1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: Your favorite romantic movies?

Scrolling through, I was surprised that "Say Anything" isn't mentioned much.  A young John Cusack, Ione Skye (were'd she go) and the guy who played Frazier's dad - all outstanding.  Thought it was going to be a typical teen-romance-comedy type of flick and was pleasantly surprised to see a funny, witty, intelligent film.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

There's few that weren't mentioned but I have always loved, Spanglish, Frankie and Johnny , and The Majestic.

Matty- Jaws??? geesh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5thtry. Show 5thtry's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite romantic movies?:
    How anyone could leave out Somewhere In Time is beyond me.
    Posted by mmsuki

falling in love w DeNiro & Streep.  you could just feel the angst that each of them had because they were married and falling in love.  great, great  love story.

and

coming home w jane fonda & jon voight

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KFQuilter. Show KFQuilter's posts

What about "Moonstruck"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbartoli. Show sbartoli's posts

I am just surprised you didn't post the Top 50 Scary Movies of all time list again.  You're slippin Globe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Temporarily. Show Temporarily's posts

Casablanca!  I was scrolling through the movies and thought - where is it, when I was on #3.  And there it was #1 as it should be!  Just brilliant in every way. There could be no greater romance in my view. In fact I may just have to watch it tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Temporarily. Show Temporarily's posts

Yes - someone just mentioned Dr Zhivago - excellent as well, should be in the top 25.  The ending is just brutal... if you haven't seen it. Outstanding movie, the characters are amazing!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pessimist. Show pessimist's posts

- Certainly "Sleepless in Seattle" belongs high on the list, along with "Love Story."
    Didn't anyone see "Fanny" or "Umbrellas of Cherbourg?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 071484. Show 071484's posts

An Officer and a Gentleman

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDtoMA. Show MDtoMA's posts

what about (500) Days of Summer?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oeidde. Show oeidde's posts

Roman Holiday, Somewhere in Time and a little-known 1927 silent movie that is one of the most romantic movies of all time: Sunrise. (You can see it on YouTube, but not quite the same as seeing it in an old movie house with live accompaniment.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Atonement

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fredpartyoffour. Show fredpartyoffour's posts

Ghost

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebor33. Show trebor33's posts

Three of my favorites that were either on the list or mentioned by others in the comments: Say Anything, Cinema Paradiso, and On Golden Pond.

Two more that haven't been mentioned:

1. Up: The wordless montage near the beginning of the film is not only one of my favorite romantic moments but simply one of my favorite moments in film period. The first time I saw it was so emotionally overwhelming I had to stop the movie for a few minutes, stopped in my tracks by such a perfect moment. In just a few short minutes you see Carl and Ellie's entire lives together perfectly capturing the love they felt for each other. The image of the balloon floating into Ellie's hospital room and view of Carl sitting alone surrounded by balloons in the church where they were married was absolutely heartbreaking.

2. Almost Famous: This movie is a perfect portrait of what it feels like falling in love for the first time. I loved the scene at the airport where Penny is on the plane and suddenly remembers William kissing her before she passed out in the hotel room, placing her hand against the window as William runs alongside the plane in the terminal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red22. Show red22's posts

In Response to Your favorite romantic movies?:
    We've compiled our list of the top 25 most romantic movies . Now it's your turn. What are you favorite romantic movies? If you could grow the list, what would you put there?  Join the discussion below and talk about your favorite romantic movies.
    Posted by ncammorata

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red22. Show red22's posts

You forgot, Message in a Bottle.  Who can't say a movie with both Paul Newman and Kevin Costner isn't romantic.  There are said parts but it is still by far romantic

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from uniquecookie. Show uniquecookie's posts

Where were Before Sunrise/Before Sunset?!  Waaaaay more romantic than movies like Ever After.
    Posted by Sapphira

I AGREE!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sanderling. Show Sanderling's posts

I am with GGallagher - Sleepless in Seattle does it for me every time.  You even get the added benefit of an "An Affair to Remember" reference which is hysterical.  I think I would also add Pretty Woman to the list.
    Posted by Gatorgal

You and GGallager are so right.  Sleepless is the best romantic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wllm. Show wllm's posts

Okay, I know this is one few will get - Black Orpheus, which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film back in 1959. In this re-telling of the Orpheus story set during carnival in Rio, the engaged streetcar conductor, Orpheus, meets and falls in love with country girl Eurydice, protecting her from a masked figure known only as "Death." He even descends into Hades to rescue her! All of this set in the favelas and streets of Rio to an incredible samba beat. It made me fall in love twice - with the movie, and also with Rio at carnival.
    Posted by nancysyd

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from altrock1903. Show altrock1903's posts

Okay, I know this is one few will get - Black Orpheus, which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film back in 1959. In this re-telling of the Orpheus story set during carnival in Rio, the engaged streetcar conductor, Orpheus, meets and falls in love with country girl Eurydice, protecting her from a masked figure known only as "Death." He even descends into Hades to rescue her! All of this set in the favelas and streets of Rio to an incredible samba beat. It made me fall in love twice - with the movie, and also with Rio at carnival.
    Posted by nancysyd

i love this move. i saw it in a art house theather in the mid sixties and have loved it ever since. i bought the vhs version(not an easy feat), then found it on dvd. great movie!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from altrock1903. Show altrock1903's posts

- Certainly "Sleepless in Seattle" belongs high on the list, along with "Love Story." Didn't anyone see "Fanny" or "Umbrellas of Cherbourg?"
    Posted by pessimist

didn't like ''fanny'' but ''umbrellas of cherbourg'' was great. a twenty-year old catherine denevue singing her lines. i'm not a big fan of musicals but this was special.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Atonement
    Posted by RogerTaylor

I just picked this one up from the library along with two others,  I'll tell you what I think on Monday!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite romantic movies? : I just picked this one up from the library along with two others,  I'll tell you what I think on Monday!
    Posted by dog-lady

Thought it was very well done...I hope you like it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Atonement,  I just realized I saw this already, it was very good, but sad, I will watch it again anyway!     Two Lovers,   just watched this, never realized what a good actor Joaquin Phoenix is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bettty. Show Bettty's posts

Wuthering Heights with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes. A love that goes as deep as the rocks of the earth... this movie kills me everytime!

Sections
Shortcuts