1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Your thoughts on the Oscar nominations?

What do you think of this year's crop of Oscar nominations? Is "The King's Speech" worth 12 nods? Did "The Town" get snubbed? Give us your take!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Your thoughts on the Oscar nominations?

"The Town" was very good but not stellar - a best pic nod is still impressive.  "The Fighter" wins the local film matchup by tko - just a better all around film/story, but Wahlberg earned the nod more than Amy Adams, IMO.

Julianne Moore should have got a nod along with Benning...both were excellent. Ditto Matt Damon in "Hereafter".

"Scott Pilgrim..." also deserved recognition for visual effects (+ "Tron") and a difficult-to-adapt screenplay.

The rest seem fairly predictable.  Except for Toy Story, comedies get the shaft once again.

Hard to argue with Fincher, who will probably win, but Nolan comes close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from spf781. Show spf781's posts

Inception. The movie that directed itself!

C'mon, Academy. Even though Fincher will nab Best Director (and rightfully so), couldn't you at least have given Christopher Nolan a little respect with a Best Director nod?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from spf781. Show spf781's posts

And yes, "The Town" did get snubbed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThePlace. Show ThePlace's posts

It was delightful to see "Winter's Bone" and "The Kids Are Alright" get some recognition. I would love to see Annette Bening win. "Black Swan" didn't really grab me too much. I think Aronofsky shirked his responsibility by relying on a "dazzlingly" performance to cover up for storytelling that was too muddy and vague to really engage viewers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lady_In_Red_II. Show Lady_In_Red_II's posts

In Response to Your thoughts on the Oscar nominations?:
    [QUOTE]What do you think of this year's crop of Oscar nominations ? Is "The King's Speech" worth 12 nods? Did "The Town" get snubbed? Give us your take!
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

Having just seen the film, The King's Speech, I have not a doubt that it deserved those 12 nods!  Colin Firth leads an incredible ensemble cast of actors,  each one leaving their mark, thereby making THE KING'S SPEECH more than Oscar worthy. And Colin Firth is most deserving of an Oscar for his very real and poignant portrayal of George Vl - or as we all came to know him, "Bertie"  Bravo!  Well Done!  

From The Lady_In_Red_ll 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

OMG... is Boston and the region that narcissistic to fawn over local films as a source of pride??  REALLY?  As if you, the Bostonian had a hand in making the movie. As if you, the Bostonian, are some how legitimized as cool because a movie takes place within the city.  As if these movies are simply Picassos JUST because they were made here??

I am so sick and tired of Boston chest-thumping.  "look at me!"  Big cities like New York and LA have stars.  Boston is a big-LITTLE city.  No better than St. Louis, Charlotte, Tampa, and Milwaukee.  Yet somehow, most people here just NEED the ego stroked.  Its sad, because we used to be the opposite not long ago.  We prided ourselves on not conforming to "Hollywood types"  we were "real"

Now.. we need to have Little Wahlbergs sitting courtside to make us look like a big boy city.

Sad. Just sad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on the Oscar nominations?:
    [QUOTE]OMG... is Boston and the region that narcissistic to fawn over local films as a source of pride??  REALLY?  As if you, the Bostonian had a hand in making the movie. As if you, the Bostonian, are some how legitimized as cool because a movie takes place within the city.  As if these movies are simply Picassos JUST because they were made here?? I am so sick and tired of Boston chest-thumping.  "look at me!"  Big cities like New York and LA have stars.  Boston is a big-LITTLE city.  No better than St. Louis, Charlotte, Tampa, and Milwaukee.  Yet somehow, most people here just NEED the ego stroked.  Its sad, because we used to be the opposite not long ago.  We prided ourselves on not conforming to "Hollywood types"  we were "real" Now.. we need to have Little Wahlbergs sitting courtside to make us look like a big boy city. Sad. Just sad.
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]

"The Fighter" was set and filmed in Lowell.  Not sure how your jaded, dyspeptic critique fits in this case.

Or perhaps you're nostalgic for the days when movies set in and around New England were actually filmed in the Carolinas or, worse, Nova Scotia.  Or when 'hollywood' versions of boston accents were at best a lame caricature.  Kind of a shame if one thinks about the city's and region's rich literary history.

Now I can't decide which is sadder, your condescending diatribe or your specious connection to the Boston area.  (And BTW, I lived in Tampa for years and can tell you have no idea what you're talking about re: these two cities.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adelie. Show adelie's posts

[QUOTE]Inception. The movie that directed itself! C'mon, Academy. Even though Fincher will nab Best Director (and rightfully so), couldn't you at least have given Christopher Nolan a little respect with a Best Director nod?
    Posted by spf781[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, Nolan absolutely should've been on the list for Best Director.  Inception was an incredible movie (best of the year in my book) in no small part BECAUSE of his direction and writing.  That was a triumph in filmaking and for him not to even get a nomination is insane.  That's even worse than Transformers 2 not getting a nomination in F/X the year it was out (it was, along with the 1st one, the best F/X this side of Avatar I've ever seen).

Also, I know it's tough because you'd have to knock another movie/director out, but Shutter Island was absolutely one of the best movies this year and either it or Scorsese deserved to be recognized.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adelie. Show adelie's posts

[QUOTE]OMG... is Boston and the region that narcissistic to fawn over local films as a source of pride??  REALLY?  As if you, the Bostonian had a hand in making the movie. As if you, the Bostonian, are some how legitimized as cool because a movie takes place within the city.  As if these movies are simply Picassos JUST because they were made here?? I am so sick and tired of Boston chest-thumping.  "look at me!"  Big cities like New York and LA have stars.  Boston is a big-LITTLE city.  No better than St. Louis, Charlotte, Tampa, and Milwaukee.  Yet somehow, most people here just NEED the ego stroked.  Its sad, because we used to be the opposite not long ago.  We prided ourselves on not conforming to "Hollywood types"  we were "real" Now.. we need to have Little Wahlbergs sitting courtside to make us look like a big boy city. Sad. Just sad.
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]

If you really feel that those other cities are even comparable to Boston (which is a historic city in so many ways) than maybe you should move to one of them and leave us even better for it.  Is Boston as large as NY or LA, of course not, but as a city of importance (our history, schools, hospitals, museum/arts, sports, and industry) it's as big as it gets.  The only 2 things LA has over us is geographic/population size and the entertainment industry (which I'm glad we have a piece of now if only to bring more $ to our state, other than that I'll be happy the Hollywood crowd is firmly entrenched over there and in NY).

Let people enjoy the recognition we're receiving lately in film/tv without becoming so cynical to think the whole region is getting a massive ego stroke while our heads get huge.  There's nothing wrong with the pride people feel seeing our city in movies/tv and having them filmed in our region.  There's a big difference between a sense of pride and "chest thumping".  Although I'm sure there are plenty of people doing the latter, most of us that love where we live are in the former camp.

Before you go and bash the city you live in do some research on what it's offered our country over the years. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TigerLilith. Show TigerLilith's posts

Just saw The King's Speech and not so sure what all the fuss is about. Colin Firth's character did not stutter as much as he did this odd clicking thing with his throat. It was as if he had a hard time swallowing and needed the Heimlich. He came across sounding less like King George and more like Flipper. The history part was good but overall left me antsy and scratching my head as to how many Oscar nods it received. 

Personally think The Social Network should win best picture. 

Sections
Shortcuts