"Give Me Convenience! : Part 2" (Trending)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: "Give Me Convenience! : Part 2" (Trending)

In Response to Re: "Give Me Convenience! : Part 2" (Trending):
    In Response to Re: "Give Me Convenience! : Part 2" (Trending) : Thank you for the list. Of your list I have only seen The Departed. I remember seeing ads for the most of the rest you listed, but I think none of them sparked any interest for me. (Please don't take this as me being dismissive of your list.)I guess a lot of this has to do with personal taste as far as subject matter of the movies. These movies may be very good, but I am unlikely to seek them out to watch. I have a tendency to either watch movies from "my time", which is mainly the 70's and 80's, or to go back to the movies from before "my" time. Don't know if this is a function of my getting "old" or the types of movies being made.
    Posted by devildavid

No problem and I'm not the least offended.   But you did ask for a list of movies because you said you wanted to check them out. So I'm not sure why you asked unless you wanted to see a list just so you could compare how you felt then with how you feel now with regard to seeing some recent films that have come out in the past 10 years or so.

You don't need a "reason" if you don't want to see a movie.  I had an experience a few months ago about this concise issue, "the reason" I didn't want to see a movie, specifically, "Crazy Heart."    I was out with a close friend and her BF and he asked me why I didn't want to see "Crazy HEART" and I just told him "it didn't interest me" and 30 minutes later, I was still being grilled for a "real" reason!!  
    It was a great movie, Jeff Bridges was great, it's about music, it's got romance, blah blah blah, so why didn't I want to see it?  It wasn't good enough for me to say "it doesn't interest me" ... finally, after putting me on trial for 30 minutes, I was told that I was "opinionated" !!!   Oh really?  I am still laughing over this.  (note: my opinion was that this guy isn't used to anyone disagreeing with him, and because I did, moreorless, he had to put me in a "bin" of some sort since I must be wrong not to agree with him!  Now I can see why no one disagrees with him ... it's hardly worth it!)

So I'm the last person to insist that you see a movie if it doesn't interest you, but at the same time, you might want to conduct a little experiment, and maybe see one of those films (and BTW, there were other suggestions for you in a few other posts).   It might be fun for you to at least check out a film with no expectations. 
    Smile

ETA: GOT THE CRAZY HORSE FIXED!!  ha ha!!  I guess that guy got me pretty rattled when he put me on trial about this movie (and now I will NEVER see it, even if it's just to be stubborn!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: "Give Me Convenience! : Part 2" (Trending) : Don't forget Andrea Martin and Catherine O'Hara from SCTV. They did some great work on that show.
    Posted by devildavid

Absolutely, those two were killer on that show.  Catherine O'Hara's 'Lola Heatherton' was one of the funniest character creations I've ever seen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: "Give Me Convenience! : Part 2" (Trending) : No problem and I'm not the least offended.   But you did ask for a list of movies because you said you wanted to check them out. So I'm not sure why you asked unless you wanted to see a list just so you could compare how you felt then with how you feel now with regard to seeing some of the more recent films that have come out in the past 10 years or so. You don't need a "reason" if you don't want to see a movie.  I had an experience a few months ago about this concise issue, "the reason" I didn't want to see a movie, specifically, "Crazy Horse."    I was out with a close friend and her BF and he asked me why I didn't want to see "Crazy Horse" and I just told him "it didn't interest me" and 30 minutes later, I was still being grilled for a "real" reason!!   It was a great movie, Jeff Bridges was great, it's about music, it's got romance, blah blah blah, so why didn't I want to see it?  It wasn't good enough for me to say "it doesn't interest me" ... finally, after putting me on trial for 30 minutes, I was told that I was "opinionated" !!!   Oh really?  I am still laughing over this.  (note: my opinion was that this guy isn't used to anyone disagreeing with him, and because I did, moreorless, he had to put me in a "bin" of some sort since I must be wrong not to agree with him!  Now I can see why no one disagrees with him ... it's hardly worth it!) So I'm the last person to insist that you see a movie if it doesn't interest you, but at the same time, you might want to conduct a little experiment, and maybe see one of those films (and BTW, there were other suggestions for you in a few other posts).   It might be fun for you to at least check out a film with no expectations. 
    Posted by yogafriend

wait, crazy horse? the native american folk hero?

ohhh, crazy heart! i heard it was alright...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

OOPS!   You're right, it's Crazy HEART.  See, I told you I didn't care enough about it to see it!!!   (I'll have to edit that part of my post)

BTW, that guy who was making such a big deal out of my not wanting to see "Crazy Heart" is a lawyer.   But so is my best friend, so I don't want to make that the sole issue of why he was questioning me the way he was over my "reasoning" for not wanting to see a movie.  Cheesh. 

Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"For me all this online stuff really hasn't changed the way I stumble onto new things. It's been a meandering path all along.  And it doesn't have to be new, just new to me."

I have to go with Slim, here.  This is especially true for any generation of music; going forward is fine, but looking back to introduce yourself to or find "new" music is just as valid.   If it's new to me, a new discovery and brings me into a new sphere of musical enjoyment, it doesn't matter what era it's from, and it certainly doesn't matter if it's considered "classic" or not, either. 

