1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Hollywood-ified Dr. Who Movie?

Why not?  If I'm not mistaken, the BBC owns the property and can do as they wish with it.

I was long time fan (more casual these days), and I think younger american viewers would do well to catch on to the travails of The Doctor.  As Yates said, as long as they stay true to the 'british-ness' of the series (and take their time to do it right), they should be fine.

Overall, there are worse source materials for a new hollywood franchise.

Then again, I thought the cancelling of "Firefly" was criminal negligence, so what do I know...??  :P

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Weren't there a couple of Hollywood studios involved in the 1996 movie? That one wasn't horrible and they managed to tie it into the storyline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I've pretty much liked all the doctors, even Paul McGann. My favorite is probably Jon Pertwee. I really liked the back and forth with him, the brigadier and Liz Shaw.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cable2006h. Show cable2006h's posts

I'm a longtime fan of Dr. Who and I shudder to think that Hollywood wants to get its claws on this property! If they do in fact make this a movie franchise they better get it right or it could possibly end up another John Carter and we all know what happened with John Carter! Hollywood needs to come up with an original idea and not recycle/re-do tv shows and movies over and over again!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Hollywood-ified Dr. Who Movie?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hollywood-ified Dr. Who Movie? : Oh I don't think any have failed. Funny you mention Pertwee. Decided to watch his first episode against over the weekend. Pulled it off with quite well. It's interesting watching the old episodes over. I had watched them as a kid - the later ones that came out and others as reruns. And then forgot about it.... ...until last january, when I stumbled on the new series while recuperating from a flue. Decided to give the show a go as an adult. Also, I note that Big Finish has a whole collection of audio-only episodes that BBC allowed them to make. In addition to appearing in the regular series, McGann has 4 'seasons' already out of them. And Tom Baker very recently signed up to do them as well.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]I'm not sure if I like McGann that much, but I have checked out some of big finish's audio episodes and found them to be pretty entertaining listening when I don't feel like listening to music.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

All they have to do is remake the original Dr. Who movie from the 1960s that starred Peter Cushing as Dr. Who, recapped parts of the first season, and introduces the Daleks. It could introduce a generation that didn't see the original series to the basic themes of the show. 

It could easily be a trilogy. Origin / Discovery of the Daleks, Invasion of the Daleks, and an attempt to destroy them like in "Genesis of the Daleks". Why Daleks? You have to have Daleks.Throw in some UNIT and you have a franchise.

Remember, the show was originally supposed to be about historical education; it shifted to pure Sci-Fi becuase the ratings for that kind of show were higher. 

An all British cast is a must (at least for the Doctor and his Companion). It also has to avoid being campy, because the humor has to be organic rather than ironic. 

Everyone's favorite Doctor Who is the first one they saw.   

"'Birth me no Heroes', my father said." Ghanima Atreides [Children of Dune]