1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Wingnuts by Jon Avlon

I am currently reading this book and I find it very hard to put down.

In the wake of the Tuscon shootings and the Glenn Beck rally in Washington the subject of this book seems right on target. I knew there were alot of crazy people in this country, but after reading about 1/4 of this book , I am finding that there are lots more than the ones we hear about on the news.

Frankly,it's kind of scary. Many of these people are either politically charged with no facts to back up claims, religous fanatics bent on spreading lies or gun carrying psychopaths. But, the real scary thing is there are many people that fall into all three categories.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America by Jon Avlon

The country would be much better off completely discounting the 10% fringe element on the tow extremes.  The best governing happens between the 40 and 60 yard lines.

I hope you realize that the Tucson shooting was devoid of politics as it was more about Fame by Assassination.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America by Jon Avlon:
    [QUOTE]The country would be much better off completely discounting the 10% fringe element on the tow extremes.  The best governing happens between the 40 and 60 yard lines. I hope you realize that the Tucson shooting was devoid of politics as it was more about Fame by Assassination.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

The book was written over a year ago and Gabrielle Giffords name is mentinoed about 35 pages into the book.

I was not making any claims to know what caused the shooter to go ballistic, I was just drawing a parallel to the fact that the post-Tuscon comments by many talking heads on T.V. pointed to the rhetoric of the political extremists as having a fire-stoking effect on unbalaced minds. Since one of the victims, Gabrielle Giffords was holding an event and was the main speaker, I think it safe to say your claim that this was "devoid of politics" is not quite on target.

Politics was involved, possibly not the motivating factor for the killer , but there was politics involved in this incident.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America by Jon Avlon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America by Jon Avlon : The book was written over a year ago and Gabrielle Giffords name is mentinoed about 35 pages into the book. I was not making any claims to know what caused the shooter to go ballistic, I was just drawing a parallel to the fact that the post-Tuscon comments by many talking heads on T.V. pointed to the rhetoric of the political extremists as having a fire-stoking effect on unbalaced minds. Since one of the victims, Gabrielle Giffords was holding an event and was the main speaker, I think it safe to say your claim that this was "devoid of politics" is not quite on target. Politics was involved, possibly not the motivating factor for the killer , but there was politics involved in this incident.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Based on studies of assassins over the past 100 years; Loughner used an elected officials gathering to perpetrate a cowardly act to obtain fame by assassination.  There is nothing that has come out in the press to infer this was a politically motivated act of violence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America by Jon Avlon : Based on studies of assassins over the past 100 years; Loughner used an elected officials gathering to perpetrate a cowardly act to obtain fame by assassination.  There is nothing that has come out in the press to infer this was a politically motivated act of violence.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

"Politically motivated"?  No, it appears not.

But that is not the same as "non-political".  The target herself - plus the setting and the fact that a federal judge was killed - makes it political.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America by Jon Avlon : "Politically motivated"?  No, it appears not. But that is not the same as "non-political".  The target herself - plus the setting and the fact that a federal judge was killed - makes it political.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I think that is what I said.

But you said it briefly and simply. Possibly my post was too wordy for some.

Thanks for reinforcing what I said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Wingnuts by Jon Avlon

In Response to Re: Wingnuts by Jon Avlon:
    [QUOTE]Well see how political it is when all the anti-death penalty democrats don't say a peep as they slide the needle into this lunatic fringer's arm.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Okay, the shooter, Jared Loughner, is not the "lunatic fringer"...he's just a "lunatic."

The lunatic fringe refers to political talk show hosts and extremists like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann,Rush Limbaugh and all the others who incite anger and fear in the public in hope of gaining support by making outrageous accusations, lies and other rhetoric.

The shooter may have been influenced by all this fear mongering as he surely is mentally unstable. Or he may have just picked that particular day to go off the deep end.

I was just alluding to this incident as it is just the type of event that many who detest the rhetoric of the far right extremists have predicted might happen.

At any rate, the book is written by Avlon, who in case you aren't aware worked as a speechwriter for a Republican, Rudy Giuliani. So his knowledge of what he writes is first hand, he is not just some clown who doesn't know what he is speaking about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The problem is always the severely mentally ill, whether they are bipolar, schizo, paranoid, depressed.  Those are the people who are prompted to take action. 

And who knows how those people find their targets. 

But there is no denying that if the Loughner had a gun that was only capable of 6 shots before needing to be manually re,loaded a lot fewer people would have gotten hurt.

It is illegal to have more than 3 shells in a shotgun but there are no limits on how many rounds a clip for a hand gun can hold.

Something like this happens every other year.  A mentally ill person ammos up and goes on a rampage.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Wingnuts by Jon Avlon:
    [QUOTE]The lunatic fringe refers to political talk show hosts and extremists like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann,Rush Limbaugh and all the others who incite anger and fear in the public in hope of gaining support by making outrageous accusations, lies and other rhetoric. ------------------ but not Keith Olbermann, Ed Schultz, Nina Totenberg, Sarah Bernhard, Daily KOS, Democratic Underground, Jill Greenberg, Montel Williams, Alec Baldwin, New Black Panthers, ACORN, SEIU, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson . . . I get it, believe me Look familiar???
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

If I wanted to get into political arguments , I would have gone on another chat room.

I just wanted to comment on what I feel is a very interesting book.

Please do not try to bait me into an argument. As I am now done with this thread, anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I have not read this book, but because I hold your opinion in high regard, most Honorable Lizard, I will look for it and give it a read.