1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

RIP Nora Ephron

The world lost a great talent yesterday.Writer and director Nora Ephron passed away yesterday after a battle with leukemia.

Famous for movies such as Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally and Silkwood, Ephron was well known for writing romantic comedies that appealed to smart women. Her female characters were not helpless princesses waiting to be rescued by Mr. Right, but rather, they were smart, savvy women who , like most women, could be vulnerable and tough all at the same time. It's no surprise to me that 3 of her most famous movies starred Meg Ryan as the female lead. Ephron's style seemed tailor made for  Ryan's personality and acting style.

Ephron grew up in the Upper West Side of Manhatten, and her love for her city and her neighborhood is clear in her writing. In movies, no one portrayed a sense of NYC in quite the same romantic spirit. Prior to being a screenwriter and director, Ephron was a popular New York columnist, injecting humor into many topics.

Personally, I think Ephron's shining movie accomplishment was When Harry met Sally. This is a movie I never get tired of watching. It's a movie so many of us can relate to...a reminder that sometimes it is wise to look around you..rather than beyond you..for happiness and love.  As someone who has fallen in love with their best friend..the person who was there..in the background..always making you laugh or lending support..this movie rings very true in my heart and I am sure in the hearts of women ( and men) everywhere.

Besides..the line " I'll have what she's having" is one of the funniest movie lines ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: RIP Nora Ephron

“Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
    Sally Albright: Why not?
    Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
    Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
    Harry Burns: No you don't.
    Sally Albright: Yes I do.
    Harry Burns: No you don't.
    Sally Albright: Yes I do.
    Harry Burns: You only think you do.
    Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
    Sally Albright: They do not.
    Harry Burns: Do too.
    Sally Albright: They do not.
    Harry Burns: Do too.
    Sally Albright: How do you know?
    Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
    Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
    Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
    Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
    Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
    Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
    Harry Burns: I guess not.
    Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.”
    Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally