1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Your favorite/least favorite movie remakes?

So far, 2011 has been the year of the remake, with films like "Arthur," "Fright Night," and "Conan the Barbarian" all getting updates. Now, October sees the release of a new version of "Footloose."

Which movie remakes are better than the original? Which should never have been made? And just in case Hollywood is planning to revamp more classics, which movies do you hope never get remade? Vote on our list and tell us what you think!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparklebugfly. Show sparklebugfly's posts

Re: Your favorite/least favorite movie remakes?

War of the Worlds=worst

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I liked the original "Alfie" with Michael Caine and Shelley Winters ... but I didn't care for the remake a few years ago,  I can't even remember who was in it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I liked the newer version of Disturbia a few years back. 

Although I did see the new version of Stepford Wives and liked it, I haven't seen the original so I can't say which is better.

Manchurian Candidate is probably the toughest one to judge. Straight up, you have to give it up to the original, but considering the difference in time frames (the original plot would not work in today's work and vice versa) you could not make the same movie as the original.
     I would say, for the time it was made, the new version makes sense and works, but you can't beat Franky on stage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Two that come to mind that were bad and totally unneeded remakes are Psycho and Planet of the Apes.

Straw Dogs was remade and came out a few weeks ago also seems pointless.
    I heard at one point that they were going to remake the Wild Bunch but they seem to have thought better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bimmergal. Show bimmergal's posts

"The Longest Yard" remake was unecessary and the "Death at a Funeral" was also. There is no point to remaking "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" except that American audiences can't seem to follow subtituled films-too bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TigerLilith. Show TigerLilith's posts

Favorite is The Thing remake with Kurt Russell. A re-remake is due out soon. Looks good.

3:10 to Yuma with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale was also a good remake, if a bit too techno with special efffects.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dehumanist. Show Dehumanist's posts

Some of the ones I can think of:

War Of the Worlds
    Rollerball
    Halloween
    Planet of the Apes (I agree with your there!)
    Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (would have been better without the back story)
    The Thing (you can't get better than Kurt Russell!!), prequel or not, unnecessary
    I think there was some Harrison Ford movie that was a 60's remake of a Hepburn film too...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

How can a remake list not include the following:

The Magnificent Seven from Seven Samurai. It launched the stardom of Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Eli Wallach, and Robert Vaugh.

A Fist Full of Dollars from Yojimbo. It launched the stardom of Clint Eastwood, and started the spaghetti western craze.

Kurosawa's originals paid homage to John Ford and to the Westerns genre. Then the West paid homage back to Kurosawa with these remakes. Cross cultural pollination at its best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TigerLilith. Show TigerLilith's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite/least favorite movie remakes?:
    Some of the ones I can think of: War Of the Worlds Rollerball Halloween Planet of the Apes (I agree with your there!) Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (would have been better without the back story) The Thing (you can't get better than Kurt Russell!!), prequel or not, unnecessary I think there was some Harrison Ford movie that was a 60's remake of a Hepburn film too...
    Posted by Dehumanist

You are  thinking of Sabrina with Humphrey Bogart, William Holden and Audrey Hepbrurn

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TigerLilith. Show TigerLilith's posts

Another favorite remake; Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Donald Sutherland version.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from humble1. Show humble1's posts

One of the best  Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    One of the worst  The Haunting

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I liked both the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning....deeper stories and more graphic gore!

There is no movie worth remaking if you think about it.  If it was a great movie, you can't make it better. And if it was a crap movie, why would a studio pay money for a re-dux?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I never saw it (and hopefully you didn't either), but whoever decided to remake The In Laws with Michael Douglas and whoever else was in that should be drug out and soundly beaten.

The original with Peter Falk and Alan Arking might possibly be the funniest thing on film that doesn't feature a large wooden rabbit.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I liked both Let The Right One In and its American remake Let Me In, the latter of which amped up the gore considerably.

But this is a canard based on the fact that the source material was so strong and truly informed the remake.  Not sure it would work as well in reverse....

I'm eagerly looking forward to Fincher's take on TGWTDT....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N1k. Show N1k's posts

The 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, with Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum, and Brooke Adams, is better than the original 50's version of the version of a few years ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Western Remakes are the best, period:
    3:10 to Yuma
    True Grit

Cant speak to Departed because I haven't scene the original.

Bad remakes- well Dances with Wolves has been remade how many times now? Into The Last Samuri, Avater and probably a couple others I can't think of....

Of all of those.... yeah nothing will ever top Costner's best film and one of my favorites of all time.

Sections
Shortcuts