"Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

I stole the title of this thread from a compilation CD by the Dead Kennedys.

It has nothing to do with that group.

I would like you to think of all the forms of entertainment you have enjoyed since childhood ( or birth if you can remember that far back!) and listening to music is obviously one of them. Is it more likely you will reach for the remote and watch some mindless junk or are you more likely to seek entertainment that challenges your mind ( crossword puzzles, board games and jigsaw puzzles count as entertainment that challenges you, watching WWF Wrestling or the Simpsons would be the type of thing that does not)?

I will give you the option of whether or not you also list your age group.

1. Very young. 3-15
    2. Still very yong but not as young as 1. 16-29
    3. Semi adult. 30-40
    4. Almost old , but still able to run a 1/4 of a mile. 40-55
    5. Mature. 56-70
    6. Very mature 71-85
    7. Nearing fossil stage 85-99
    8. Old 100-?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

I enjoy things that require analytical thought, movie plots, for instance, that demand that everyone shuts up and pays attention to avoid an utterance of, "What's going on?!"  And, as for music, I like thought-provoking lyrics and ballads that tell good stories.  I don't care for it being difficult for the sake of difficulty, just complicated enough to be intriguing, which I understand is relative.

Educational games were my favorite "toys."  When I was young child I liked 5 handed rummy way over Uno.  I think I was playing Boggle when other kids my age were into Candy Land.  Nothing against CL; it's been popular for decades for a reason, but it just didn't hold my interest.

I'm 39 - nearing Almost Old.  I like the sound of that rather than my actual group of Semi Adult. ;)

ETA:  I do like a few mindless forms of entertainment, though.  A guilty pleasure of mine, for one, is Baggage.  I mean, one of the "big bags" last week was "I frequently p00p my pants."  It made me laugh pretty hard.    Who would do that (no pun intended), admit that on a nationally syndicated TV show, or date someone who did?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!":
    [QUOTE]I . I'm 39 - nearing Almost Old.  Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

OUCH.... I'm 51, what's that legally dead ...

Got to go the undertaker at the door, he said something about taking some measurements

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I enjoy things that require analytical thought, movie plots, for instance, that demand that everyone shuts up and pays attention to avoid an utterance of, "What's going on?!"  And, as for music, I like thought-provoking lyrics and ballads that tell good stories.  I don't care for it being difficult for the sake of difficulty, just complicated enough to be intriguing, which I understand is relative. Educational games were my favorite "toys."  When I was young child I liked 5 handed rummy way over Uno.  I think I was playing Boggle when other kids my age were into Candy Land.  Nothing against CL; it's been popular for decades for a reason, but it just didn't hold my interest. I'm 39 - nearing Almost Old.  I like the sound of that rather than my actual group of Semi Adult. ;) ETA:  I do like a few mindless forms of entertainment, though.  A guilty pleasure of mine, for one, is Baggage.  I mean, one of the "big bags" last week was "I frequently p00p my pants."  It made me laugh pretty hard.    Who would do that (no pun intended), admit that on a nationally syndicated TV show, or date someone who did?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

kargiver, thanks for the response and it is very similar to what I might say. I had a feeling most of the posters here may think along those same lines, especially you.

At 39, you are still a kid to me. I have almost 13 years on you. It makes my day that someone in your age group would give this answer. I often think so many of the younger folk do not seek to improve their minds and be entertained at the same time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : OUCH.... I'm 51, what's that legally dead ...   Got to go the undertaker at the door, he said something about taking some measurements
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

At 52, I have been blessed with good health and continue to think of myself as young. I often forget that I am "legally dead."

Cheer up, If you eat relatively well,get some exercise and do not work in an asbestos factory , you could make it to 60 no problem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Zill good questions, both of them, I see no simple answer and am giving some thought to my responses. 

Kargiver I'm just giving you some trash.... I will say one thing, 51 came at me wicked fast, 39 seems like yesterday. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like movie plots that are challenging but I have a problem with plots that are frustrating.  I have seen a lot of movies where it was difficult to know what was really happening at certain points in the movie, either because it was a complicated plot or because you didn't know if it was 'really happening' or if someone was imagining it.

An example of a plot I found frustrating was the Coen Brothers' 'No Country for Old Men'.  There's a slow buildup of a mano-a-mano confrontation between two characters for more than half the movie.  Then suddenly out of nowhere, one of the characters gets killed and you don't even see it happen.  From then on everything seems to happen at random.  Some people thought it was a masterpiece, but I found it very unsatisfying to the point of being p.o.'d.  It felt like the Coen boys had deliberately messed with my head just because they could.  I don't mind complicated plots and some confusion as long as there's some sort of resolution or you're given enough to form an explanation that satisfies you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Zill good questions, both of them, I see no simple answer and am giving some thought to my responses.  Kargiver I'm just giving you some trash.... I will say one thing, 51 came at me wicked fast, 39 seems like yesterday. 
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

I knew that. :)  And, even if you had been serious, I could fall back on my having just using Zilla's scale!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'd be more of a couch potato if there were more good things to watch on TV.

