"Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

In the dusk of my 30s.  I prefer puzzles and riddles to mindless action.  I do the NY Times crossword every sunday at which my finish rate is just above 50% (fine with me - not a completist); these and other word games are favorites.  However, I also have a capacity for performing tedious, mundane tasks at a high level of detail - hence why I work in software.

I have a deep respect for the nuance of words/language and read several dozen books a year - but not so much for information as for finding and reading a perfect description or turn-of-phrase.  The language is its own reward, and good writing (or art or music) should be cherished, yet there is still a place and time for the occasional poorly-written potboiler.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!":
    Learning trivia doesn't make you smart.   Learning a bunch of loosely related facts, and being able to spew them out, just means you have good or quick recall.   To learn, you need context.  You could remember all the facts on Jeopardy, and not have learned one thing.  You'd learn more by having a conversation with your grandmother and asking her questions about what the world was like in her generation, from her own experience, out of her own eyes.  That would be more enriching.  IMHO, of course.   And I don't want to derail this thread, so yogi is out. 
    Posted by yogafriend

i just think it's a fun brain exercise...

it definitely helps with memory retention and figuring out how to access the recesses of your brain.

doesn't make you smart by any means, but i feel jeopardy is a better alternative to regular trivia because of the 5 questions about each topic, each question getting more in depth about it. as opposed to knowing something completely random, like the year a certain band formed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

trivia has lost its meaning these days...and i'm not talking about how it originally meant an intersection of three paths

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : i just think it's a fun brain exercise... it definitely helps with memory retention and figuring out how to access the recesses of your brain. doesn't make you smart by any means, but i feel jeopardy is a better alternative to regular trivia because of the 5 questions about each topic, each question getting more in depth about it. as opposed to knowing something completely random, like the year a certain band formed.
    Posted by phsmith8

It is a fun brain exercise.  Agreed. 

But it has always been more of a "test" than a learning device.   That's just the way I see it.   And maybe the way you meant it. 

And watching the teen and college editions of Jeopardy is tons of fun.  Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yes. Jeopardy provokes thought. I agree.

Unlike much of the trash on T.V.  How many "Housewives of ----, do we need ?, one is too may!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hate the housewives shows!  I'm a housewife, and I don't live anything like that...man, alive, who does and WHY? 

Some of the reality shows do intrigue me, though.  Hoarders is one.  I find it interesting that almost all their stories start off with the death of someone close to them and their resulting loss of their sense of control leads to mountains of trash (that they see as treasures) filling their homes sometimes replete with flattened, petrified "missing" pets in the piles.  And, that they can't seem to fix it by simply hiring a cleanup crew and tossing it all.  I get it's not that simple; the psychosis is totally bizarre, and I tune in once in awhile.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Wow - you are all such deep thinkers Tongue out. And although I do not watch Desperate Housewives, the show does serve a purpose to many. If it didn't, then it wouldn't be on. Mindless T.V. is what some people need. It allows them to cope with their own everyday stress. I have friends whose level of intelligence is off the charts who cannot get enough of the Jersey Shore. That maybe the scariest show ever, but for many people, it is a must have in their life. I watch a program called 12 Corazones every chance I get. It is on one of the Spanish stations and even though I don't understand half of what they are saying, it makes me laugh. And that is a good thing.

For the most part, what we watch or listen to does not reflect upon our intelligence or anything else. It is a way for us to sometimes escape the complexity and sometimes the dreariness of our own lives.

As Kargiver said, ignorance is bliss when most needed. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge can be our worst enemy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

No offence intended, but I can honestly say that I have reached my limit on reality TV.  I believe it's the most strangest phenomena that has ever came down in the history of the world.  People not living their lives to watch someone else live theirs on TV.  I don't get it and TV programming is just loaded with.  It's worse than drugs " turn off your mind, relax and "  You can't even finish that statement because there is no floating downstream... someone else is doing it.

