"Armeggeddon days are here,again."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Armeggeddon days are here,again."

I borrowed the title of this thread from Matt Johnson of The the. The song itself has little to do with the subject but it's cool and it got your attention...I have learned much from T.V. advertising, the important thing is to get your attention...so I'll stop boring you and get on with it...

I've compliled a list of a dozen songs that I call , 'songs to protest against the rich and greedy by." ..inspired by the people who "occupy Wall Street"...undoubtedly the usual writers of protest songs are in the studio right now , but the songs won't be released in time, so let's play these old  songs as we "occupy Wall Street" (even if we sympathize from afar , have jobs and can't get involved with our brothers and sisters of middle America in their quest for fairness and justice) and protest like we did  in the good old days of 1968 , when protesting first got a good name and had so many worthy causes ( like this one) worth bringing out the banners and signs ( Vietnam, civil rights, women's rights, animal rights, save the whales...etc...). Here goes:

Volunteers-Jefferson Airplane ( no protest is complete without a song from J.A.)
    The Wall Street Shuffle - 10 cc
    Corporate America- Boston
    Piggies-The Beatles
    I've Had Enough- McCartney and Wings (congrats PAUL ON YOUR WEDDING!)
    A Real Mother For Ya-Johnny 'Guitar' Watson
    We're Not Going To Take It- the Who
    We're Not Going To Take It-Twisted Sister
    I'd Love To Change The World- Ten Years After
    No More Mr. Nice Guy- Alice Cooper
    Money, Money, Money- Abba
    Low Budget-the Kinks

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: "Armeggeddon days are here,again."

Eve of Destruction - Barry McGuire

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Marvin Gaye- What's goin' on?
    Buffalo Springfield- For what it's worth
    Aerosmith- Eat the rich
    Blind Alfred Reed- How can a poor man stand such times and live? (Also redone by Ry Cooder and Bruce Springsteen)
    Woody Guthrie- All you facists bound to lose
    Ry Cooder- No banker left behind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHckAFMzaw

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: "Armeggeddon days are here,again.":
    [QUOTE]The dream is over What can I say The dream is over "Yesterday" I was the dream weaver But now, I'm reborn I was the Walrus But now, I'm just John And so dear friends You'll just have to carry on The dream is over
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

What a great song.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Armeggeddon days are here,again." : I'n't it! And much bigger than the Beatles.  Its the 60's.  Its over, and I'm gonna write love songs to my wife and sit back and watch the wheels go 'round and 'round, cuz I carried the ball for you cupcakes for a good decade, and I f*cking deserve it! "I haven't changed, I've just grown up, I'm in love, and I've go children.  Were'nt the 70's a drag?  Maybe we can make the 80's better" And then this d1ckhead killed him. Ya know?  Everyone says they remember were they were when JFK died.  I was 3, I don't.  Lennon is my JFK, and Howard Cosell told me! Next day, 16th Century Counterpoint class (which svcks!) and Dr Mack had written Mahlers ENTIRE Sphere of Love on the blackboard (we are talking HOURS!), and said, "There is no lecture today, I will be discussing Sphere of Love, in honor of John Lennon.  Feel free to go" No one left, he wept thru the whole lecture, and left a bigger mark on me with regard to how music is music, than any other in my life.  Stunning.  A classical guy, who was simply CRUSHED by Lennon's death.  I SWEAR, I got it that morning. Ouch!
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    thank you for this, i really like it.  such a profound impact

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Matt Johnson of The The is extremely underated as an artist. The dude is brilliant

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Five to One ?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

One in five
    No one here gets out alive

Great song !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Winter In America - Gil Scott Heron

"Just like the cities staggered on the coastline
    Living in a nation that just cant stand much more
    Like the forest buried beneath the highway
    Never had a chance to grow
    Never had a chance to grow."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"The End" - The Doors

