1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Re: Your favorite baseball movies?

I agree with the other posts about sandlot...when they took big chunks of chew and puked on the carnival ride, that brought back so many memories of summer with my buddies playing wiffleball in his back yard EVERY day....we tried skoal and got sick as dogs.  I think Bull Durham is by far and away the best one.....The Natural was awsome too....not realistic, but fun...never really liked field of dreams, thought it was too hoakie.  Fever Pitch was an embarassment as a Red Sox fan...it didnt capture ANY of what we went through as die hard fans growing up, it was all geared towards the "pink hats" to give them a crash coarse on their local team....lame
    I liked a league of their own alot...I am man enough to admit it....best quote ever "there's no crying in baseeeeballll"
    What about bang the drum slowly......that one tugged at the heart strings a little.  Bad news Bears was awsome cuz it came out when I just started T ball and I thought Kelly (the bad boy onthe motorcycle) was the coolest kid ever.  I IDOLIZED anything to do with baseball growing up...complete with the Dwight Evans stance while playing stickball in the rundown sand lot..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

The Fan was pretty good.....they never said it, but tell me Wesley Snipes wasnt supposed to be an arrogant Barry Bonds??
    The Benchwarmers was kind of funny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from batoutofhell. Show batoutofhell's posts

How could you forget "It Happens Every Spring" ??? One of the best of the 50's lot. Also "Angels In The Outfield" (the original not the remake).
    The 50's had some of the best baseball movies. some of the dreck froom more recent years don't even belong on your list of "best".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikewass. Show mikewass's posts

"Jews and Baseball - A Love Story" - this was a recent documentary movie which is of great interest to Jewish fans.........Can anybody tell me how to get a DVD of this film???...It only played for a short time in the South Florida market last month and many fans would like to see it.....It was fabulous.......Mike W.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Maybe I missed it ... I must have missed it ... but I didn't see "The Natural" anywhere. That's most definitely my pick.

Also, I really enjoyed an HBO movie called "Soul of the Game," about the Negro League.

I think the worst ever was the one with Kevin Costner throwing a perfect game ... can't remember the name ... could look it up but wouldn't be worth the time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from littledoug1. Show littledoug1's posts

"Fear Strikes Out" should have been on the list

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paige_turner. Show paige_turner's posts

death on the diamond.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paige_turner. Show paige_turner's posts

also, ken burns documentary on innings, first thru ten, is hard to match!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChicagoMike. Show ChicagoMike's posts

For Love of The Game is great.  Vin Scully makes that movie!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Natural

The score alone by Randy Newman really brings into relief the fabled grandeur and mythology of old-time baseball.  Great cast and performances.  At times funny, heartfelt, nostalgic, romantic and suspenseful, this one has it all...even a "had to see it to believe it" hollywood ending.

Highly recommend the book of the same name by Bernard Malamud, who loosely based it on a true story of an actual player who was indeed shot and attempted a comeback years later.  A much different ending, too.

Many interesting details about this film on the DVD extras, including Redford wearing #9 as tribute to Ted Williams and the Teddy-derived quote, "...the best to ever play the game...".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingo. Show ingo's posts

1. Field of Dreams
    2. Sandlot
    3. Bang the Drum Slowly
    4. Major League

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

1. The Winning Team - Story of Pete (Grover Cleveland) Alexander starring Ronald Reagan
    2. Yours Truly (Alibi Ike) - Starring Joe E. Brown
    3. Elmer the Great - Starring Joe E. Brown
    4. Kill the Umpire - Starring William Bendix

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from volvodriver. Show volvodriver's posts

An awesome movie, never mentioned!!!

I see a list of favorite baseball movies all the time.  Has no one seen Pastime, starring Williamm Russ??  This is far and away, much better than most the movies in this list.

Brian
    Moncton, New Brunswick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfenway. Show soxfenway's posts

An awesome movie

Why isn't Pastime, starring William Russ EVER on a list of good baseball movies?  It's much better than most on this list.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bedlamer. Show bedlamer's posts

Yes it's an old movie in black and white... but if you haven't seen "It Happens Every Spring" - you should !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bedlamer. Show bedlamer's posts

But my favorites are

The Natural ( What a cast !! )

Field of Dreams ( I cry every time )

A Leaugue of Their Own ( great stuff & lotsa laughs )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite baseball movies?:
    In Response to Re: Your favorite baseball movies? : Fever Pitch are you for real that movie was almost as bad as The Babe staring John Goodman, making it one of the worst sports movies ever made. Bull Durham had a lot that was very real in it, Nuke at the end going from single A to the show not being part of it.  Eight man out was very good, as was for the love of the game.
    Posted by shumirules

Fever Pitch was pretty good. I don't think it was a great movie but Ben defintely represented many crazy Red Sox fans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

But my favorites are The Natural ( What a cast !! ) Field of Dreams ( I cry every time ) A Leaugue of Their Own ( great stuff & lotsa laughs )
    Posted by bedlamer

The Natural and Field of Dreams are my two favorites also. Bull Durham is third.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Natural
    Bull Durham
    Major League

I love Major League.  Dorn was great.  Cerrano and Jobu.  It was great stuff

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zz123. Show zz123's posts

I agree with "The Natural" and "Field of Dreams" as top baseball movies.

Also want to add a independent film about a baseball player's journey from a baseball camp in Dominican Republic to the minor leagues called "Sugar".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dynamicdan. Show dynamicdan's posts

one notable baseball comedy missing, Kill the Umpire, with William Bendix who plays an avid fan with a great distate for umpires, but when his job(s) and baseball schedules collide he is forced to become an umpire. Some of the best scenes on Naked Gun were 'borrowed' 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorUpside. Show majorUpside's posts

For me it's The Natural all the way.  Field of Dreams second. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrMikeOB. Show MrMikeOB's posts

my top 5 list:

1. Eight Men Out - Sayles at his best, both behind and in front of the camera; plus, Charlie Sheen is losing!
    2. 61 - even if it is a Yankee flick, still great by a cast of (mostly) unknowns; Barry Pepper excellent a few years later in "Saving Private Ryan"
    3. The Natural - even if the ending gets the Hollywood treatment; also an excellent book
    4. Field of Dreams - even with the lib politics
    5. Bull Durham

was really looking forward to "Fear Strikes Out," very disappointing, cliched, contrived and a wooden performance from Perkins

have yet to see "Bang the Drum Slowly," heard it was very good

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrMikeOB. Show MrMikeOB's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite baseball movies? : Fever Pitch was pretty good. I don't think it was a great movie but Ben defintely represented many crazy Red Sox fans.
    Posted by jaytf25

absolutely agreed on "Fever Pitch," watched just for Sox angle, Jimmy Fallon - who is great on his show - should be embarrased

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Fever Pitch?
    It was 2004 Faulk flipped to first and the Red Sox had just won the World Series.  I literally fell to my knees.  Years of frustration, the burial of my father just one year prior, the thrill, the amazement all cascading over me at the same moment.  Although, I couldn't believe my eyes, my heart soared as the Sox piled onto each other.

But wait, what the fudge are Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon doing out there?  The entire moment almost destroyed.  How could they try to steal my moment, our moment?  Such classlessness, I'll never watch that fudging movie.

Sections
Shortcuts