Sorry I feel strongly about this, it's dumbing down the country IMHO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I've never watched any of the "housewives" shows in my life, don't even know what half of them are.   They are an embarrassment.  Talk about tv that has no value.     This is almost an invitation to get "brain rot" !
    Smile
    I find it so embarrassing when I hear people discuss these shows.  I have to admit to feeling a bit snobby, but I can't even be within earshot of hearing people talk about them, let alone watch them.

Not that my tv viewing habits are so intellectual, mind you. 

What category do you put, "The Big Bang Theory" in?  I love that show!  Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I find it so embarrassing when I hear people discuss these shows.  I have to admit to feeling a bit snobby, but I can't even be within earshot of hearing people talk about them, let alone watch them.

Not that my tv viewing habits are so intellectual, mind you. 

-------------------------------

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about ... I try to just walk away if possible

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

jkj - I agree with you 100%. Reality TV is beyond my comprehension, but sadly, I think the dumbing down of the country started long before Reality TV. But expanding on this should be saved for another thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

And the people whom are chosen to follow around are absurd,  It's Anna Nicole Smith, instead of anyone with half a brain

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No offence intended, but I can honestly say that I have reached my limit on reality TV.  I believe it's the most strangest phenomena that has ever came down in the history of the world.  People not living their lives to watch someone else live theirs on TV.  I don't get it and TV programming is just loaded with.  It's worse than drugs " turn off your mind, relax and "  You can't even finish that statement because there is no floating downstream... someone else is doing it. Sorry I feel strongly about this, it's dumbing down the country IMHO
    Posted by jkjband

With you 100 percent.

And when I hear someone say that "watching (fill in the name of the show) makes me feel good about myself" I cannot bear it.  In fact, if I hear that one more time, I don't know if I will be able to remain silent or polite in my response. 

If you strive to feel good (or better) about yourself, wouldn't you want to strive to shoot to reach HIGHER GROUND?

And jessey, I can only agree with you up to a point.  Escape and relaxation via tv is certainly understandable.  But programming that pretty much exploits, ridicules, and uses illnesses (such as hoarding) as a form of entertainment, is a sad commentary. 

I actually made a joke to someone about people who read self-help books and watch Dr. Phil, who NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE.  And this guy pipes up and said, yes, that's MY MOTHER.   He told me that his mother even tells him to "shut up" while she is watching Dr. Phil, in her pajamas in the middle of the day, and has a shelf filled with self help books!!!    The sterotype exists, and is alive and well, perhaps even in your neighbor's house!  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yogi - I am with you on the Big Bang Theory.

jkj - people with a half a brain are the rest of us. And no one cares about our lives. And this, sadly, is the thing that has jaded me the most. If no one cares about me, why should I care about them? So I don't. And in doing so, I take whatever entertainment suits me at the moment, protect those that are in my life, & try and do the right thing in general. But I am not giving one extra ounce of effort than I have to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zilla - I am loving your last two threads.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

jkj - I agree with you 100%. Reality TV is beyond my comprehension, but sadly, I think the dumbing down of the country started long before Reality TV. But expanding on this should be saved for another thread.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Actually, should we move into the TV Forum?

I mean, I come here to talk about  music with you all. 

And I LOVE our music discussions.   

I don't think I even responded to the original premise to the thread, sorry, Zilla!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Whatever I get interested in, I get into whole hog. I want to know it's history and all the details about it I can get. I'm an entertainment junkie, and that includes music, books, movies, and sports. I also like history in general and so I like to learn as much as I can about the history of the various forms of entertainment I enjoy. I'm not sure if that means I like to exercise my brain, because much of what I learn about could be considered trivial.

I tend not to focus on one thing too long but pick up bits and pieces of information randomly from various sources: internet, TV, radio, books, magazines, etc. But I always realize that no matter where I am getting information, I need to be skeptical about the source of that information and I have to find as many sources as I can. In the end, I know I never really have the whole story. So for me, life is a restless, never-ending search for facts and truth that never ends and will never be fully resolved.

I'm also a bit of a computer nut. I learned about computers way back in the early days of the PC with a primitive IBM that had no hard drive! I got to know the basics of computer hardware and software and soon I was even going "on-line" in the primitive old world of bulletin boards. I've been attracted to thhe strange and fasscinating on-line world ever since. Now computers are so powerful and sophisticated much of my old school knowledge is useless. But I always felt I had a natural knack for computers.