The same concept holds true for films and books.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

on that tangent, i would LOVE to see a crazy horse movie. that would be totally BA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

So I'm the last person to insist that you see a movie if it doesn't interest you, but at the same time, you might want to conduct a little experiment, and maybe see one of those films (and BTW, there were other suggestions for you in a few other posts).   It might be fun for you to at least check out a film with no expectations. 

You are right. I should check out some of them as an experiment. I probably have too many opinions based gut feeling instead of actual experience. I'll try to do what you suggested.

And that makes me think of how we might choose some of the music we like. Do we base some of our enjoyment on our expectations or prejudices toward particular artists? I've always wondered if we heard music without having any information about the performer, how would we react to it? It would be a great experiment to have someone give us a disc of songs with no information about the artists just to see how we would react to them.

yoga, I really enjoy your contributions. I love having not just you but the other female contributors to the music forum. It gives us men another way to look at things and shed some of our chauvinism. I started off mainly posting on the Red Sox forum, so posting here is very refreshing. Keep it up!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Absolutely, those two were killer on that show.  Catherine O'Hara's 'Lola Heatherton' was one of the funniest character creations I've ever seen.

Andrea Martin's Edith Prickley is hilarious too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

As far as "Crazy Heart" I've got to say I had no desire to see that movie (although I'm a huge Jeff B fan).  I was going through the channels one night and it was on while there was nothing else that tickled my fancy so I watched it.  And to my very pleasant surprise, it turned out to be a great adult movie.   I would highly recommend it to anyone to see.  I think it is a good example of preconceptions of what a film will be and how different it turns out to be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

You are right. I should check out some of them as an experiment. I probably have too many opinions based gut feeling instead of actual experience. I'll try to do what you suggested.

And that makes me think of how we might choose some of the music we like. Do we base some of our enjoyment on our expectations or prejudices toward particular artists? I've always wondered if we heard music without having any information about the performer, how would we react to it? It would be a great experiment to have someone give us a disc of songs with no information about the artists just to see how we would react to them.

yoga, I really enjoy your contributions. I love having not just you but the other female contributors to the music forum. It gives us men another way to look at things and shed some of our chauvinism. I started off mainly posting on the Red Sox forum, so posting here is very refreshing. Keep it up!

Posted by devildavid

devild, thank you so much for the very kind comment!  I do appreciate hearing that my perspective adds to the discussions we have.   I think this forum is a good example of "quality over quantity" as I feel I am in the midst of people who not only love and appreciate music, but who have an amazing knowledge base that spans a very broad spectrum.  The posters who have migrated here from the Sox forum seem to be the cream of the crop, too.  :)  Of course, I also enjoy the fun we have, lots of comments that I laugh (and howl) over, that have also made this forum irresistable. 

As for how we "intake" music, and how we embrace the new ... this is something I mentioned briefly in the thread I created about the singer, Adele.  I do agree that we all may have some prejudices that apply to our receptivity to learning or hearing music.  I am making a sincere effort to listen to music that I have never experienced before, and to be more open.  I'm just as guilty as the next person to dismiss a singing style or musical genre simply because it's not my "usual" taste.   I am happy with the results because I feel I am educating myself, holistically, not just figuring out if I like one song or another; I'm training my mind and my ears to be more receptive, if you see what I mean. 

So let us know if you decide to check out one of those films and what you think.  That would be a great way for you to try out the idea of seeing a movie "without any previous information" about it, or having any expectations.  That in itself would be fun.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm reporting in on a recent movie I just saw. I watched a South African Sci-Fi move called District 9. It was a pretty good movie, it held my interest and entertained me. I had some problems with the logic of the film, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment. So I guess we can put that down as a positive assessment of a current film.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm reporting in on a recent movie I just saw. I watched a South African Sci-Fi move called District 9 . It was a pretty good movie, it held my interest and entertained me. I had some problems with the logic of the film, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment. So I guess we can put that down as a positive assessment of a current film.
    Posted by devildavid

Thanks for the update and reporting that you have upheld your end of the bargain to see a current film!

Has anyone else seen "District 9" ?   If it's Sci-Fi, Zilla might have seen it. 

Glad it was a positive experience.  Your follow-up shows commitment, DD! 

Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I thought it was a good movie - produced by Peter Jackson or the LOTR fame.  he was going to direct a "Halo" movie based on one of the books and much of what they developed for Halo found it's way into District 9.

I liked District 9 and hope they come out with a Halo movie.  The Halo books are very entertaining and I want a movie so I can finally figure out what some of the aliens are supposed to look like.

I disagree on it being harder to find new music.  I think it's easier.  There are so many outlets for music.  Regular Radio, Satellite, the Internet, Cable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

i caught another cool movie on DVD recently, Planet Terror directed by Robert Roriguez. It played in the theaters as part of the Grindhouse double feature. It's a wild zombie fick, and very entertaining. It also has its heart in the right place too. All in all, very crazy, wild, fun film.

Sections
Shortcuts