Your favorite basketball movies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Your favorite basketball movies?

What basketball movies are you watching during the NBA lockout? Check out our list and tell us what you think. Did we miss anything? Which one is best?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Re: Your favorite basketball movies?

Tall Story - Anthony Perkins and Jane Fonda - what a weird combination, as it turns out!!  A college basketball film.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Hoosiers, is there even another one in the running?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msheetoo. Show msheetoo's posts

Hoosiers, without a doubt.  My all-time fave movie anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yerkies. Show yerkies's posts

You're missing "One-on-one" with Robbie Benson. Classic!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDW. Show MDW's posts

Best by far:

Rebound - The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigguy45. Show bigguy45's posts

Semi Pro was great.  Nice spoof of the ABA!  There is a great scene in Blue Chips with Nolte and Cousy in the gym.  Cousy is shooting free throws and he hits like 15 in a row!  Nolte asks Cousy don't you ever miss and Cooz just shrugs his shoulders!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmenihane. Show tmenihane's posts

You forgot about "Fastbreak" with Gabe Kaplan!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not a movie, but "The White Shadow" is classic TV melodrama of a high order.

Also not the whole movie, but the basketball scenes in "Teen Wolf" were hysterical...I mean, Michael J. Fox playing basketball...?!?

Likewise, Billy Crystal's scenes as an NBA Ref (!) in "Forget Paris" were funny.

But yeah, I have to go with Hoosiers (fiction) or Hoop Dreams (doc) as tops here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rich45. Show rich45's posts

Hoop Dreams and Hoosiers. But Fastbreak is a riot!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Blue Chips should rank high if for no other reason than the press conference scene at the end of the movie. Nolte was great in that scene -- one of his best scenes.

(And Bob Cousy was in the movie too.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtubes412. Show mtubes412's posts

Best basketball film is definitely Hoosieers, but the best basketball in a film Blue Chips.  Bobby Hurley playing with Calbert Chaney coached by Bobby Knight in Indiana uniforms.  Unlike so many sports movies where the actual sports are merely secondary to the story, in Blue Chips, there are actual great players playing.  Also, White Men Can't Jump is entertaining.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this one:  Inside Moves  (see my tag line below).   Great movie, one that I've seen maybe 100 times. 

It's not that I'm crazy -- or not just because I'm crazy anyway -- it's that way back when HBO was in its infancy, they only seemed to have 10 movies that they ran and reran and reran and this movie was one of the 10.  I'd never heard of it before, watched it, loved it, and then watched it again and again.

Though, I'll admit it's not really a basketball movie, but it does feature bball and one of the main characters is a former NBA player trying to get back into the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenny-94. Show glenny-94's posts

TeenWolf is an easy number 1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BarryShu. Show BarryShu's posts

"Go, Man, Go" about the early Globetrotters. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere; if someone finds it on either VHS or DVD, please let me and other fans know. There's an iconic scene of either Goose Tatum or Marques Haynes dribbling past a critic in a narrow hotel hallway to prove his skills - magic!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from four-green-fields. Show four-green-fields's posts

I did not see One On One.  Great movie with a Bobby Knight style head coach

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shiprock. Show shiprock's posts

Rocks with Wings is absent from this list.  An African-American coach leads a Navajo Reservation girls team to their first ever state title.  Also a classic.