"Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!"

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!":
    I was pretty little in the 70s and heard the term, "guerrilla warfare" on the news.  Figured it was the only thing I knew about - gorillas fighting.  It didn't really make a ton of sense in the context they were talking about, but what did I know at 3 or 4 years old?
    Posted by kargiver

I did the same thing, nobody ever explained it to me and as a little kid, what was I supposed to think

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: "Give me convenience or give me death!!!" : I did the same thing, nobody ever explained it to me and as a little kid, what was I supposed to think
    Posted by jkjband

Thanks, jkj - phsmith's reaction made me wonder if it was just me!

(There were lots of things I didn't ask about because I thought I knew - why would anyone ask about something they think they know?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

haha, that's hilarious. gorillas swinging from trees with m16s and uzis.

watch out gorilla! gorilla bogey on your tail! gorilla sniper up ahead! throw one of your gorilla grenades!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

hey, I was 3ish, gimme a break!  ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

O.K., here's one for ya:

My sister went out shopping with my mother , I think it was, and when she came back ,she said she saw a "colored" person.

I was really small, and all I could picture was someone with red, blue,green , yellow, orange and purple skin!

Never understood that term. Much like the confusion over guerrilla and gorilla. The English language is so funny.

P-mike , the thread was never "about convenience", it's my way of making reference to the fact that our great country that was built on hard work has become obsessed with convenience. Many of our younger friends are clinging to entertainment that is convenient rather than entertainment that stimulates the brain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

My brain seems like it never stops.  Now, is it thinking about anything important? Probably not.  But I have to force myself to go to sleep and keep to a semi regular schedule (my beddie-by time is around 2 am.  I'm usually up by 8 am) otherwise I'd probably work until I collapse and sleep for three days. 

The world of the Youth is very strange.  The internet was (and still is) a powerful tool for learning new things.  For me, being able to look up a fact at midnight or translate something into Welsh at 3 am is a god-send (but I still love my local library). 

When I found a book (or a movie) I liked, I wanted to learn everything about it that I could.  For example, I was caught up in the Star Wars craze.  I wanted to learn everything I could about space, stars, space travel...I visited observatories, space museums, air force museums, read books, watched shuttle launches, even convinced my mom (I was young) to take me to the Space Center down in Florida.  I never made it to NASA, but there you go.  I had a telescope and I would star gaze every night.  I watched Cosmos, read Sagen,  and laughed to Douglas Adams.   One day it dawned on me that space travel would probably only be cool if it was all "Star Warsy" but that probably wouldn't happen in my lifetime.  So I gave up my dream of being a rouge space ninja (hey, I WAS young...well, not "young" like seven, but not "older", like twenty-four) and settled for just writing stories and drawing comics about it (which will never see the light of day).  

A few months ago I read a fan-fic (for those of you who don't know, "fan-fic" is short for "fan fiction" and is written by fans about characters in their favorite books, manga, anime, movie, TV show...you name it, they've written about it). This fan-fic was set in anchiant Egypt.  Needless to say, it was a total nightmare of fiction pounded out by a college student who wants to be a writer.   This author could not get one fact about Egypt correct.  This author could get nothing correct.  

The internet lays out all of these facts in an instant.  You don't have to write things down and wait for the library to open, or write to NASA and wait for their information packet to come back to you.  A few clicks could have made this nightmare of fiction into just a bad dream...

Even the convenience of the internet was too much.   

I apologise for the long and dull allegory.  Entertainment is what it is.  What one chooses to do with it is where the convenience comes in, in my own humble opinion.  Jersey Shore could inspire someone to learn everything there is to learn about New Jersey.  Survivor could inspire someone to learn about living off the land.  Personally, I don't watch these shows, and I don't like reality shows and I avoid them like a disease.  And unfortunately, I imagine that most of the viewers don't say, "dude, that isn't what Jersey is like"...most of them say "cool, that is EXACTLY what Jersey is like"..because it is to inconvenient to discover all the facts and form an opinion.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

a rainbow "colored" person - that's hilarious!  And, like jkj said, what else would a small child think?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

At last check this post has 82 replies.

I am totally amazed that this brainchild of mine got so much attention.

You astute folks are the best!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I guess I'm late to this party.  A quick skim of the thread hasn't turned up any mention of physical pasttimes. 

I'm 51, and one thing I've been alternately wondered and groused about, is how you never see kids out on the streets playing.  We were out there year round. This time of year the goals made out of someones boots would be up and we'd be playing street hockey. (Bobby Orr was King back then).  And then we moved on to baseball.  We'd play organized ball for sure,  but they're be a ton of pickup games in the nearest piece of grass that could hold us.  And football, mostly touch, again in the streets, but sometimes tackle in the grass.  And street hoops.  Everyone was outside.

I can't remember the last time I saw kids outside playing like that. If they play at all, it's organized and only organized. Which might be half the problem. Even the organized stuff, my parents rarely showed up to watch, and I preferred it that way.  Now they're into it way too much, when they're into it all.   And good sportmanship seems out the window, more win at any cost.  I normally start winding up into my stock spiel about how terrible the hippie generation was at parenting, but I guess I'll spare you since I'm heading out for the weekend in a second.

I'm still active.  Thanks to all this snow I have been snow shoeing, x/c skiing, downhill, and doing some straight hikes,  often one of these in the morning and another in the afternoon.  And the folks we're running into out there all have the biggest grins ever on their faces.  If we stop and talk we all wonder how anyone can complain about the weather.  

So, I've had way too much coffee today. Put the remotes down and get outside, it's glorious! Kids put the freakin' gameboy down, and play a real game!

Okay I'll get off my soapbox now...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

at least now they are starting to have those motion sensor games where you actually have to exercise...not popular, but still

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I guess I'm late to this party.  A quick skim of the thread hasn't turned up any mention of physical pasttimes.  I'm 51, and one thing I've been alternately wondered and groused about, is how you never see kids out on the streets playing.  We were out there year round. This time of year the goals made out of someones boots would be up and we'd be playing street hockey. (Bobby Orr was King back then).  And then we moved on to baseball.  We'd play organized ball for sure,  but they're be a ton of pickup games in the nearest piece of grass that could hold us.  And football, mostly touch, again in the streets, but sometimes tackle in the grass.  And street hoops.  Everyone was outside. I can't remember the last time I saw kids outside playing like that. If they play at all, it's organized and only organized. Which might be half the problem. Even the organized stuff, my parents rarely showed up to watch, and I preferred it that way.  Now they're into it way too much, when they're into it all.   And good sportmanship seems out the window, more win at any cost.  I normally start winding up into my stock spiel about how terrible the hippie generation was at parenting, but I guess I'll spare you since I'm heading out for the weekend in a second. I'm still active.  Thanks to all this snow I have been snow shoeing, x/c skiing, downhill, and doing some straight hikes,  often one of these in the morning and another in the afternoon.  And the folks we're running into out there all have the biggest grins ever on their faces.  If we stop and talk we all wonder how anyone can complain about the weather.   So, I've had way too much coffee today. Put the remotes down and get outside, it's glorious! Kids put the freakin' gameboy down, and play a real game! Okay I'll get off my soapbox now...
    Posted by SlimPickensII

This is such an awesome post and although totally unrelated to music, who cares?

We used to play baseball, football, soccer, basketball, street hockey, a form of hide 'n' seek involving about 5 or 6 neighbors yards. We used to swim and play all sorts of games in the pool.

I understand the allure of video games, some of them are real challenging and the graphics are so neat. I was hooked pretty good for a while. At 52 , I don't actually make time to exercise. I have a certain amount of physical work at my job ( lots of lifting and mostly on my feet all day), I do not use a riding mower and I do not own a snowblower or a plow (driveway is about 60 feet long at least). Yes, this kid gets plenty of exercise ( LATELY WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK DUE TO THE #$&%*ING SNOW!).

