1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

Re: What is your favorite movie remake?

How can a remake list not include the following:

The Magnificent Seven from Seven Samurai. It launched the stardom of Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Eli Wallach, and Robert Vaugh.

A Fist Full of Dollars from Yojimbo. It launched the stardom of Clint Eastwood, and started the spaghetti western craze.

Kurosawa's originals paid homage to John Ford and to the Westerns genre. Then the West paid homage back to Kurosawa with these remakes. Cross cultural pollination at its best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite movie remake?:
    [QUOTE]Definitely "The Italian Job" One of the best heist movies.
    Posted by TimmytheTank[/QUOTE]

Indeed - the remake was awesome, the original so-so.

Also, True Grit.  Nothing against The Duke (honest!), but this movie was 1000 times better than it was originally (DH and I could only watch 1/2 of the old one after watching the new one...it wasn't nearly as compelling.).  Great flick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Cape Fear 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite movie remake?:
    [QUOTE]Cape Fear  
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]
     come out, come out wherever you are ...
    that was a good remake..........really scary!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress was the inspiration for Star Wars, making Star Wars a remake of it. They have a lot in common - a pair of cowardly comedy-relief servants, a princess that needs rescuing, a young man who learns how to be a warrior, a brave general who holds off the enemy troops so the good guys can escape, a massive camoflauged fortress that will allow the bad guys to defeat the good guys and control the local area...George Lucas had to agree to finance Kurosawa's later film projects to avoid a lawsuit.

Whenever funding dried up or a production went over-budget Akira Kurosawa and his friend / favorite star Toshiro Mifune would go on a fishing trip together. When the Western money came in, they'd go back to work and finish the movie they were working on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

Charlie's Angels. The movies were way better than the show, say what you will about them. I think they were made due to Tatantino's threat to make Fox Force Five, the faux pilot starring Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) from Pulp Fiction, into a real TV show or movie. He, in turn, took his idea and made it into Kill Bill I & II. So even if you hate Charlie's Angels, they led to Kill Bill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

OK, how about His Girl Friday in 1940 with Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, which is better than the 1931 original, The Front Page with Adolph Menjou and Pat O'Brien.

In ranking the movies based on the play, "The Front Page," I'd ranke them:

His Girl Friday (1940)
    The Front Page (1974), Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon.
    Switching Channels (1986) Burt Reynolds, Kathleen Turner, Christopher Reeves (I liked this movie, although I've seen reviews that ripped it apart).
    The Front Page (1931).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LincolnLawyer. Show LincolnLawyer's posts

Thomas Crown Affair