Who has a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader and do you miss the "real book"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1768206. Show user_1768206's posts

Re: Who has a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader and do you miss the "real book"?

In Response to Who has a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader and do you miss the "real book"?:
    I want a Kindle, but I've met so many anti-Kindle folks...they claim they would miss the pages, the "smell" and "feel" of a book....but ebooks are cheaper, i would think it would do wonders for the environment, and who can deny the less bulk to carry around...I myself always carry at least two books and a dictionary in my bag, that would disappear with the Kindle. I'm curious what others think.
    Posted by JunoRN

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from swampbuggy. Show swampbuggy's posts

I use a Kindle and still buy books. I like the Kindle for travel. It has a built in dictionary. If I get bored with the ebook I can download another in short order from just about anywhere in the US.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Who has a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader and do you miss the "real book"?:
    I want a Kindle, but I've met so many anti-Kindle folks...they claim they would miss the pages, the "smell" and "feel" of a book....but ebooks are cheaper, i would think it would do wonders for the environment, and who can deny the less bulk to carry around...I myself always carry at least two books and a dictionary in my bag, that would disappear with the Kindle. I'm curious what others think.
    Posted by JunoRN

I have a Nook and love it. Download 2-3 books and off I go. I don't miss a book and loosing my place and the bulk of hardcovers since I buy books almost the day they are released. Also I am getting back to some of the classics I had to read in HS and college and they are $.99 as ebooks! Once bought they are in my on-line library for life!!

One issue is lending a book but I can lend an ebook provided the recipient has B&N's ereader on a PC/MAC/iPhone etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I have a kindle and love it...and I was someone who thought I'd miss the feel of a book.  It's been an easy transition for me and much easier to carry in my purse so that I can read during my commute or at lunch on my own.

Loaning or sharing books is the biggest hurdle to overcome, but I was never a big loaner anyway since I hate when people bend the binding or dog ear the pages.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from samanthastevens. Show samanthastevens's posts

I have a kindle and I LOVE it.  I've bought current books for 9.99 each, and have downloaded about 20 classics for free!  I also love that it reads to me when I'm driving.  I've got a pretty impressive collection of real books, but I don't want to get buried in them, the Kindle will hold 1500.  Solves the storage problem for me.  Also - I can adjust the text size so if I'm tired, presto!  Larger print.  It looks just like a printed page but it's so much more portable, and if I tire of a book, I can download a new one in 60 seconds....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I borrowed a co-worker's Kindle to see what it was like and I did not enjoy the experience. 

As far as "e-books" being cheaper than "real books", it takes a lot of paperbacks to re-coup the machine itself.

I am admittedly slow to adopt new technology but I don't foresee buying one until I'm forced to....(like I finally bought a CD player when new music wasn't being released on cassette anymore!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ridley-. Show Ridley-'s posts

I have a Sony and I'd never go back, despite how antagonistic the publishing industry is to ebooks.

I still buy paper books, but only those worth putting on a shelf or those that just wouldn't work on an ereader - graphic novels, cookbooks, unique hardcovers, etc. Otherwise, I don't miss finding shelf space for or holding open mass market or trade paperbacks. Nor do I miss taking up half of my carry-on with books when I travel, or having to get up off the couch and go back to the bookshelf when I decide a book stinks and want to read a new one.

I didn't go ebook to save money. In fact I'd never spent so much on books as I have since buying the reader. I went digital because I'm an enthusiastic genre reader who doesn't have the space for the 3-5 books I read each week and because my weak hands have a hard time holding books open comfortably.

I probably own at least a thousand paper books, published in the 19th c. up through today, and I love old books, but even I think the needing the smell and feel of paper to enjoy reading smacks of fetishism. That's just weird.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scheinman. Show Scheinman's posts

Posted by JunoRN

My wife has the Kindle and really enjoys it - we both read alot and although I prefer the feel of a book, she finds it more convenient as she can have numerous books with her if she goes away on business or on a trip...Plus, the downloading of books takes a minute and they are less expensive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from msms-ns. Show msms-ns's posts

I was a naysayer - the number of books in my house made me realize that a better way to read all those "throw away" novels I was picking up at Costco might be the Kindle.  I LOVE IT!!!!  I even admit that I am having the opposite experience - when I read real books they feel heavy and uncomfortable (I own ~2000 books and read about a book a week...this is a comment from a serious reader....).  My objections to the Kindle are mostly in book selection.  I think of buying Kindle books as I used to think of buying used books - you are lucky to find what you want and sometimes you buy things because they are cheap.  I have been using the Kindle to read a lot of classics (which are free).  I have been particularly disappointed with the selection of nonfiction books (a number of reasonably widely reviewed history books from British authors are unavailable) and the selection of non American fiction.  The built in dictionary is great, as is the bookmarking system.  I would definitely recommend you buy an e reader- easy to carry, great battery life, and does not take up all the space in your house...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

I toy with the idea.  I do like the feel, etc., of books.  But reading an 800 page hardcover on T.Roosevelt on the T while standing up is a pretty obnoxious thing to do.  Good wrist workout, though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miumiuhandbag. Show miumiuhandbag's posts

Miumiu handbag

Miu Miu Paris Fashion Week and close the all autumn winter 2010 2011 fashion shows, does not seem true that ended to tell you the truth! Miu Miu As always gives us a really nice parade, as always, the Miu Miu woman, feminine and ultra chic, even in winter, flowers can not fail, applied on clothes, coats, bags and shoes. Miuccia Prada leads a parade on the catwalk-inspired interesting nineteenth-century Neo-Romanticism that has a good recovery is on the catwalk in life.

The parade is Miu Miu declined mostly in dark colors which are, however, interspersed by the occasional fluorescent orange and lavender, offered both in suits, coats, bags and even make-up is really well kept and very obvious integrand becomes part of the collection.

Miu Miu handbags fall winter 2010 2011 collection are very nice, we have simple models in tumbled leather and patent leather, handbags monochrome black, orange and lavender multivitamin.

The decor is glam flower petals made of metal and illuminated by soft, rounded crystals that are present on the bags but as garlands to decorate clothing, coats and shoes.

A young and fresh collection that will surely be appreciated by young and not only!

Miu Miu is a trademark of Italian fashion's amazing, cutting edge and trendy knows how to make us women happy. Today I present you one of my favorite handbags spring summer 2010 Miu Miu is one of the great clutch Cruise made during 2010 that are becoming must-have for all purposes. The Crystal pouch is a really nice bag made of leather with a beautiful ivory handle with jewel precious stones.

The pouch is part of Crystal Spring Summer 2010 collection and is made of soft calf leather ivory color, has closed on the front, in the flap, in which are embedded gemstones always tan, say a glamorous tone caramel.

The Miu Miu bag is pretty and elegant, with the metal handle on which are embedded with precious stones and beautiful light. The hardware is metal argendo color that matches very well with both the ivory skin with the color of the stones.

The Miu Miu handbag has a chocolate brown lining and an internal pocket with zip, measurements are 27 x 13 x 4 cm and the handle measures 22 inches. The price is 610.00 euros.

Exotic luxury handbags are the ultimate choice to complete a perfect and exquisite style for any beautiful and elegant lady. Show your most refined taste and irresistible glamour by wearing a piece of croc kelly,ostrich kelly bags or hermes ostrich bag.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey9001. Show Joey9001's posts

I plan on getting a kindle for my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan.  That is the only reason.  I feel like I would never use it anywhere else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJ_West. Show CJ_West's posts

I was a naysayer for a long time. I get books for free (for review) and always requested a paperback. I'm hosting a panel discussion on ebooks so I was forced to try reading books on my iPad. I'm hooked.

The publishing industry and especially small bookstores are afraid of ebooks, but if you give an ereader a try (I suggest Kindle) you won't be sorry. Print books present serious problems in selection on store shelves and the cost of returns. Soon the cost of ebooks will really drop. Authors are already publishing ebook exclusives and this will continue.

It is definitely time to try an ereader.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I read about 2 books a week.  I was given a Nook as a gift.  Initially, I wasn't too thrilled.  Now I love it.  I've read about 7 books with the Nook and haven't picked up a hardbacked or paperbacked book since.

Keep in mind that it's an e-reader and not a competitor to the IPad. 

I have a Droid.  At first, I was a little frustrated with the functionality of the Nook - I can do a lot more with my little Droid. But then I got over the fact that the Nook is not a mini-computer.  Since then, I've come to love it.

It's easy to get new books.  I don't have to find space in my bookcase for new books.  It's easy to start a new book.

The one thing I miss is going to a bookstore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJ_West. Show CJ_West's posts

In Response to Re: Who has a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader and do you miss the "real book"?:
    [QUOTE]it's an e-reader and not a competitor to the IPad.  .
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

In the short time I've used the iPad, I've decided that I really like the idea of a dedicated ereader. From what i have heard, the Kindle is much easier to read in sunlight. My iPad is impossible to read outside on a sunny day. As a writer I take books everywhere so this is a must.

CJ

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moncler2010. Show moncler2010's posts

i do think that the downloading of books takes a minute and they are less expensive...

http://www.gucci-online-shop.org

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

I am at about 30 books on the first edition kindle. I still read books but I never buy new hardcovers anymore. The one thing I do miss is the sharing of the books. I cannot share my Kindle books, I can only highly reccomend.

If I am on the road and I finish a book I simply download a new one. Once you turn off the 3g the battery lasts 2 full books of reading.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

DH is a techno freak and so I got him a Nook for Christmas 2009. He loves it. I thought I would always stick to paper books, but he got me the new color Nook for Christmas 2010 and I'm hooked. I love being able to have a book immediately as in the past I bought books via Amazon and had to wait for them in the mail. Also, being able to travel with one book as opposed to dozens (I'm a fast reader) is an added bonus. I have yet to want to read a book and been unable to find it on BN....their selection in my type of reading genre is great (fiction- mainly mystery). The only down side to the color Nook is the battery charge does not last as long as the Nook version 1 (black and white). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I was given a Nook.  I didn't really want it and it took a little while to start using it.   I liked the feel of the book.  But once I started using it, it was no contest.

I love it.  LOVE IT. 

Finish a book - buy another on the spot.  And I no longer have to figure out where to put the book after I'm done with it.

And going on vacation.  We used to take 5 books along with us.  Now, we just take our nooks. 

What I do miss is going to a bookstore.  I like bookstores, browsing through the stacks, asking the staff for recommendations, particularly when it comes to comedies.

And you can't get the author to sign your Nook.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I have a Kindle and I love it.  I've had it since Christmas and it really came in handy on the long flight to Hawaii.