I'm pushing 50.  I'll usually turn the TV on but will grab a book.  I read about 3 books every 2 weeks on average - more during the summer, a lot more on vacation, a little less during the winter.

Listening to Marley's Exodus right now.

As far as convenience goes, I have a nook.  Makes it very convenient to read and to select new books.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Zilla, I appreciate your thoughts about me...thanks for making my day, too.

Hfx, I totally agree with your thoughts on No Country for Old Men.  And, I found it way too violent for my taste on top of all that.  I can handle R rated movies, even at my tender age (lol), but it was just painful.  I liked the remake of True Grit (still in theaters?) - engaging, well-written, witty yet not comedic, per se, well-acted, and a powerful message that made me think and, especially, to appreciate a "lifetime" friend of mine.  No violence, sex, or language was necessary to acheive any of that.  It wasn't complicated to follow in the slightest, but the rest of its qualities more than compensated, making it excellent imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So far I would say most of us fall into the A., B. or maybe C.

I seldom get bored. I enjoy music that has interesting sounds and uses varied instruments. Lyrics, if used, should make sense and make a point ( K.C. and the Sunshine Band's lyrics are an example of useless words in music), I enjoy thought provoking books and books about history and biographies. I occasionally watch Jeopardy and many shows on History Channel. I often do crossword puzzles and I like video games that challenge my reflex and thinking ( the SOCOM Navy Seals games are good for both). I used to play chess , but have become rusty over the years.

However, some times after a long day at work , I will just pick up the remote and watch some nonsense and be lazy. Reality shows do not amuse me, they do not challenge my thought process...I would rather watch cartoons like Rocky and Bullwinkle or Looney Tunes. I think the value of these reality shows is nonexistent. However, I understand that some people find them amusing.

Just like we have different tastes in the music entertainment , we are seeing varied types of T.V. shows. Many , like myself, grew up with westerns, cop shows , sitcoms and variety shows. Times have changed and few if any of these type shows exist anymore. The cop shows are mainly forensic police work and the shows like "Jersey Shore" are the new sitcoms.

I think I am becoming my father in some ways. He didn't care for the Beatles haircuts even when they were only slightly over the ears. I do not understand Rap music and the hair and clothing styles ( I never understood the punk look either...but I do like the music) I never understood Disco and the glittery clothes, shoes and makeup. I am mainly a country boy who like jeans, sneakers and tee shirts. I am trying to understand the younger generation and why they watch the shows they do, why they are glued to cellphones, why they listen to the music they listen to, and why they dress in baggy , sloppy clothes. Is this an extension of the rebellion that started in the '50's? It seems that not many younger people want to think any more than they have to?

I want to be proven wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will it help you to know that I know lots of people who share our bent who are in their 30s and early 40s?  'Course, I worked as an engineer for almost 12 years so it stands to reason my friends are analytical, like solving puzzles, and think about their work issues in the shower.  My microcosm of life, though, should encourage you. :)

And, we all become our parents.  Have you seen the SNL skit, "She Turned Into Her Mother?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zilla, my kudos to you for starting up interesting threads like this.  Keep 'em coming.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I find that I'm seasonal.  I try to push spring and fall as far as possible, but I do go couch in the dead of winter.  During the other  seasons I find that I spend much of my time (non working) either working or enjoying my yard.  In the past I have built a small shed which I turner into a sports bar, a Koi pond with river ,bridge and waterfall.  Cobblestone walkways which wind through a Japanese Garden.  I've wired the yard for sound with speakers (so you can hear music any where in the yard).  And I have built a hot tub area. 

Stupidly this year I have decided to build a outdoor kitchen/ shower area.  And I am putting old analog TVs ( which people don't want anymore) mounted and covered around the yard which I like watch to either Movies or music concerts/videos.  I should be working on this, we have a large 4th of July party every year and a lot of the material needed is all over the back yard but the weather has not cooperated this year which sends me back to either the couch or the computer searching for the material to build my planned stuff.  You would be surprised how much of the material is available either for free or really cheap if you know where to look on the Internet.

I also like to work the garden which is high maintenance.  Music is on at all times when the weather is good and I'm doing anything. But then again It is on most times when I'm in the house during winter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Zilla, my kudos to you for starting up interesting threads like this.  Keep 'em coming.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hfx,
    Just wondering how you got to be such a Sox nut?  Did you attend college here, or was there another reason you took the Sox in as your "home town" team?  

Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : Hfx, Just wondering how you got to be such a Sox nut?  Did you attend college here, or was there another reason you took the Sox in as your "home town" team?  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Long answer, yogafriend. 

