't it depend on who is reading?
    I did read several of the books mentioned on Nicole Lamy's list - didn't care for most of them.
    I have my own selected authors, and I enjoy reading those. Some of them would not even make someone else's list.
    So, if someone like to read Dr. Seuss - why are we to put them down? As long as you enjoy reading, what you have in your hand - that is what is important.
    Spending time with a book in my hand is one of my most favorite relaxing moments. And if I enjoy the book, I will finish it - but if not? Oh well, not for me. Thanks God for libraries.

Sections
Shortcuts