On the other hand, I have played mindless video games for hours on end to where it is almost trance-like. Now these aren't today's complex 3-D games. My brain can't handle that. I love those old classic 80's games like Pac-Man. Give me the 2-D world every time for video games.

As far as music, I like both thought provoking and body provoking music. Each kind gives me pleasure, sometimes both at the same time. So I may get down and boogie to KC and the Sunshine Band or think about the sharp commentary of Graham Parker. After all, Graham did a cover version of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back", so the two worlds aren't really that far apart.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yogi - I don't think TV hijacked this thread. It is just that we can express some viewpoints using TV as an example. Just like a song, a TV show can have a different meaning to many.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it's all about the tangents....

if only we could have threads within threads...

posting would be like those choose your own adventure books!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : Actually, should we move into the TV Forum? I mean, I come here to talk about  music with you all.  And I LOVE our music discussions.    I don't think I even responded to the original premise to the thread, sorry, Zilla!
    Posted by yogafriend

My apologies to you yoga, and all the others. I know this thread has more to do with T.V. than music, I did not intend for it to be only about T.V. but about all forms of entertainment medium that we enjoy,somehow T.V , that all-powerful , can't look away device took over ( hey , I admit it , I grew up in front of the T.V. with saturday morning cartoons, Captain Kangeroo and Bozo the Clown, I simply have to get my fix, even if most of it is garbage) .

Yes, the T.V. forum would have been appropriate also, but not many people visit that chat room , so in order to get maximum impact , I used this forum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Zilla - I am loving your last two threads.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I am trying to expand the horizons of all of us.

I think we've exhausted the "artist of the day" thing. Not that we didn't have some good ones, but I am finding more varied responses with this type thread and I don't want to alienate the other age groups by just talking about groups like Ten Years After, the Doors, Beatles etc. I think these threads that discuss social and political impact can reach younger people and older. The younger generations, even though they may not realize it, are impacted by what happened in the past, just as WW2 had a major impact on our generation, but we never gave it much thought. We are children of the bomb. The bomb has existed for our whole lives. We grew up fearing Russians and the possibility that we could be victims of WW3. There is a line in a song by MAXQ,"Whether it's God or the bomb, it's just the same. It's only fear under another name." ( just to bring music back into the mix)....this line speaks volumes about how leaders use fear to suppress us. Another brillaint one is Lennon's " ..surely not to live in pain or fear" from Instant Karma.

Whether we like it or not rock'n'roll has impacted our lives and the social and political side of it has endured and it started with rebellion, then came Dylan. It has reached other countries and rock'n'roll will go to outer space with us wherever we go.

Sadly, I think the love of convenience is greater than the love of anything else, so we likely will never get beyond Mars.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Society has always been represented by it's poets,  many of my generations poets wrote songs.

and Zill don't apologize for this thread, the conversation kind of meandered its way to here (which happens sometimes)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I give you the lyrics to a song off of the Police's first album. It is called Born in the 50's.

We were born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties

My mother cried
    When president Kennedy died
    She said it was the communists
    But I knew better

Would they drop the bomb on us
    While we made love on the beach
    We were the class they couldn't teach
    'Cos we knew better

We were born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties

They screamed
    When the Beatles sang
    And they laughed when the King fell down the stars
    Oh they should've known better

Oh we hated our Aunt
    Then we messed in our pants
    Then we lost our faith and prayed to the TV
    Oh we should've known better

We were born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties
    Born
    Born in the fifties

We freeze like statues on the pages of history
    Living was never like this when we took all those G.C.E.'s
    Oh you opened the door for us
    And then you turned to dust

You don't understand us
    So don't reprimand us
    We're taking the future
    We don't need no teacher

Always rang true for me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Me too and I made it by 22 days

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Me too and I made it by 22 days
    Posted by jkjband

Then like me, you are part of the lost generation (1957 - 1961).

Sections
Shortcuts