Best holiday movies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DONNAMOMOF7. Show DONNAMOMOF7's posts

Re: Best holiday movies?

In Response to Re: Best holiday movies?:
    [QUOTE]ok ok ok......we have been forced to call the season, the holiday season however these "holiday" movies are actually Christmas movies.  So what is the big deal? 
    Posted by boston234[/QUOTE]

did you read the list???  some of them are hanakkah movies too.  yes most are Christmas movies....but HOLIDAY is the fair way of saying they are not all Christmas movies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

OK, so I might deserve to be called a philistine, but...

...I never really cared for "A Christmas Story".

Mildly amusing, but otherwise overrated, IMNSHO....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from countryboy1. Show countryboy1's posts

Without question, my favorite is "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and the best performance, though quite 'dark' is the one starring English actors Alistair Sim and Patrick MacNee. Watch it every year on Christmas Eve.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3-1415926535. Show 3-1415926535's posts

We're No Angels (Humphrey Bogart)
    Bishop's Wife
    Bell, Book and Candle
    Christmas Story
    Christmas Vacation

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Normally I hate the whole PC liberal "holiday tree" crap etc,
    Posted by UnplugYourselfFromTheMatrix[/QUOTE]

I think the phrase you were looking for was...."Bah Humbug!"   Laughing

P.S.  I agree with your list

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Christmas Story (purchased a Daisy Red Rider for my Son this X Mas)
    Four Christmases
    The Year Without a Santa Clause
    Elf (Buddy the Elf, What's your favorite color?)
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Bad Santa
    The Grinch w/ Jim Carey...cartoon too
    Christmas Vacation
    The Polar Express
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    and one of the BEST.....
    Saturday Night Live Christmas....Dysfunctional Family Christmas skit..always brings my laughter to tears!  Hanukah Harry is classic too!

watch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-JjME-XuGE&feature=related

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The Christmas movies/specials I always try to catch are..

A Christmas Story ( I am the only one in my circle who likes this movie ..)
    Charlie Brown Christmas ( my all time favorite)
    Rudolph
    Home Alone
    It's A Wonderful Life

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Play the song.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
    You really are a heel.
    You're as cuddly as a cactus,
    You're as charming as an eel.
    Mr. Grinch.

You're a bad banana
    With a greasy black peel.

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
    Your heart's an empty hole.
    Your brain is full of spiders,
    You've got garlic in your soul.
    Mr. Grinch.

I wouldn't touch you, with a
    thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch.
    You have termites in your smile.
    You have all the tender sweetness
    Of a seasick crocodile.
    Mr. Grinch.

Given the choice between the two of you
    I'd take the seasick crockodile.

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch.
    You're a nasty, wasty skunk.
    Your heart is full of unwashed socks
    Your soul is full of gunk.
    Mr. Grinch.

The three words that best describe you, are as follows, and I quote:

You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch.
    You're the king of sinful sots.
    Your heart's a dead tomato splotched
    With moldy purple spots,
    Mr. Grinch.

Your soul is an apalling dump heap overflowing
    with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable
    rubbish imaginable,
    Mangled up in tangled up knots.

You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch.
    With a nauseaus super-naus.
    You're a crooked jerky jockey
    And you drive a crooked hoss.
    Mr. Grinch.

You're a three decker saurkraut and toadstool sandwich
    With arsenic sauce!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

A Christmas Story is a definite but I'm also partial to Gremlins.
     And in keeping with the disfunctinal Christmas story, how can you forget Better Off Dead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Play the song. You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. You really are a heel. You're as cuddly as a cactus, You're as charming as an eel. Mr. Grinch. You're a bad banana With a greasy black peel. You're a monster, Mr. Grinch. Your heart's an empty hole. Your brain is full of spiders, You've got garlic in your soul. Mr. Grinch. I wouldn't touch you, with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole. You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch. You have termites in your smile. You have all the tender sweetness Of a seasick crocodile. Mr. Grinch. Given the choice between the two of you I'd take the seasick crockodile. You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch. You're a nasty, wasty skunk. Your heart is full of unwashed socks Your soul is full of gunk. Mr. Grinch. The three words that best describe you, are as follows, and I quote: You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch. You're the king of sinful sots. Your heart's a dead tomato splotched With moldy purple spots, Mr. Grinch. Your soul is an apalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, Mangled up in tangled up knots. You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch. With a nauseaus super-naus. You're a crooked jerky jockey And you drive a crooked hoss. Mr. Grinch. You're a three decker saurkraut and toadstool sandwich With arsenic sauce!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

wow..that really is a rather unpleasant song..isn't it.? Too funny..every time I hear that song it reminds me of one particular person..a woman I have known for over 20 years who is the embodiment of that song..
    I love Dr. Suess..but not the Christmas special. Hard hearts can't be softened..at least not really.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best holiday movies? : wow..that really is a rather unpleasant song..isn't it.? Too funny..every time I hear that song it reminds me of one particular person..a woman I have known for over 20 years who is the embodiment of that song.. I love Dr. Suess..but not the Christmas special. Hard hearts can't be softened..at least not really.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

Wow! It reminds you of someone? It just makes me think of politicians....Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best holiday movies? : Wow! It reminds you of someone? It just makes me think of politicians....
    lol..I know...scary and I could share things that you would find completely unbelievable..lol! I used to have to see this woman on a fairly regular basis...thankfully..now I only have to see or deal with her once or twice a year. The funniest thing is..I always kept my opinion of her to myself..for diplomatic reasons..but in the last couple of years..people..and literally everyone we know in common have confided in me what an awful person they think she is. At least I know it's not just me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best holiday movies? : lol..I know...scary and I could share things that you would find completely unbelievable..lol! I used to have to see this woman on a fairly regular basis...thankfully..now I only have to see or deal with her once or twice a year. The funniest thing is..I always kept my opinion of her to myself..for diplomatic reasons..but in the last couple of years..people..and literally everyone we know in common have confided in me what an awful person they think she is. At least I know it's not just me.