I became a Sox fan around 1969, when I was 13.  I'd been a baseball fan for several years but I didn't have a team yet.  I remember reading about the Impossible Dream season and Yaz's Triple Crown and something appealed to me.  Some of it might have been the geographical proximity, and the fact that I could pick up Sox games on the radio.  My first visit to Fenway was in 1974 and I fell in love with the ballpark and the city. 

There is a very large contingent of Sox fans here in Halifax and throughout Nova Scotia.  There's an organization called the 'Bluenose BoSox Brotherhood' here.  One of the founders is a guy named Jim Prime who has written books with Ted Williams and Bill Lee.  Prime lives about an hour from me.  In Jan/08 the Brotherhood persuaded the Red Sox to bring the 2007 World Series trophy to Halifax for a 2-day visit which was very cool.     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Now I have to think and I hate thinking.  I love challenges, but I prefer you not because I am lazy. Especially this Winter since I do not seem to be able to hold a thought because it is so f'n cold (thank you Lewis Black).

Edited - sometimes I just start rambling on stuff you all don't care about.
    My apologies.

In the end, all I ask of people is not to take the smile off my face. I try and keep life as simple as possible. KISS - keep it simple stupid is my motto.

Zilla - great thread. I think you hit what I was going for on my "who are you thread". You are forever my hero on BDC.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : Long answer, yogafriend.  I became a Sox fan around 1969, when I was 13.  I'd been a baseball fan for several years but I didn't have a team yet.  I remember reading about the Impossible Dream season and Yaz's Triple Crown and something appealed to me.  Some of it might have been the geographical proximity, and the fact that I could pick up Sox games on the radio.  My first visit to Fenway was in 1974 and I fell in love with the ballpark and the city.  There is a very large contingent of Sox fans here in Halifax and throughout Nova Scotia.  There's an organization called the 'Bluenose BoSox Brotherhood' here.  One of the founders is a guy named Jim Prime who has written books with Ted Williams and Bill Lee.  Prime lives about an hour from me.  In Jan/08 the Brotherhood persuaded the Red Sox to bring the 2007 World Series trophy to Halifax for a 2-day visit which was very cool.     
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

That is a truly heart warming story, Hfx!   I especially liked hearing that you could listen to games on the radio as a kid back then.   (I love to listen to football games on the radio thanks in mostpart to the greatness of Gil Santos and Gino Cappalletti)

You and the rest of the contingent from Nova Scotia being part of RSN, is our gain. 

Nice story, thanks!!   And I'm glad you found your way over to the music forum, too, b/c you are a wonderful contributor and it's probably a nice break from all the madness over in the Sox forum.   Hope so.   (btw, I did happen to notice that someone started a thread about "popular posters" again and wondered if someone had been lurking here and saw our conversation ... so no more on that).  Not another peep out of me about any thing I see off of the Music Forum.

Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : That is a truly heart warming story, Hfx!   I especially liked hearing that you could listen to games on the radio as a kid back then.   (I love to listen to football games on the radio thanks in mostpart to the greatness of Gil Santos and Gino Cappalletti) You and the rest of the contingent from Nova Scotia being part of RSN, is our gain.  Nice story, thanks!!   And I'm glad you found your way over to the music forum, too, b/c you are a wonderful contributor and it's probably a nice break from all the madness over in the Sox forum.   Hope so.   (btw, I did happen to notice that someone started a thread about "popular posters" again and wondered if someone had been lurking here and saw our conversation ... so no more on that).  Not another peep out of me about any thing I see off of the Music Forum.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the very nice reply, yogafriend.  I am enjoying the music forum here a lot and yes, it is a nice break from the craziness of the baseball forum.  That new "popular poster" thread over there turned into quite a train wreck.  

yogafriend, and everybody here, keep up the good work... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i record jeopardy every day on my DVR, and try to learn anything that i can about pretty much anything wherever i am. it can be overbearing to others, i think.

and i'm coming up on 25.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My grandmother knew everything on Jeopardy except the entertainment categories.  She couldn't care or know less about movie stars and such.

Whether that's overbearing depends on your presentation of your knowledge not having the knowledge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I hate knowledge - it only gets me in trouble.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They don't say ignorance is bliss for nothin'!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

well i'm not overbearing in the manner of constantly telling people things...i just jump at the opportunity for trivia if i can. sometimes i have a grandmother on my team, it's all about covering the generation gap.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Learning trivia doesn't make you smart.   Learning a bunch of loosely related facts, and being able to spew them out, just means you have good or quick recall.

To learn, you need context.  You could remember all the facts on Jeopardy, and not have learned one thing. 

You'd learn more by having a conversation with your grandmother and asking her questions about what the world was like in her generation, from her own experience, out of her own eyes.  That would be more enriching. 

IMHO, of course.   And I don't want to derail this thread, so yogi is out. 
    Smile