"Party At Ground Zero" - Fishbone

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott Heron

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

$2

Calamity Song - Decemberists
    It's the End of the World as We Know It - REM

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Waiting For The UFOs" - Graham Parker
    "Trouble Every Day" - Frank Zappa
    "It's Like That" - Run-D.M.C.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ray and robbie are playing at lupos in the very near future.

i've never been a doors fan, mostly because after a song or two that organ just runs right through me.  also morrison's voice gets on my nerves sometimes, but no one can deny that he is the stuff of legend.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

To me, and this sound really dumb, but you know me, I'm never afraid to speak openly...to me, the Doors were never really part of the "hippie" culture , even though their music is monumental during that time period. The Doors were west coast , but the were  L.A. , not San Fran and Haight-Ashbury....the difference is night and day.

The San Francisco groups were the psychedlic , hippie groups. Los Angeles is where a more urban, dark sound arose. The Doors have more in common with Punk rock and Grunge than they do with Psychedlia. The weren't at Woodstock , they were not as big in their time as they were in later years. They were 'artists' , the hippies were "free thinkers" and revolutionaries very much into nature, the Doors weren't about nature. The Doors did not want to change the world. They really didn't care if the world destroyed itself.

The Doors were way ahead of their time. They are the model for future groups like Bauhaus, X, the Stranglers, Nirvana, Lords of the New Church and Ministry...etc. They did not sing about "love and beads and incense and peppermints", they sang about killers on the road, and incest and many disturbing subjects that hippies wouldn't dare touch.

The Doors weren't about protest, they just were letting you know that we live in a black world, where the bad people usually win. The Doors don't sing and play for you, they "haunt" your mind with dark images.

I think the 'summer of love' was ending before it was over, with the release of the debut album by the Doors.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Armeggeddon days are here,again." : Actually, I more or less completely agree. "Hey...hey listen man. Listen man. I don't know what's gonna happen, man, I don't know what's gonna happen. But I can tell you this. I wanna have my kicks before the whole sh*thouse goes up in flames, allright? Allright!"
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Thanks. When you listen to Morrison sing, he was a very frustrated and tortured soul. He wrote lots of disturbing material. Iggy Pop, the Sex Pistols and the Dead Boys are direct descendants of the Doors. He was a punk. The style of the music was not, but his attitude was.He was a nihilist of the highest order and ushered in the era of increased decadence in Rock music. He tore down any remaining chance that your mother and father ( of 1970) might embrace rock music and possibly like it. Up until the Doors , rock music used a sledgehammer to drive home it's message, Morrison used explosives.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Armeggeddon days are here,again." : Thanks. When you listen to Morrison sing, he was a very frustrated and tortured soul. He wrote lots of disturbing material. Iggy Pop, the Sex Pistols and the Dead Boys are direct descendants of the Doors. He was a punk. The style of the music was not, but his attitude was.He was a nihilist of the highest order and ushered in the era of increased decadence in Rock music. He tore down any remaining chance that your mother and father ( of 1970) might embrace rock music and possibly like it. Up until the Doors , rock music used a sledgehammer to drive home it's message, Morrison used explosives.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

No comment on the Doors or Morrison.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I think Morrison really showed his disdain for the hippies in the lyrics from the song 5 to 1.He was disgusted by young people wasting their time and begging for money instead of being strong and self supporting.

"Ya walk across the floor with a flower in your hand
    Trying to tell me no one understands
    Trade in your hours for a handful dimes
    Gonna' make it, baby, in our prime"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Armeggeddon days are here,again." : No comment on the Doors or Morrison.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

that sounds like a comment to me...do go on

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This was not meant to be a thread about the Doors.

But, I love the direction it has taken.

The music of the Doors speaks to my inner madman as the paintings of Salvador Dali do. 

Jim Morrison may be the most intriguing figure in rock history along with Bob Dylan, Johnny "Rotten" Lydon and John Lennon. Not most talented or most entertaining, but most interesting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

My obvious choice would be For What it's worth by Buffalo Springfield...We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel would be another.

Sections
Shortcuts