Yeah, I realised it wasn't just me when my sister's neighbor's - yes PLURAL! - bailed on her too! for being such a be a itch! Her daughter even TWEET'S about it! pretty sad I know, but I also know it's not just me being over sensitive!  Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best holiday movies? : Yeah, I realised it wasn't just me when my sister's neighbor's - yes PLURAL! - bailed on her too! for being such a be a itch! Her daughter even TWEET'S about it! pretty sad I know, but I also know it's not just me being over sensitive! 
    Wow..that is pretty sad..lol..and tweets about it..? That is the definition of immaturity.
    On the other hand..it feels somewhat satisfying when your instincts are validated...that's what I try to take away from the situation..hope the same is true for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best holiday movies? : Wow..that is pretty sad..lol..and tweets about it..? That is the definition of immaturity. On the other hand..it feels somewhat satisfying when your instincts are validated...that's what I try to take away from the situation..hope the same is true for you.

Yeah, the daughter TWEET's but, you have to understand a couple of points (1) she's an immature teen and (2) her mother (my sister) doesn't hesitate to yell at one of her four kid's for 30 minutes for eating "one" - YES 1! - m&m before breakfast! My sister has "created" a crazy world for her kid's...

I suppose that's why I enjoy the Saturday Night Live Skit I mentioned - The Dysfunctional Family Christmas!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

RT,

Sounds like an abuse situation going on there. Any chance for an intervention?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

When it comes to people, sometimes you can't fix "broke"....

I suppose that's why I enjoy the Saturday Night Live Skit I mentioned - The Dysfunctional Family Christmas!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

RT..Sorry I missed the "daughter" part..so I guess the tweeting is a bit more understandable..lol..

You are right when you say sometimes you can't fix "broke". In general really..you can't change another person..it's something only they can do. I am going to have to check out the SNL skit..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rspill. Show rspill's posts

It's a Wonderful Life
    A Christmas Carole
    White Christmas

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubsc. Show bubsc's posts

Has anybody seen the 1949 movie Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh?  A very underrated film.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shar0ney. Show Shar0ney's posts

"A Christmas Carol" -- George C. Scott version. Scott manages to avoid all the caricatures that have encrusted almost every depiction of the character of Scrooge. In Scott's interpretation, he is a cynical, sour businessman who is satisfied that he knows how the world works better than others (as opposed to a hand-rubbing melodramatic villain), and who sees his pecuniousness as thrift--and payback for the cruelties and disappointments he himself experienced--and his cruel remarks as snarky, incisive observations (watch for how he says "Are there no prisons? No workhouses?"). His returning to humanity is done incrementally, without histrionics. And David Warner is a perfect foil for him as Cratchit.

"A Christmas Without Snow"--How is this one missing from the list? Anyone who has ever sung in a volunteer church choir has met every character in this story at one point or another. Michael Learned glows as a newly-divorced woman who moves to San Francisco for a fresh start and John Housman is wonderful as the exacting, cranky choir director. His molding of a disparate group of varying musical skill levels into a whole is accurately portrayed and utterly believable. Watch for his talk to the choir about the deriviation of the word "amateur." 

"A Christmas Story"--Jean Shepherd. Enough said. 

"The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Kosnowski"--more Jean Shepherd. It's Thanksgiving, and Ralphie is now a high-school student who develops a crush on the exotic Polish girl who just moved in next door. But he hasn't counted on her two beefy athlete brothers or her family's quest to see her safely married. Meanwhile, Ralphie's father obsesses over a car at Friendly Fred's Used Car Lot. Hilarity ensuse. Trivia: The opening of the movie features Shepherd and I believe it was filmed at the old Orson Welles Cinema in Cambridge.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas"--I don't need to repeat the praise this film has received here and elsewhere except to add that the music is what makes this cartoon feature for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohhboyy. Show ohhboyy's posts

Moonstruck

How did Hugh Grant make 2 Christmas movies?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1887929344/tt0096061

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohhboyy. Show ohhboyy's posts

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7mldu.JOVnsALlxXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701&p=moonstruck+movie&rs=1&fr2=rs-top

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nufced. Show nufced's posts

In Response to Best holiday movies?:
    [QUOTE]What movies will you be watching this holiday season? Are there any that you watch year after year? Tell us about it!
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

How could you idiots forget Miracle on 34th St in your Top 50....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from erfer007. Show erfer007's posts

My anxiety dream used to be that I hadn't watched all of my top Christmas movies by Christmas day... Yes, I'm a little OCD about Christmas movies. SmileHere's my "must-watch" list:

It's a Wonderful Life (my favorite!)
    White Christmas
    Charlie Brown Christmas
    Muppet Family Christmas (note: different from Muppet Christmas Carol)
    Scrooged
    A Christmas Story
    One Magic Christmas
    The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
    Home Alone 
    Elf
    The Night They Saved Christmas (stars Jaclyn Smith. So bad, it's good!)
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation