"Sad Basta*d" Music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Sad Basta*d" Music

Life on Spaceship Earth can be rough some times.  It's not always (if ever) a 24/7 party; bad things can happen to good people; and constantly cheerful people are either creepy, hiding something or both.

For these times, we need some musical reminders of the ebb-and-flow of what we call the human condition - preferably without excessive, cliched drama and hopefully with a healthy bit of sarcasm and/or absurdism to help it go down easier.

So, what are your happy-to-be-down picks??  Here are are some of my "sad basta*d" faves:

Keane (kicks coldplay's a** by a wide margin, IMO)

Nick Drake  (such a loss)

Elliott Smith  (ditto)

Tom Waits (nobody does world-weariness any better)

Scott Walker (a recent discovery of mine; very challenging stuff but well worth the effort)

Love  (the dark side of the hippie era)

The Left Banke (short-lived but very good - "Walk Away Renee" is a sad basta*d anthem)

The Magnetic Fields' "I Don't Want To Get Over You"  (epic!)

and the great one, Neil Young.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: "Sad Basta*d" Music

Joy Division, Sisters Of Mercy, Megadeth, INXS and many others have much music filled with depression and sadness.

But the #1 of all time 'Trouble Every Day' by Frank Zappa and the Mothers.

This song starts off depressing and goes downhill from there....I love it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Try A Little Tenderness by Otis Redding deserves a mention. Actually, anything by Otis works, he was Mr. Pitiful after all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A. Cheerful person
    B. Creepy
    C. Hiding something
    D. Both
    E. All of the above
    F. I don't understand the question

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Nick Lowe, starting with the 1994 album The Impossible Bird might fit into this category in his low key way. Nick's way has always been to add a sly wink to many of his songs, and it continues in this phase in which he seems to a have a case of the blues.

Here are a couple of good examples:

"I Live On a Battlefield"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0dQ9cCfxU

"Lately I've Let Things Slide"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HO4mTPJUMw

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: "Sad Basta*d" Music:
    [QUOTE]Nick Lowe, starting with the 1994 album The Impossible Bird might fit into this category in his low key way. Nick's way has always been to add a sly wink to many of his songs, and it continues in this phase in which he seems to a have a case of the blues. Here are a couple of good examples: "I Live On a Battlefield" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0dQ9cCfxU "Lately I've Let Things Slide" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HO4mTPJUMw
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]I have kind of a funny story about Nick Lowe. I saw him a couple of years ago at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. He was about 5 songs into his set and the crowd was kind of lukewarm when he started playing Cruel To Be Kind. The crowd went wild so he stops the song and says sure, you'll cheer for the hits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Lowe, starting with the 1994 album The Impossible Bird might fit into this category in his low key way. Nick's way has always been to add a sly wink to many of his songs, and it continues in this phase in which he seems to a have a case of the blues. Here are a couple of good examples: "I Live On a Battlefield" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0dQ9cCfxU "Lately I've Let Things Slide" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HO4mTPJUMw
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

David , is Nick Lowe's song "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?" a 'positive' song or a 'negative?' I think you can take it both ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Sad Basta*d" Music : David , is Nick Lowe's song "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?" a 'positive' song or a 'negative?' I think you can take it both ways.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Nick often had a tinge of sadness to a lot of his songs even though they were often candy coated with a sweet pop sound. He also had some lesser known songs which were flat out tragically sad such as "Basing Street" and "Who Was That Man?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXQu6xerK4

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]But the #1 of all time 'Trouble Every Day' by Frank Zappa and the Mothers. This song starts off depressing and goes downhill from there....I love it!

Well, thanks for the laugh.  I hear you, I love sad music -- the more painful and angst-ridden, the better.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Heh, I love sad music.  Can listen to it any time, and do.  :)
    Not mentioned yet:

Sarah McLachlan is my girl for sure.   Lots of it.   B*tchen.  
    Forever Blue - Chris Isaak (croons his way through bad bad heartache)
    Ghosts of the Great Highway - Sun Kil Moon (highly recommend -- killer)
    After the Goldrush - Neil Young  
    "Gravity" - song by Sara Bareilles (can barely type this without getting upset -- ha ha) - I got one of her albums (self-titled) b/c I liked her so much when she was a judge on the acappella competition that aired on network tv last season -- the album overall is just so-so for me, but this song is a killer.  

Too much Celtic music to enumerate, trust me, it's great for wallowing.  :D
    Ditto classical piano.   

RE: Keane -- yes, the Coldplay comparisons are undeniable, but Keane does seem more pure in regard to their intent.  And for pop, they have never struck me any where near pap.  Definitely, I will put them into consideration.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Joy Division, Sisters Of Mercy, Megadeth, INXS and many others have much music filled with depression and sadness. But the #1 of all time 'Trouble Every Day' by Frank Zappa and the Mothers. This song starts off depressing and goes downhill from there....I love it!

Good call on JD and the Sisters.

I love "Trouble Every Day", too...probably my favorite early-Zappa song...

...for the same reason and similarly for Arthur Lee's Love, who really cut through the hippie charade and showed the strife so common in that era (and in LA especially).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Sad Basta*d" Music : Good call on JD and the Sisters. I love "Trouble Every Day", too...probably my favorite early-Zappa song... ...for the same reason and similarly for Arthur Lee's Love, who really cut through the hippie charade and showed the strife so common in that era (and in LA especially).
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Your L.A. reference makes me think that the Doors and X belong in this thread. Maybe Billy Idol too....I think he spent his time in L.A., perhaps not originally from there.

For all the happy songs about the West Coast, ( 'It Never Rains In California', 'California Dreamin')...there are many songs about sadness, trouble and strife from L.A. and So. Cal. artists. How about Warren Zevon, 'Lawyers, Guns and Money'...not a lot of happy cheerfulness happening in that strange tale. Or 'Carmelita' and  'Sentimental Hygienne.' In fact many of Zevon's songs have depressing themes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I can throw a list of songs out there.