Funny thing is I rarely ever see anyone under 35 shoveling snow. Why is that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I guess I'm late to this party.  A quick skim of the thread hasn't turned up any mention of physical pasttimes.  I'm 51, and one thing I've been alternately wondered and groused about, is how you never see kids out on the streets playing.  We were out there year round. This time of year the goals made out of someones boots would be up and we'd be playing street hockey. (Bobby Orr was King back then).  And then we moved on to baseball.  We'd play organized ball for sure,  but they're be a ton of pickup games in the nearest piece of grass that could hold us.  And football, mostly touch, again in the streets, but sometimes tackle in the grass.  And street hoops.  Everyone was outside. I can't remember the last time I saw kids outside playing like that. If they play at all, it's organized and only organized. Which might be half the problem. Even the organized stuff, my parents rarely showed up to watch, and I preferred it that way.  Now they're into it way too much, when they're into it all.   And good sportmanship seems out the window, more win at any cost.  I normally start winding up into my stock spiel about how terrible the hippie generation was at parenting, but I guess I'll spare you since I'm heading out for the weekend in a second. I'm still active.  Thanks to all this snow I have been snow shoeing, x/c skiing, downhill, and doing some straight hikes,  often one of these in the morning and another in the afternoon.  And the folks we're running into out there all have the biggest grins ever on their faces.  If we stop and talk we all wonder how anyone can complain about the weather.   So, I've had way too much coffee today. Put the remotes down and get outside, it's glorious! Kids put the freakin' gameboy down, and play a real game! Okay I'll get off my soapbox now...
    Posted by SlimPickensII

100% in agreement. We were in the schoolyard every day playing softball, basketball or football. I guess that is why this government is so concerned with the increasing number of kids who have become obese.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, it's sad, but true.  I just saw a spot on the news tonight about how shoveling snow can be a workout.  They interviewed a trainer.  REALLY?  You can get activity OUTSIDE and NOT in a GYM?  Amazing!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Oh yeah, when I was a kid I played outdoors all the time. All the kids did.

But I have large yard so I do have a riding mower. And I also have a snowblower, but even using that can be strenuous. When we move into our house 11 years ago my wife and I shoveled enough to know we would rather do other things with our time. Besides, shoveling snow when you're over 50 is like what someone told me that playing basketball when you're over 50 is: a heart attack waiting to happen. But I did find another activity to make me feel like I might drop dead. Roof raking! That is a killer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hard manual labor is only a killer if it's infrequent...at any age.  Roof raking is as dangerous as shoveling if you're not used to the requirements of the job.  Careful out there, everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Well, I can't say much for anywhere else, but in the small town where I live - even on my street, kids still play outside all the time.  There's always kids down at the schoolyard in the summer or at the park.  I don't notice it so much in the city, however.  Then again, this is a different world we live in now than we did when we were kids.   When we played outside, we did so without our parents hanging around in the background...anymore, it simply isn't safe to let your young kids outside alone to play.  And nothing is more of a buzzkill than having Mom standing on the sidelines (well, to most kids, anyway).  Of course, I won't even go into the "Parents simply don't have time to take their kids outside to play" BS..that's probably for a whole other forum....

But out here in the sticks (where I reside) in the heartland of the USA, kids do still play outside. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i see lots of kids playing outside, usually running in the middle of the road and not caring to move when i drive by...spewing f bombs and no parents to be found

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm out near the Quabbin, very rural, and I've never seen a child playing in a yard unless you count riding a snowmobile around in circles "playing."  I was thinking more like "cops and robbers" and the totally non-PC game of "cowboys and Indians" like we used to play.

I'm glad somebody's kids are, though...somewhere.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I'm out near the Quabbin, very rural, and I've never seen a child playing in a yard unless you count riding a snowmobile around in circles "playing."  I was thinking more like "cops and robbers" and the totally non-PC game of "cowboys and Indians" like we used to play. I'm glad somebody's kids are, though...somewhere.
    Posted by kargiver

Actually...I think you have a very valid point there....I see them playing on the trampoline, or with their Kiddie Cars on on the swingsets....but I don't see any RPG type games like Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers, War.... games that require creativity and imagination....

...though I did almost get caught in a crossfire between two kids at WalMart having an imaginary shoot-out...imaginary bullet wounds are difficult to overcome, and with my luck, the imaginary emergency room doctor would have not been very cute. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's too bad; I was happy to read that kids were playing somewhere even if it's not around here.  At least they are getting fresh air on the trampoline, though, not watching TV or playing video games exclusively for fun.  But, like you, I would love to see kids using their imaginations...could they if they had to, do you think?  I wonder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

FYI - Give me convenience

Sections
Shortcuts