1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCAEStaff. Show BDCAEStaff's posts

Your review of the Oscars?

Anne Hathaway and James Franco host; Christian Bale and Melissa Leo take home Oscars for their supporting roles in "The Fighter"; Gryneth Paltrow takes the stage to sing ... so, what's your review? Memorable or dull? Any surprises? Check out complete coverage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Watch-Hill. Show Watch-Hill's posts

Re: Your review of the Oscars?

James Franco was wooden and just plain strange- The peculiar squinting and looking off in the distance and rarely making eye contact or a human one with fellow host Anne Hathaway- it was like he was disinterested or distracted, like he was mentally composing his tweets while on stage- I felt badly for Ms. Hathaway who basically had to carry the show herself

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamswiss. Show teamswiss's posts

James Franco is an actor right?
    Why didn't he act like he cared?
    When he spoke the air went out of the room-talk about no charisma, this guy has rigamortis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from who-cares-1940. Show who-cares-1940's posts

I agree about Franco. He seemed spaced out. He may be able to act from a script, but he's no presenter.

On the whole, though, I thought the show was boring. As usual, some of the acceptance speeches were beyond long-winded. The Oscars should be an hour or an hour and a half maximum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

The. WORST. Oscar Broadcast. EVER.

Franco & Hathaway were just AWFUL!!!!  It was excruciating to watch.  Bring back the veterans.  Kirk Douglass was more charming & funny in his few minutes than the hosts were all night.

I made mental notes all night on what could have been cut to make the snore fest shorter.  Really, it boggles the mind how bad this was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stoneboulder. Show stoneboulder's posts

Have to agree with alll other posts so far - Presenters were terrible (seriously -Anne H had to change dresses how many times? and to what end?) and the acceptance speeches were all painful to hear and apparently only catered to the rostra of  future job prospects.  YAWN. The only upside was that funny as he is, Billy Crystal's botox treatmens have sucked all the vitality and expression out of his face, so it could have been painful to sit through a show with him too. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cryan94. Show cryan94's posts

Charlie Sheen looked great handing that award to Melissa Leo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jackarooty. Show Jackarooty's posts

I'm in my late 50s and have never missed an Oscars show.  This was the worst!  THE WORST!  It lacked humor, style and good entertainment.  The only time any class and wit were displayed was when Colin Firth won and gave his acceptance speech.
    I am an insomniac and I should have recorded the show so that I could put it on every night and fall asleep on a timely basis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DreamboatAnnie. Show DreamboatAnnie's posts

Worst ever and thought it might sound mean and I realize he is an icon in Hollywood, please stop bring Kirk Douglas out  - it's kind of creepy. Sorry. Leave the man to his dignity.  But he was comical, I'll say that much.
    Franco was droll. Hathaway was personable and can sing. Thought she was OK but an odd pairing and not sure what the reason was for that.

Acceptance speeches were brutal. How does a best actress and best actor manage to use the word "um" at least 30 times in a speech and yet able to memorize their dialogue for movie without using"um" for every other um, word. And Melissa Leo is apparently still in her The Fighter character. Keeping it classy, Melissa.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rufus617. Show rufus617's posts

Huge mess.  awful in every way.  I really like both hosts, but the material and the direction they were given made them look like two idiots.  Kirk Douglas and his Phantom of the Opera face lift made for a very uncomforthable, what 35, minutes.  The winners were all so boring.  who cared who won, we've known the winners for 3 months now.  I think they just killed the last of any gravitas surrounding the Osacrs.  Movies are gone from the theater in a week, they're on DVD in a month and now they award them with a ceremony that is only lacking the green slime.  Ugh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lacus. Show lacus's posts

The whole oscar thing has run its course, like Miss America. That's on cable some night in the middle of the week, I think. Sounds about right for the oscars.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BloomingFlowers. Show BloomingFlowers's posts

Terrible.  Awful.  Franco was channeling a disinterested James Dean.  Hathaway was too giggly, bright and over-the-top.  They may be "young and hip" but they also had no style, no charm and no ability to ad lib without prewritten jokes.  Melissa Leo should be ashamed of herself.  (Really?  You had howlong to prepare yourself and you couldn't give a speech without cursing?  Really?)  And Paltrow, good heavens.  She sings moderately well, like a friend who might be envied for having a decent voice.  But a pro?  No!  Keep it in the shower, Gwyneth.  Nest year:  make it shorter and get some grown-ups to host it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from honk10. Show honk10's posts

Gwyneth Paltrow was just bad!  How much dubbing did they have to do for a movie where she played a singer?  Good Grief.   Also, I really do not consider my self a prude and understand cutting edge fashion is tricky.  Why of the countless dress changes did Anne Hathaway have to choose a dress that made her look nude to be worn when she was sharing the stage with 11 year old children?  And you can't even say well they did'nt even see her. She was right in the middle of them at the end giving Hi Fives.  Wear the dress but she had plenty of other chances through out the night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HometownGirl. Show HometownGirl's posts

Why was James Franco there at all? send him back to daytime TV where he belongs. He's awful. While I'm on it...who the heck cast him for 127 Hours? witht helist of stra who could have been chosen for that movie he was the best they could get? Yuck. ...oh back to the Oscars...he was terrible. I kept htinking what isn't Anne hosting alone?

