1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?

Just in time for Halloween, we have rebooted our 50 scariest movies list. What do you think of the new list? What movies were snubbed and what did we get right? Share your thoughts and rank your favorite scary movies!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmcs. Show jjmcs's posts

Re: Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?

The Thing was the scariest freakin thing I ever watched.  I wouldn't let my dog near me for weeks.   Overall though, not a fan of the genre.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leoda. Show leoda's posts

the 2011 Red Sox should be on this list

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from echowall. Show echowall's posts

I would have

The Others
    Ghost Story

On here too. Great scary ghost stories!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billyfab. Show billyfab's posts

No Rosemary's Baby?  For shame.  A classic horror movie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainHook978. Show CaptainHook978's posts

The Remake of 'Arthur'

Oh, and 'Spice World'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UnplugYourselfFromTheMatrix. Show UnplugYourselfFromTheMatrix's posts

I thought Butterfly Effect was pretty creepy, though not on the list. Good list though

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from motr. Show motr's posts

How about 'The Howling' and 'The Fog'?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmkmkmkm. Show kmkmkmkm's posts

the Trilogy of Terror is the scariest movie I have ever seen. The thought of it still gives me the willies and I have not seen it in 25 years. That creepy doll thing!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

I've watched maybe half of the top 20, and 2% of the rest. I'm not a fan, and can't comment on the list.

But I find the "Scare factor" write up very entertaining, like a very brief but excellent performance by a great striper. Revealing only small tentalizing parts, and leaving plenty of room for imagination and anticipation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrave. Show chrave's posts

Good list with one exception - 30 Days of Night with Josh Harnett, among others in a terrific cast.  BEST scary guys I've seen in a long time.  Come on ... fingernails as needles to play a 78 record?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from humble1. Show humble1's posts

How does the original The Haunting not make this list???
    It's a classic.
    Try watching this one alone in the dark.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

Anthology Horror Movies

The Monster Club (Amicus Films - 1981): 
    The setting is at an exclusive London nightclub for monsters only. The linking element is that the horror writer Ronald Chetwynd-Hayes (John Carradine) is the guest of an odd old gentleman named Erasmus (Vincent Price) who tells the writer three stories about monster genealogy. In-between the stories are short 80s new wave rock musical numbers where teens in monster masks (supposedly real monsters) dance.
    Stories:
    1) SHADMOCK: A pretty woman (Barbara Kellerman) gets a job cataloging an antiques collection for a hideous man (James Laurenson) who is very lonely.   
    2) VAMPIRE: A vampire hunter (Donald Pleasance) thinks a strange local boy (Warren Saire) can lead him to his next target.   
    3) HUMGOU: A man (Stuart Whitman) gets lost in the English countryside and gets trapped in a mist-shrouded village populated by ghouls.

Scream and Scream Again (A.I.P. 1970):
    The main linking element is about a jogger who has been hit by a car who keeps waking up in a bed at a hospital. Every time he wakes, another piece of him is missing.

The plot is that contemporary London is plagued by a serial killer who drains his victims' blood. The police follow his trail to a house owned by an eccentric scientist (Vincent Price). A sub-plot has an eastern European intelligence agent (Peter Cushing) killing off his subordinates.

Asylum (Amicus Films 1972):
    An intern (Robert Powell) at an asylum for the criminally insane is being shown its most bizarre cases. The attending doctor showing him around (Patrick McGee) proposes a game. After the intern sees them all, he must figure out which patient he meets is really Dr. B. Starr, a former psychiatrist at the asylum who went violently mad.

Stories:

1) FROZEN FEAR: A woman who is having an affiar with a married man wants to help him get rid of his wife.

2) THE WEIRD TAILOR: A tailor is commissioned by a strange gentleman (Peter Cushing) to make a suit out of an unusual scintilliating cloth.

3) LUCY COMES TO STAY: A woman who was previously institutionalized (Charlotte Rampling) is cared for by her brother and  a nurse. Things are dreadfully boring until her fun friend Lucy (Britt Eklund) comes to visit.

4) MANNIKINS OF HORROR: A mad toymaker (Herbert Lom) tries to get revenge on the staff of the asylum using living toys he controls with his mind. 

Tales that Witness Madness (World Film Services 1973):

Based on short stories by horror writer Robert Bloch. Doctor R.C. Tremayne (Donald Pleasance) runs an asylum for special cases and is showing them to his associate, Doctor Nicolas (Jack Hawkins).

Stories:

1)MR.TIGER: A troubled boy (Russell Lewis) with bickering and abusive parents (Georgia Brown and Donald Houston) takes consolation in an imaginary friend named Mister Tiger. However, Mister Tiger has ideas of his own on how to help...

2) PENNY-FARTHING: A man who owns an antique shop bequeathed to him by his Uncle Arthur finds a penny-farthing bike that can go back in time. However, his trips to the past may endanger the present.

3) MEL: A man (Michael Jayston) becomes obsessed with a decorative piece of wood he showcases in his house. His wife (Joan Collins) becomes jealous of the attention it gets and tries to get him to get rid of it.  

4) LUAU: A vain middle-aged woman (Kim Novak) vies with her young daughter (Mary Tamm) for the attentions of a handsome young Polynesian prince.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Paranormal Activity has no business on this or any other best-of list.  Pathetic.

List "good":
    Session 9
    28 Days Later

List "bad":
    Signs
    Fire In The Sky

List "missing":
    Let The Right One In

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Sgt. Pepper movie is pretty scary on many levels - first of which is the decision to even make it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Telson13. Show Telson13's posts

"Let Me In" is better than any movie on this list, or at least the 35 or so movies I've seen on it.. The Swedish version is good, but the Amercan version by Matt Reeves with Chloe Grace Moretz far exceeds any horror film I've seen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Telson13. Show Telson13's posts

The Zuni fetish doll...that thing running around with the teeth, and eyes, hiding under couches and slashing at her with the knife...still bugs me out too. Nice call

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Telson13. Show Telson13's posts

). Still, "Let Me In" is so great on so many levels, as a coming of age story, a love story, a suspense thriller, and a rare "faithful to the mythology" vampire film, with terrific acting, direction, and cinematography...a criminal omission from the top of this list

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Telson13. Show Telson13's posts

Re: top 50 horror

Paranormal activity is another low-budget film that does a great job with suspense. "The Mist" is a rare, quality SK adaptation, as was "The Shining" (although it failed to capture the supernatural element of the book

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamulherin. Show tamulherin's posts

Silent Night, Bloody Night came 4 years after the Wizard of Gore.  Most other slasher films are quite tame in comparison.

Where is the original Haunting?  Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

And Deliverance?  Please.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lynnbeth. Show Lynnbeth's posts

I like the revised list better than the first one. 

I'm not sure what number it would be, but I'd like to see "Wait Until Dark" on there.  I nearly broke my boyfriend's arm when we went to see it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nikosk. Show nikosk's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on our new scariest movies list?:
    [QUOTE]I thought 28 days later would have been way better if it ended with the implication that actually, the man had been experiencing a complete psychotic break with reality...  Though, I don't know. Not really the horror movie type of person. They just aren't "scary".
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

YES!! I thought that was how it was going to end, that would have been a great ending..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GT40. Show GT40's posts

I didn't look at the list because there was a popup I couldn't get rid of over part of the text.

Not about to pay to get the Globe online.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

I always thought "Drag Me to Hell" was a good scary, thrilling "roller-coaster" movie. One of my faves

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from freddym48. Show freddym48's posts

Great list.  I have seen most of them.  Well done

Sections
Shortcuts