A great find!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

A great find!

The name of the band is Alabama Shakes, the song is "Hold On".....I like it, thought you may too.......

http://www.youtube.com/user/alabamashakes?v=Le-3MIBxQTw

Thoughts? Yes? No? Meh?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: A great find!

Pretty good. This band would fit well in the Roots Rockers thread.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I hear Janis Joplin..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxNtWEIKhQ

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Good band...roots rockers, indeed.  They played Newport Folk this year and got a very enthusiastic response.  Their album hit a lot of best-of-2012 lists.

They are also my point-of-reference when describing the Heartless Ba*tards (whom I personally favor), mentioned by polar in the other thread.

Check out another song called "Heartbreaker" from their debut, Boys & Girls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Good band...roots rockers, indeed.  They played Newport Folk this year and got a very enthusiastic response.  Their album hit a lot of best-of-2012 lists.

They are also my point-of-reference when describing the Heartless Ba*tards (whom I personally favor), mentioned by polar in the other thread.

Matty in the future please post a link of a song we should listen to - there have been a lot of posts in the past that have pointed me to some GREAT music!

Thank you - that is all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

The name of the band is Alabama Shakes, the song is "Hold On".....I like it, thought you may too.......

Thoughts? Yes? No? Meh?

This song was in heavy rotation last year, Rog, and was quite a hit (at least in the Boston region); before WFNX turned out the lights, the DJs spoke of this band in such a beguiling way it was a bit off-putting, in fact.    Don't know much about them, other than the songs I've heard on the radio, and while they seem good at their own style and genre, I'd have to go for the "meh" option, since I'm not a big fan of the sound they project (a bit of rockabilly and whatever).    Glad you found them, though; maybe they're your next "new" band to latch onto.  :)

Here's the song Matty mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15qhtO-q5M

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm now a big fan of that song. I'd give it three thumbs up, but I only have two hands.

Nice to see a group of normal people , without purple hair or flashy outfits making good sounding music.

They probably won't get a sniff from the average person on the streets these days.....because they are actually good. Today's audience wants over-the-top costumes and wacky antics, they care less about they actual music. This is why we have stars ( I use the term loosely) like Katey Perry and Lady Gaga.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Matty in the future please post a link of a song we should listen to - there have been a lot of posts in the past that have pointed me to some GREAT music!

Thank you - that is all.

I would love to RT...really I would, because I hear a lot of new stuff...but my network security at the office has blocked youtube and itunes. (can't imagine why...)

Sorry.

It's all I can do to click the links here when I get home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Thank you - that is all.

I would love to RT...really I would, because I hear a lot of new stuff...but my network security at the office has blocked youtube and itunes. (can't imagine why...)

Sorry.

It's all I can do to click the links here when I get home.

Gotcha!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I'm now a big fan of that song. I'd give it three thumbs up, but I only have two hands.

Nice to see a group of normal people , without purple hair or flashy outfits making good sounding music.

They probably won't get a sniff from the average person on the streets these days.....because they are actually good. Today's audience wants over-the-top costumes and wacky antics, they care less about they actual music. This is why we have stars ( I use the term loosely) like Katey Perry and Lady Gaga.

I hope you're wrong Zilla! I'd like to think a "real" band like this gets a shot at a succesful musical career. I know, as I watched the video, that the Anne Wilson factor - the heavy set woman - will play into thier career and that they have already been put through the ringer just to make that first album. I love a "strong" female vocal and this woman has IT. Great live too! Here's hoping they make it and "real" bands like them find a way to a mass audience...................

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Thoughts? Yes? No? Meh?

This song was in heavy rotation last year, Rog, and was quite a hit (at least in the Boston region); before WFNX turned out the lights, the DJs spoke of this band in such a beguiling way it was a bit off-putting, in fact.    Don't know much about them, other than the songs I've heard on the radio, and while they seem good at their own style and genre, I'd have to go for the "meh" option, since I'm not a big fan of the sound they project (a bit of rockabilly and whatever).    Glad you found them, though; maybe they're your next "new" band to latch onto.  :)

You disagree with me? No Christmas card for you this year! ;)

Just kidding, but I'm kinda surprised Yoga. You seem to have an eclectic taste when it comes to music. I thought you would have been a YES. I don't listen to the radio that much these days but when I do and I hear a "real" group like this I can't help but buy the CD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Thoughts? Yes? No? Meh?

Just kidding, but I'm kinda surprised Yoga. You seem to have an eclectic taste when it comes to music. I thought you would have been a YES. I don't listen to the radio that much these days but when I do and I hear a "real" group like this I can't help but buy the CD.

FWIW, I think the AB Shakes CD is worth buying (ditto Heartless Ba*tards, of course).  But then, I do buy a lot of CDs.

More to yoga's point, they were playing it on The River and WERS (and FNX) most of last year.  I guarantee you won't like everything you hear on those stations, but you may like some of it.  WERS is commercial-free, and it's fun to hear the college djs try and find their voices.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Thoughts? Yes? No? Meh?

FWIW, I think the AB Shakes CD is worth buying (ditto Heartless Ba*tards, of course).  But then, I do buy a lot of CDs.

More to yoga's point, they were playing it on The River and WERS (and FNX) most of last year.  I guarantee you won't like everything you hear on those stations, but you may like some of it.  WERS is commercial-free, and it's fun to hear the college djs try and find their voices.

I\

If and when I listen to the radio these days, I still listen to WBRU 95.5 out of Providence....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Really WBRU is about the only station that I know of that plays fresher stuff. But I still like hearing the old classic songs while I drive too. I seldom listen to radio at home.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

"Hold On" was in frequent rotation on The River last year, and Alabama Shakes was on Letterman last summer.

I do like that song a lot, but I've listened to the whole album (thank you public library system!) and did not like the rest of it as much.  It was okay, but not as inspired, at least to my ears.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thoughts? Yes? No? Meh?

@Rog -- yes, I am full of surprises.  ;-)   Thanks re: my eclectic taste, but the roots / bluesy bands are a tougher "sell" for me, and don't automatically draw me in as routinely as other genres.   I am, however, happy for any band when they have their "breakout moment" (when they seem authentic, anyhow), and that was the case for Alabama Shakes last year.

Also, I had to laugh at Matty's point re: the 3 radio outlets that played them heavily for many months last year; as I previously mentioned re: heavy rotation, there were times I'd switch the station among those three (WERS, WFNX (now RIP), and WXRV,) and "Hold On" was playing on ALL THREE simultaneously.    :)    That was not the reason I feel meh about the band, though.     NOTE: depending on where I am, I listen to WBRU also, but on a routine basis, there's zero reception in metro-Boston.   If you like roots and blues, try WUMB, it's a PBS affiliate you can check out online.   

Go with your gut; maybe you've found another "new" band to add to your collection.   :)

PS As for the holiday card, I have transitioned you from my print version list to the e-card list (read FREE) for now ... I'm not a spiteful person.   :D 

Sections
Shortcuts