Anne Hathaway - LOVE HER ! She is gorgeous and gracious even when having to deliver the poorly written Oscar jokes etc. She is a gem. However the writers need to improve the mterial they gave her to work with. She did her best with what was given her.

Why didn;t we see more of the Best Pictures throughout the show - that was wierd/ even the songs were held until the last 1.5 hrs. What was with that? ...actually no big deal thiought the songs weree awful this year anyways.

Oh - PUHLEEEZ...get rid the the 10 best pictures ...there should only be a max of 5!! I feel liek tis like the kids teams where they don't want to hurt the kids feelings so even the losers get trophies. enough already - go back to 5 best PERIOD.

Regardless of good bad or ugly I an dso will most of us be tuning in again next year ...why? ..because it's just fun.Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HometownGirl. Show HometownGirl's posts

Sorry for all the typos on my last post

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

The whole show was borrrring.  The highlight was when Bob Hope took over the introductions.  Franco and Hathaway where just annoying.  Leo was a space cadet.  Don't these people realize that they were nominated for awards and that they might win, it would be good to have a few wordds prepared with some pithy comments as they are entertainers afterall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mommytojohnb. Show mommytojohnb's posts

Hands down the worst Oscar show I've ever seen.  Easily of the last 10 years.  James Franco needs to choose another profession - like Elementary School Hall Monitor.  

It's mind-blowing how the combined weight of the entire motion picture industry can't pull one single evening of pacing and sophistication off.  I've seen better speeches when someone's kid starts his school report on Our Friend, The Ostrich.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EVASION. Show EVASION's posts

BURN HOLLYWOOD BURN!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I only caught a few parts - I was watching Shameless, the best new show on TV.  But I did catch Kirk Douglas.  I love him and thought he was funny and charming.  And I know he's had his health issues.  But is it just me or did he look like the plastic surgeon went a little overboard?  That coupled with the botox made him look a little scary. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mzidank. Show mzidank's posts

Over all a terrible Oscar show.

James Franco looked great but was sadly uninspired. Was it his ego or nervousness? Franco was very good in "Pineapple Express" but has yet to convince me of any greatness especially as a dramatic actor. 

BTW why didn't Ryan Gossling (Blue Valentine) get Franco's slot as best actor? 

Melissa Leo acted like an idiot. 

The set design was the ugliest in years.

The Kings Speech? Repectable, well done, but predictable and a little to "cute" for me. Geoffry Rush's performance is all that I will remember from that film.

Good for Christian Bale. Bad for Annette Benning. 

I hope we get a break from the current Hollywood fascination with low rent, crime ridden, South Boston style, ugly Boston stories....aren't there any other kinds of  people/stories about Boston?

Social Network was probably the best made and most relevant film from Hollywood this year... but since when did the Academy care about those attributes?

Just sayin...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Robo84. Show Robo84's posts

I guess James Franco bad performance last night is almost as unanimous as the King's Speech victory.  He was just bad... not interesting and almost heavily medicated (maybe a few drinks before the show to take the edge off).  
    However I do like Anne Hathaway and think she is very talented.  She even pulled out a impressive singing number too.  She seems to be genuine in her performance, even if it comes across as a little giggly.

I think it was James Franco's career that peaked last night, no Colin Firth!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieOnCape. Show MarieOnCape's posts

Gripe and complain. Its a live awards show. I had fun watching it. I am not sure why if it was so bad people stayed up to watch it. I also like Anne, I thought she brought life to the show and didn't feel contrived. She even a had a couple of flubs. Sorry, I loved Bob Hope, the great Bob Hope, but even when he was alive he was always stilted, and you could always see him look of camera for his lines.

Agree/disagree with the results I can appreciate. And did. And some categories were predictable. Even though I had never seen the film when they introduced them and there were poor children and sad part of the world I said "that one will win." and it did. But in the end it kept me a awake and interested, 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsnowboarder. Show bostonsnowboarder's posts

Agreed with everyone else's comments and logged in this AM to confirm it wasn't a bad dream I had last night.   Sadly enough, it wasn't.   What a total dissappointment (and waste of time).   Anne and James - bad hosts.  He looked smug, disinterested and/or high the whole time.  Their rapport was bad.   Bring back Billy, Alec, Steve Martin or anyone with more charisma, charm and humor than these two.   Clearly they won't be back.   Overall, just a flat, boring show.   and it's not as if this show pops up last minute, can't they script this thing better?   Here's hoping next year is a much needed improvement.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kihon1. Show kihon1's posts

James Franco - no personality. May as well have put a mannequin next to Anne for the show for all the personality he showed. He showed more charm in the promos for the awards than the actual show.

I thought Anne did a great job, but she was hampered by Mr. I'm Not Here.

The only thing - they need to rekindle the fun from the Billy Crystal years. And either make it shorter, or start it an hour earlier. Some of us on the East Coast have to work in the morning, and can't stay up until nearly midnight waiting to hear the final outcomes.

Congrats to Colin Firth and Natlie Portman for their best actor/actress wins. They both deserved it!

Sections
Shortcuts