1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Can Some Explain the Appeal of "The Princess Bride"

I just finished watching it for maybe the 30th time. I have heard and been part of  conversations with people of every possible income level, age bracket, intelligence level, etc. and have yet to hear one person say anything bad about it. My favorite movies are Hard Days Night, Help, Godfather, Highlander, The Crow, Goodfellas, etc. Princess Bride comes nowhere near any of them in any form. And yet I still cannot walk away from the TV when it is on.

Can someone please tell me why? I don't understand.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Can Some Explain the Appeal of "The Princess Bride"

After picking my brain for hours all I could come up with, it's the only film that stars Andre the Giant or the use of R.O.U.S.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

It seems like it's a kid's movie, but it has high-level dialogue for adults with a sly sense of humor - one that's fun for kids, but one that adults "get".

It's got Columbo.  :-)  And a young Fred Savage.  And Inigo Montoya.  And inconCEIVable! Wallace Shawn.  And Andre the Giant.

What more could you want?  ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Cary Elwes.  He sucked me into that movie at 13, and I imprinted on it like a baby duck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I just have to ask if you tend to be drunk when you watch it?  That's the only explanation I can come up with.  Take 3 aspirin and sleep it off, buddy.    A tune-up at a therapist's office never hurt, either.  One to two sessions and you'll be back to your old self in no time.     

Stick with RnR.   Movies will burn out your brain.  Laughing

PS J/K.  Even if you do watch the PB over and over, I will still luv you. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

That is the whole point - I can be straight as an arrow or tipsy on wine. If I see the movie on the screen, I will stop and sit. And I guarantee that when the movie ends, I will be smiling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: Can Some Explain the Appeal of "The Princess Bride":
    That is the whole point - I can be straight as an arrow or tipsy on wine. If I see the movie on the screen, I will stop and sit. And I guarantee that when the movie ends, I will be smiling.
    Posted by jesseyeric

OK, now I'm thinking there are subliminal messages the movie is implanting in us. They're making us into PB pod people?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

and come on,  can you honestly tell me you don't mist up a bit when he asks grand-dad to come back tomorrow and read it again

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

It just means you're mostly dead.

I hope you weren't expecting "As you wish."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I read the book two or three times when it came out years ago and liked to compare it with Candide.  Never-mind Candide, the story mesmerized me! Still have my hardcover copy.  (I actually don't care for the movie because that special something about the book can't be caught on film.)  

Years ago, there was a movie I watched over and over again. But once I achieved what it represented as missing in my life, I set it aside. 

Currently, there's a movie I can watch over and over again because it represents an unfulfilled part of my being.   There's another one, that should it ever be released on dvd, would join the list.  

For all its tongue-in-cheek, whimsy, and fantasy, TPB is about gallantry, being who you are, unconditional love, and justice for all. Cliches yes, but maybe TPB does for you, jess, what "my movies" do/did for me.  

Hope this helps!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thank you Elekktra. Interesting take.

I don't know the answer, but that movie has a complete stranglehold on me and I hate sappy, happily ever after movies. I just don't know why. Maybe it is because of Andre the Giant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Another one that gets me in a sappy way is "To Sir, With Love"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

This movie has it all, swords, a giant, revenge, a battle wits to the death, a comeback from death, pirates, killer eels, ROUS, and ofcourse true love....

If it had nude scene it might be perfect.  LOL

Hello my name is Ingio Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Yah, but I don't think I'm ready to see Andre the Giant nude.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I'd have to agree with Diamond Girl--Cary Elwes.  Sigh....

Beyond that it's funny, sweet, silly, well written and well acted. And so quotable.  Leave us not forget the Impressive Clergyman "Twue Wuv is what bwings us togever today", Prince Humperdink, Miracle Max....

That said, there are "cult" movies or popular TV shows I don't care for, to each their own.  If you describe a Seinfeld episode to me, I'll think it sounds funny.  Make me sit and watch it and I want to run screaming to another room without these 40 something whiners!

Time to work and fight with the ROUS.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The shortest answer is that the Princess Bride works as straight romantic fantasy/adventure, while at the same time making fun of itself.

Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin, in particular, carry off the deadpan satire perfectly.

Read the original by William Goldman sometime.

It's beyond brilliant.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcr400m. Show dcr400m's posts

It seems like it's a kid's movie, but it has high-level dialogue for adults with a sly sense of humor - one that's fun for kids, but one that adults "get". It's got Columbo.  :-)  And a young Fred Savage.  And Inigo Montoya.  And inconCEIVable! Wallace Shawn.  And Andre the Giant. What more could you want?  ;-)
    Posted by LWhitt58

i have to agree....its a more intelligent Shrek but its a biting wit and yes the characters are out of their normal  typecasting some of the time- Andre the Giant as a mellow but strong  giant, Peter Falk as a calm, warm hearted  Grandfather

Carol Kane as unattactive witch with Billy Crystal.  So funny

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Yah, but I don't think I'm ready to see Andre the Giant nude.
    Posted by jkjband

How 'bout we start with Wallace Shawn and work our way up?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Can Some Explain the Appeal of "The Princess Bride" : How 'bout we start with Wallace Shawn and work our way up?
    Posted by SlimPickensII

That's INCONCEIVABLE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

I probably wouldn't find myself unable to walk away from it.  But I don't really see that there's anything bad to say about it.

It's an action/adventure comedy. The actual adventure story is mainly for kids to enjoy .

But the humor is built around it and I think it's a pretty damn funny movie.  Really enjoy the lead actor's sense of humor (guy with the blond hair; forgetting the name)

Still, Robin Hood: Men in Tights was far funnier.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think the best way to explain it is this:

The plot itself is rather conventional. Hero loses girl, finds girl with bad man, goes on quest to win girl back.

And the twist of Peter Falk "reading" the story to Fred Savage is an interesting twist.

But what makes the movie is the dialogue in each scene. It's witty, funny. There is memorable scene after memorable scene. To some extent, each scene is sort of a mini-play unto itself. And each builds on to each other to the point where it elevates a rather basic plot into a classic movie.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Can Some Explain the Appeal of

39704968i also read the book and it was even funnier...i just think the movie is full of whimsical nonsense and that's why i love it...before even seeing it once, you can predict what's going to happen and still watch intently.  

for christmas i got my father a black tshirt with a hello my name is sticker (actually not a sticker, it's printed on the shirt) that reads

hello, my name is 

inigo montoya

you killed my father

prepare to die

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

the movie has everything: action, romance, humor, and drama.
    and it manages to do all of those things in a really great way, because it is well-written. When it's funny, it's really funny. When it's romantic, it makes you swoon. When it's dramatic, it takes your breath away.

AND- It doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not some big-budget Oscar-worthy spectacle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Can Some Explain the Appeal of "The Princess Bride":
    I just finished watching it for maybe the 30th time. I have heard and been part of  conversations with people of every possible income level, age bracket, intelligence level, etc. and have yet to hear one person say anything bad about it. My favorite movies are Hard Days Night, Help, Godfather, Highlander, The Crow, Goodfellas, etc. Princess Bride comes nowhere near any of them in any form. And yet I still cannot walk away from the TV when it is on. Can someone please tell me why? I don't understand.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Agreed. An average movie otherwise, but with incredibly irresistable appeal. (I guess that makes it good, or at least a Cult classic). Some of the scenes with Shawn Wallace and/or Mandy Patinkin are among the most quotable ever. Also, see my thread about the movie Carlos. Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts