1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hrdabster. Show hrdabster's posts

Re: Your favorite cult movie?

How is it that Pulp Fiction didn't make the list!

Rocky Horror and Pulp Fiction - hands down!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

My own favorites, some cultish, some less so, but I will watch them everytime I stumble upon them:
    Rocky Horror -- the best
    Hedwig & the Angry Inch
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blue Velvet
    Labyrinth
    Stripes
    Valley Girl
    Breakfast Club
    Last American Virgin
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Young Frankenstein
    Blazing Saddles
    Robin Hood Men in Tights
    Holy Grail and every Python film and episode ever made

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A couple more

Being John Malkovich
    Memento

In Memento the scenes are in backwards order.  The protagonist's wife has been killed and he's trying to figure out what happened.  And he keeps losing his memory after short periods of remembering so he has to make reminders for himself.  Hard on the head but pretty well done. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brokenbil. Show brokenbil's posts

I'm a fan of a number of the movies mentioned here -- Harold & Maude, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Repo Man, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The In-Laws (original), Brazil, Blue Velvet. 

A few other cult films not listed:

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
    Angel Heart
    Five Deadly Venoms
    The Gods Must Be Crazy
    The Harder They Come
    Heathers
    Heavy Metal
    Reefer Madness
    The Room
    Scarface
    The Toxic Avenger

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Angel Heart creeped me out real good.  Heavy Metal was great the first time I saw it.  I thought Scarface had some good shock value, but ended up as an ultraviolent cartoon.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

David Lynch with Laura Harring and Naomi Watts 

'You know, being a director of really weird films is not such a bad gig.'

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheScareAlsoCrows. Show TheScareAlsoCrows's posts

Dune and Highlander.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pottlukk. Show pottlukk's posts

Donnie Darko

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibby1965. Show gibby1965's posts

Its gotta be Rock and Roll High School. Come on, Ramones, PJ Soles and of course Clint Howard. The definition of great cult movie!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjstaples. Show cjstaples's posts

Notable omissions:  Holy Grail, Pulp Fiction, The Road Warrior.

"The Goonies" ?  Please - I don't think so.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mule17. Show mule17's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite cult movie?:
    [QUOTE]Urgh! A Music War
    Posted by Rittyg[/QUOTE]
    i con cur

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from askmeanything. Show askmeanything's posts

American Psycho ---there is no question

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TransitFan. Show TransitFan's posts

Labrynth, I guess.
    Unless Dr. Strangelove counts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

The Jerk

Take The Money And Run (Woody Allen)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jomama1364. Show jomama1364's posts

I would expect:

A Clockwork Orange
      Monty Python and The Holy Grail
      A Christmas story (maybe)
      Dr. Strangelove

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ruby1927. Show Ruby1927's posts

I agree with Rocky Horror being the best cult classic.
    Love the interactive show in Cambridge.
    My favorite would have to be "Logan's Run" from 1976.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Crow

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Count me in for Repo Man. It's hilarious.

I love the Repo Man's Code.

'I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let the personal contents thereof come to harm' It's what I call the Repo Code, kid!"

"It helps if you dress like a detective. Detectives dress kinda square. If you look like a detective people are gonna think you’re packing something."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

There was only one Anime / Animated film listed:
    Akira is overrated as an anime film. It's too crowded a plot to really enjoy. Most people love it for the bike fight sequences in the beginning.

Ghost in the Shell - Focused on the subject of personality - are we just a box of images and memories, or is there a divine spark that makes us special: a "ghost" inside us. Inspired a sequel and two spin-off prequel TV series.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - Focused on illusion versus reality. If reality can be completely simulated, then how do we know what is "real"? Set several years after the events in the first movie.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - The crew of the Bebop must stop a soldier-turned-terrorist who has a score to settle.  A must-see for the opening "Ask DNA" animated music video by Seatbelts in the beginning. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

Honorable  mention:

Death Race 2000 - Vehicular homicide is America's new national sport in a future decadent police state. Death Race was a gritty remake without the cultural and political satire. One of Sylvester Stallone's first movies.  

Forbidden Zone - Starring jugglers-turned-New-Wave-band  'The Knights of the Ancient Order of Oingo-Boingo', guest-starring future composer Danny Elfman (the brother of the band's founder and a key member) as Satan. A colorized version is now available on DVD.

The Hidden - Kyle McLachlan plays a weird FBI agent following a violent fugitive and Michael Nouri plays an LAPD detective assigned to help him. The two must join forces to stop an apparent sleeper cell of psychotic spree-killers posing as ordinary law-abiding citizens. 

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn -So good they made it in stunning 3-D.

Mister Mike's Mondo Video Show - See Dan Ackroyd's webbed toes! Written by the former first head writer for Saturday Night Live. Has several of SNL's "not-ready-for-prime-time-players" in cameo roles.

Night of the Comet - Red dust from a near-Earth comet's trail turns exposed humans into violent mutants.

Nomads - The plot is told in psychic flashbacks experienced by a female ER doctor after she treats a mortally-wounded man just before his death. The deceased (played by Pierce Brosnan), was a restless French anthropologist specializing in nomadic cultures. Adam Ant and his friends are urban nomads he tries to study.  

Outland - High Noon in space. Stars Sean Connery as a US marshall at a mining colony trying to shut down a drug ring ('nuff said).

Scanners - People turned into psychic mutants by an experimental drug try to take over humanity. 

Seven Black Notes (AKA "The Psychic") - A model whose mother was brutallly murdered has vivid dreams about her mother's death. Considered one the best of the Italian "Giallo" horror films. The main motif from the film was used in Kill Bill I when The Bride waits behind the door to ambush Buck. 

She - This version from the 1980s starring Sandahl Bergmann has little to do with the H. Rider Haggard novel. Describing it is like a Stephon sketch from SNL: "It has everything... Amazon warriors, mutant mummies with Raybans and chainsaws, a gauntlet of purity...

Warriors of the Wasteland - Stars Patrick Swazey as a wasteland barbarian.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Repo Man
    Wild At Heart
    Blue Velvet
    Rivers Edge
    Big Lebowski
    Rude Boy

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's not number one by any means and probably shouldn't have even made the list, but I personally like Heathers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

Monty Python
    Caddyshack

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

I can't believe Ralph Bakshi isn't on the list.

Coon - Protests pulled it from theaters for racist content. Nobody will ever release it to DVD / Blu-Ray because of the controversy.  But it is the only animated film about inner city life to have an all-black cast.

Fire and Ice - Frank Frazetta and Ralph Bakshi collaborated on this poorly-voice-acted (the physical models used for the kinetic animation sequences did their own voices) but well-animated film.

Fritz The Cat - R. Crumb's X-rated anthropomorphic feline brought to the silver screen.

Lord of the Rings - Bakshi's animated version was the best Tolkein fans could do until Jackson's CGI extravaganza. A Rankin-Bass version of "Return of the King" trumped Bakshi's proposed sequel.  

Wizards - A retread of his Lord of the Rings set in a post-apocalyptic world.     

Also missing:
    Heavy Metal -Cutting-edge animation with a killer soundtrack tailored to the movie. The "Tarna" sequence is legendary. South Park had an episode ("Awesome B***age") that made an excellent parody of its major segments.

Sections
Shortcuts