1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpbf. Show jpbf's posts

Re: Your favorite zombie movies

I thought that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD should have gotten  the top spot of your list of 20.  I'll never foreget the first time I saw it in a small movie theatre in coastal Southern California: a girl fainted during the scene of the zombies  eating the remains of the two teenagers who perished in the explosion of their pick-up truck, and she had to be carried out on a stretcher.  That's a true story.

A lot of zombie movies are gorier than NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.  But none  has the plot tension of it.  And the scene of the little zombie girl killing her own mother and knawing on the arm of her dead father is particularly disturbing.

Perhaps the most interesting plot twist in the movie is that heroic black guy was wrong, and the obnoxious white guy was right.  The obnoxious white guy argued going to the basement of the house.  The heroic black guy says that it is a death trap.  After everybody else is killed by the zombies, the hero finds sanctuary from the zombie assault in the basement, which the obnoxious white guy had urged everybody to do in the first place.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dunworkin. Show dunworkin's posts

Hands down Shawn of the Dead - one of the funniest movies about zombies I've ever seen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pharmlib. Show pharmlib's posts

Just this week, courtesy of streaming Netflix, I watched two flicks about living dead girls.  Deadgirl, which is compelling and VERY disturbing, and one that didn't make the list, Camille, with Sienna Miller and James Franco.  Miller dies early on in her honeymoon trip, but keeps waking up, though she's subtlely decomposing.  I've read here that Franco didn't like the flick - he seems to be sulking in every frame, but having grown up in Niagara Falls I had to order it.  Sienna (overlooked for being hottest chick cop in Resident Evil 2) is sweet, the late David Carradine is... interesting, the producers confuse which side of the Rainbow Bridge is the States and which is Canada, but I liked it.  I reallly liked it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mightyadam. Show mightyadam's posts

Why in the world is "Dead Alive" not on this list. The Sumantran rat monkey! kung fu priest! greaser zombies! Baby Zombie! Lawnmower scene!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TyTheTiler. Show TyTheTiler's posts

For the very reasons you think it should be on the list...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigRedCat. Show BigRedCat's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite zombie movies:
    [QUOTE]Why in the world is "Dead Alive" not on this list. The Sumantran rat monkey! kung fu priest! greaser zombies! Baby Zombie! Lawnmower scene!
    Posted by mightyadam[/QUOTE]

Um, did you look at #2 on the list? Dead Alive is there (a.k.a. Braindead).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldDude3. Show OldDude3's posts

Gotta go with the original "Night of the Living Dead" .  Sorry but it set the standard.  All others, even the earlier movies are set against it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronicbronxitis. Show chronicbronxitis's posts

Night of the Comet; how can that not be on here?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzsleeper. Show bzsleeper's posts

Shaun of the Dead

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosinezero. Show cosinezero's posts

Dellamorte dellamore ("Cemetary Man" in the US). Brilliant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sylvnseekr. Show sylvnseekr's posts

Dawn of the Dead,tops my list.Both versions are great.  For a zombie primer, read "the zombie cronicles' by Mel Brooks' son(sorry ,can't remember his first name) It's the best book on zombie behavior,put forth in a contemporary adventure format. Do you know why you're not safe from zombies on a zombie -free island? you'll know if you read the book!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FdRTress. Show FdRTress's posts

Where's Chopper Chicks in Zombietown?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RockTripod. Show RockTripod's posts

It is not called the Zombie Chronicles.  It is called the 'Zombie Survival Guide' by Max Brooks.  It isn't an adventure book, it reads like a field manual.  World War Z is his novel, which is utterly fantastic. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricJ422. Show EricJ422's posts

Personally, I agree with the original version of "Dawn of the Dead" as the best zombie movie ever.  The thought of the entire world succumbing to the zombie hordes made me shiver.  It had a thread of reality that made one think "What if this actually happened"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sylvnseekr. Show sylvnseekr's posts

Thanks rock.I knew that I wasn't accurate with Max's book, but loved it(my 15 year old son had me read it). Right. a field manual,sort of. Max is talented. thanks for correcting me,i was hoping someone would. Every zombie fan NEEDS to read World War Z.   Dawns of the Deads are still the best pure zombie movies(i think). 28 Days Later has started a new Zombie culture.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

How on Earth could the writer of this list forget to add Shawn of the Dead????  A rip roaring hilarious movie. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_599892. Show user_599892's posts

Whoa - hold on. Land of the Dead is an awful, awful movie. Like: sue-the-producers-to-get-your-money-back-awful. Where is Shock Waves??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DjFinny8. Show DjFinny8's posts

They got #1 correct.  The original Dawn of the Dead is by far the best zombie movie ever made.   You can actually feel the tension throughout the movie, the way the world and civilization just falls apart over time.   Very creepy.

Also, I agree with another poster, where the heck was Cemetery Man and Evil Dead (1 or 2)?   And "Zombie" was also amazing, probably should have been ranked #3 or #2

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"Sex And The City"

What...too soon...??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Anyway...

...though it's not a "zombie" flick per se, I really liked "28 Days Later" and, to a lesser extent, "28 Weeks Later".  Something about zombies on pure adrenaline running full bore through the empty streets of London made that first film scarier than the norm.  The societal theme coursing throughout also made it more relevant and disturbing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from footsyball. Show footsyball's posts

EVIL DEAD.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite zombie movies:
    [QUOTE]How on Earth could the writer of this list forget to add Shawn of the Dead????  A rip roaring hilarious movie. 
    Posted by snappa46[/QUOTE]

Shaun of the Dead is there - #5

I didn't personally care much for Day of the Dead - it was ok and I'd watch it again, but a bit too much 80's flair for me.  I watched Land of the Dead again this past weekend - I didn't hate it like some did, but i concur it's not even close to the best.

Looking forward to seeing some on this list I had not heard of - like Dead Snow.

I think Night of the Living Dead still holds up as a very scary flick, even without fancy effects and slow-moving zombies.  And I still get a shock out of the ending even though I know what happens.

Did anyone notice that in the still shot of the Dawn of the Dead remake the zombie in the front is all icky and decomposing - except for his belly.  LOL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaj614. Show kaj614's posts

Zombie Strippers! Hilarious.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorUpside. Show majorUpside's posts

I like 28 Days Later

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KTMBXL. Show KTMBXL's posts

I agree with your #1.

I disagree with omitting "28 Weeks Later" simply because of the opening scene- it's tough to think of a 5-minute part of a different movie that even comes close.  You'll be frightened, extremely uncomfortable, and when it's finally over you'll be relieved, fatigued, and you'll feel absolutely terrible.  That's what it's about, right?  :D

Surprised to see "Deadgirl" there.  Before I saw it (just a couple weeks ago), I would have said that it would be really tough for a zombie movie to be "shocking" these days.  I guess the possiblility of this particular totally-f'ing-deranged scenario hadn't crossed my mind.  Jesus, it's demented, depraved, you say "oh god whoever wrote this is sick" a lot, etc....  There's some horrible acting here and there, unfortunately.  And it's mean, bleak, black, and dark pretty much the whole way through.  Tough to watch- kinda wish I hadn't.

p.s.  I enjoyed "the signal" too, though I think I'm in the minority there. 

Sections
Shortcuts